Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice to Landlord

Options
  • 27-03-2012 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All, I would really appreciate if anyone could help me with a problem I'm having with my landlord.

I've been on citizensinformation.ie and it states 42 days notice is required when you've been in the house between 1-2 years. Does this still apply when we are no longer within our lease period? We signed a years lease and have gone beyond the end of the lease.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

broke2012 wrote: »
    Does this still apply when we are no longer within our lease period?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yes, you need to give 42 days notice. However, the landlord may be amenable to a shorter period.

Have a look at this: http://public.prtb.ie/DownloadDocs/Residential%20Tenancies%20Act%202004%20-%20A%20Quick%20Guide.pdf

You should use this: http://public.prtb.ie/DownloadDocs/ExampleNotice.doc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

have a chat with your landlord is the best idea. see if they are ok with shorter notice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Your first lease was probably a fixed term lease in which case you cannot break it with any amount of notice (except by assignment). When your lease expired and no new lease was signed, your lease became a Part 4 lease.

A Part 4 lease gives you the right to leave the property at any time (unlike a fixed term lease) provided you give notice in writing to the landlord and giving the correct notice period which is 42 days as you have been in occupation for more than 1 year but less than two years.

As Slydice has said, have a chat with your landlord who may be agreeable to a shorter notice period. By law, it is not possible to have a shorter notice period written into any lease contract, but may be shorter by mutual agreement after a Notice of Termination has been issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 broke2012

Thanks for the help everyone!

• Advertisement
Advertisement