Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Completed the game but not really

Options
  • 27-03-2012 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,128 ✭✭✭✭

I've been playing Dead Space 2 lately and got to the final boss but kept dying. So after about the 1000th death(maybe a slight exaggeration, but felt like it after 5 or 6 hours) I decided just to give up. Mainly because it stopped being an enjoyable game because of this.
    But I'm just telling myself that since I got to the last boss and tried repeatedly, that I finished the game. :)

I've done this twice before: Timesplitters Future Perfect and Prince of Persia The Warrior Within.

So my question is, has anyone else played a game up to the last boss before giving up because of getting fed up? And have you plans to or did you go back and finsih?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

No. The boss needs to be defeated.

Had that trouble with GTA III. The final mission was tough enough. I took a break for a week and then cleared it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Sonic 2. I used not be able to beat the last guy without cheating. To my childhood mind, this was baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

You didn't defeat the boss, so you didn't complete the game.

Quitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

The DS2 boss is very annoying.

I mangaed to beat it but gave up on MGS4 when they eschewed a tight control system for a faux-Tekken, slyly QTE-laden final boss. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

He wasnt hard to beat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm too OCD to let a game beat me. Have to see the ending. There's plenty of games I did beat that I really should have given up on like MGS4, Legend of Dragoon etc, not because they were hard but because I wasn't enjoying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,128 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah that's just it. I don't quit just because it's hard. I just stop enjoying the game. In DS2, I went in to the final boss with underpowered weapons and no spare health.
    In Timesplitters, the last checkpoint saved the game when I had half health, so I quickly died.
    Prince of Persia was another where it just stopped being enjoyable.

Of course, maybe I'm just crap! :) I don't like leaving games unfinished, but I would rather move on to another game I'll actually enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Had that trouble with GTA III. The final mission was tough enough. I took a break for a week and then cleared it.

The only game I use cheats on, but that's the mission at the bottom of the dam or something where you rescue the girl ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

After about 20 tries on the 2nd boss fight for Deus Ex: HR, I decided **** it. My character was a pacifist, so why should I have to use weapons I've no skills in to kill a character? Nah. So I used a trainer to skip the boss fights (or rather make myself invincible and "complete" them). I then went on and played the rest of Deus Ex: HR quite happily and finished the game. Do I feel even the slightest bit bad? Nope. Did I complete the game? Far as I'm concerned I did, even though strictly I didn't. Couldn't give a f*ck.

But in games where boss fights aren't completely retarded and outside the scope of your normal gameplay, then you'd have to complete and beat them fairly to be said to have completed the game, aye.

I'm still stuck on the final boss fight of Space Marine, for example - not going to cheat to beat that since it's what you've been at all along. Thanks for reminding me. Must finish that tonight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Tales of Vesperia. I liked Tales of Symphonia on the GC so I thought I'd get it. It wasn't the worst but I wasn't that into it. I just can't play crazy Japanese stuff so much anymore. I got some secret weapons or something that ended up unlocking a final more difficult form of the last boss. I was and am not at a level to beat this boss. I haven't looked at the game in about 2 years. Don't plan on it.

If I'm into a game then I'll clear it. I don't usually run into problems. Unless someone is watching me play in which case I can manage to not be able to leave an empty room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I played infamous all the way through on hard. Came to final boss and tried to beat him a few times and eventually gave up, dropped the game to medium and beat him that way. I plan on going back and beating him on hard, its just I don't get that much gaming time at the moment and would rather enjoy the time i do get than getting frustrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

As a kid, I never got passed the mission where you have to blow up all of the coffee stands :o :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

The first game I did it with to my regret was Homeworld and I so wanted to finish because it was such a beautiful game
    The second was the Boss fight at the end of Far Cry but no matter what tactics I tried to defeat the big bollix I just couldn't get past him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Sonic 2. I used not be able to beat the last guy without cheating. To my childhood mind, this was baffling.

The first game I ever finished,

Isaac Frost comes to mind OP, what a wanker to beat in Fight Night Champion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I always really liked games but I was (am) an awful gamer. When Super Metroid first came out, I could not for the life of me get past this guy

draygon.jpg?w=497&h=374

STOP STEALING MY POWER.
    I always quit then. I came back recently and finished it.

I also never finished Mega Man X because the final guy was hard

hqdefault.jpg

I always feel like I finished Mega Man though because I had all (well most) of the add ons. I felt as powerful as I could get so when I failed to defeat the boss, I just went meh, and stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

SeantheMan wrote: »
    The only game I use cheats on, but that's the mission at the bottom of the dam or something where you rescue the girl ?

Yeah it is. You only have six minutes to do it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

That's a bit like this time that I was chatting up a chick, and she turned me down. I still reckon I scored :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

I feel like this for every major enemy in Dark Souls... Haven't touched it in months, but I do want to go back and try to win, because I know it *is* possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm still stuck on the final boss fight of Space Marine, for example - not going to cheat to beat that since it's what you've been at all along. Thanks for reminding me. Must finish that tonight...

Nearly ripped my hair out over that one. There's an achievement for finishing the game on the hardest difficulty. Started playing with that as my goal, no problem at all actually - except for that final level. It suddenly ramps up from difficult yet manageable the entire way through, to such an insane difficulty....ended up playing just that level on normal, couldn't finish it on hard. Ridiculous. I was so incredibly annoyed over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Nearly ripped my hair out over that one. There's an achievement for finishing the game on the hardest difficulty. Started playing with that as my goal, no problem at all actually - except for that final level. It suddenly ramps up from difficult yet manageable the entire way through, to such an insane difficulty....ended up playing just that level on normal, couldn't finish it on hard. Ridiculous. I was so incredibly annoyed over it!

So yeah. I didn't finish it last night, despite about ten attempts. What makes it worse is you can't skip the fecking cutscene before it... so you've to go through it again and again...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i thought this was going to be about games with multiple endings (MGS for example, i never realised it was possible to loose at the torture)

i hate that, cause then i have to play the game again or i dont get the real experience.

Part of the reason ive never been too big on RPGs is that the story is often too wide to finish it just once.

at this stage in life though, i dont often have the time to finish games at all

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Gave up on the lsat boss in SOTC.

****ing jumping from the hand to shoulder or whatever - drove me nuts.

Watched the ending on Youtube.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gubbie wrote: »
    I always feel like I finished Mega Man though because I had all (well most) of the add ons. I felt as powerful as I could get so when I failed to defeat the boss, I just went meh, and stopped.

He's beatable, but still an absolute prick!

noodler wrote: »
    Watched the ending on Youtube.
    As I did for DS2. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I definitely remember giving up on some boss in one of the Prince of Persia games on PC; think it might have been the Vizier in Two Thrones?

There have also been a few GTA missions I couldn't do; in Vice City, there was a side mission which involves flying a toy helicopter into an unfinished building and dropping mini-bombs I think; just couldn't do it using the PC controls, guessed it would be slightly easier to control the helicopter with a gamepad. In GTA III, I remember some time-sensitive phone mission that I just couldn't complete, must have tried 20 times!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

if i get stuck on a boss i usually leave it alone for a day or two then try again.. and most of the time i beat it then.. i haven't finished DS2 yet but im near the end (been too busy with other games).. cant wait for the rage quits lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Cerberus.gif

Also that time I beat Vergil after 20 tries... and the game froze during the cutscene.
    Rebooted, beat him again, same thing.
    Turns out my DMC3 disc had a nasty scratch I hadn't noticed until then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Aw hell no, I cannot sleep if I get right to the end and keep getting beaten. When I try to sleep I just keep thinking of different ways to try beating it, often the answer comes to me in my dreams lol. But in some cases I've gone back to earlier save point when I still healthy or had better weapons and took my time getting to the end or skipped over unnecessary stuff to get to the end in the best possible shape to win the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

folan wrote: »
    Part of the reason ive never been too big on RPGs is that the story is often too wide to finish it just once.

At least with RPGs you never have the "couldn't beat the boss" problem as all you have to do is grind a few levels, upgrade your weapons, buy more potions etc.

I love the "choose your own difficulty" aspect of RPGs.

• Advertisement

azezil wrote: »
    Aw hell no, I cannot sleep if I get right to the end and keep getting beaten. When I try to sleep I just keep thinking of different ways to try beating it, often the answer comes to me in my dreams lol. But in some cases I've gone back to earlier save point when I still healthy or had better weapons and took my time getting to the end or skipped over unnecessary stuff to get to the end in the best possible shape to win the game.

Yeah, I would be thinking of it as well and what to do, then I try it and die quicker. :)

And yeah, I would've gone back to a previous save but in DS2
    You basically have to run a gauntlet of bad guys in narrow corridors which cost me a lot of ammo and health

Maybe some day I'll go back and laugh at how easy it is upon completing it first go, as has happened with other games.

Advertisement