Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had a break-in :(

Options
  • 27-03-2012 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

We had a breakin on Ushers Quay today between 11.30am and 5.30pm. Please, if you see someone selling a Nikon D90 camera, or an ASUS UL30JT laptop please let me know/report it...

nikon-d90.jpg

asus_ul30jt.jpg

I'm a bit surprised, we live on the 5th floor and you need to swipe to enter the complex, swipe to get in to the apartments and so on.

:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Unlucky! Are you renting? Previous tenant/keyholders a possibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

wyndham wrote: »
    Unlucky! Are you renting? Previous tenant/keyholders a possibility?

We're renting yeah. It was most probably junkies looking for cash/small things to sell for cash. Before us no one rented this place for over a year so I don't think they were previous tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Keep an eye on Gumtree, Adverts, etc... aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Was there damage done to the door? Was it kicked in?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Singer73

Happened to me a few years ago. Guards said that's what happens when you live in Dublin. Aren't the guards great? Did they catch they guy? Did the ****!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Mathiasb wrote: »
    I'm a bit surprised, we live on the 5th floor and you need to swipe to enter the complex, swipe to get in to the apartments and so on.

That's quite odd. They must have gotten access somehow. If there was no sign of forced entry, I'd definitely be putting up posters all over the complex alerting others to the problem, and putting pressure on the management company (if there is one) to provide an answer as to how they got access.

The first thing I'd think of if that was the case was that they were able to replicate the swipe card. I used to work in a hostel, and swipe cards could be written in a few seconds on the computer for access to whatever room was required. The technology for apartment buildings can't be much different.

Oh, and you should think about getting a traditional lock on your door.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Sorry to hear this OP.

http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/

Worth a shot.....if the fúckers that stole it do use....and do upload online, it can match the EXIF data from the photo to one you've already taken. WHo knows. As Gavin said keep an eye on the for sale site etc.

Was there damage done to the door? Was it kicked in?

The door was indeed kicked in. They ripped one side of the frame in half. It's only a wooden frame, no metal in it, so I guess if someone was leaning on the door hard enough it would cave in.

Our landlord is going to fit an extra "bolt" lock to the door, that might help in the future, but I dunno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Go to the Hill Top pub and put up a sign offering a no-questions-asked reward or even go into 'The Bond' and ask some teenagers if they'd be able to track it down. (Leave your wallet and phone at home if you choose the second option.) The junkies who took your stuff probably don't have it anymore but the first person they offloaded it to still will.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

That's a rotten thing to happen OP. Unfortunately it is all too common. The problem is, it's all to easy to gain entry. I've had a couple of attempts in my place. Kicking in the door seems to be the most popular!..A lock at the lower end of the door is a good idea. Hope you get your stuff back!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If it's swipe card access is there no way to find out exactly who was swiping in that day around the time your place was broken in to?

Our swipe card was attached to our apartment number, so they could track us big brother style.

If it's swipe card access is there no way to find out exactly who was swiping in that day around the time your place was broken in to?

Our swipe card was attached to our apartment number, so they could track us big brother style.

Not sure, we don't have access to these things. I'll see what I can find out tomorrow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Might not have been junkies..it could well have been neighbours or friends of neighbours,especially ones who are renting and not always irish either.

Degsy wrote: »
    Might not have been junkies..it could well have been neighbours or friends of neighbours,especially ones who are renting and not always irish either.

Because Irish people don't break in?

But yeah it could've been anyone I suppose.

Advertisement