Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transitioning back to curly-an epiphany!

• 27-03-2012 6:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭

I'd thought I'd share my thoughts on transitioning my relaxed hair back to it's curly, natural state and given that there are threads on this board about chemically relaxing hair, this may give some food for thought!

I have v v curly, coarse, frizzy hair that I have been relaxing since I've been 13. When I was small, I had a little afro (which was super cute) and then my hair began growing. And dear god was it thick. My mother used to have to battle with a wide tooth comb just to brush it through as it was so curly and matted. Ever since I was a child, I hated my hair. I couldn't understand why it was so frizzy and thick when everyone else's hair was straight and long. I wanted straight hair so badly. I used to dream that I had long hair and wished with every fibre of my being that it could magically change overnight. My mother was (and still is) absolutely useless with hair and never was able to do anything more with it than try to plait it or put it in a ponytail.

Then I turned 13 and my hairdresser decided that she'd try to relax it with chemicals. My hair turned from being a big poof ball to being less of a poof ball. I was delighted, but it still wasn't bone straight. Over the next few years I relaxed my hair and discovered hair straightners. The damage was done. My hair would break off at the ends and never grew past shoulder length. I had myself convinced that my hair wasn't growing but now realise that it was, I was just destroying it by piling chemicals and heat on it without the slightest concern for its condition.

My turning point came very recently. I had several interviews and was working in an office and straightened my hair on a regular basis so that it would be sleek. My hair wasn't having any of it and decided to break off at the crown. When I was brushing my hair I realised that I had grown a fecking mullet. I knew that I'd have to lay off the straightening and relaxing but I hadn't a bog how I would manage my hair until it grew out sufficiently so that I would be able to relax it again. I began leaving my hair curly and just putting it in a high bun. I started looking up transitioning hair blogs and on youtube and found the light. I was never going to apply chemicals to my hair again.

It has been 3 months since my discovery. Listening to smart comments and wanting to be like everyone else led to me desperately trying to straighten my hair for over a decade. There is a stigma surrounding curly hair that it's not professional or as versatile as straight hair. This is complete bulls***. Curly hair can be professional if it is properly taken care of and styled correctly instead of trying to make it something it isn't. I'm so sick of watching make over programmes and everyone who has curly hair is straightened out. Why touch their curly hair? That's the way they were made!

I hope that this can be of come inspiration to others to embrace their natural curls. I had an aversion to frizz due to all the teasing I got when I was younger for having frizzy hair, but if your hair is properly moisturised and taken care of, frizz won't occur.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Saorenza

I hear you. It drives me crazy when they straighten hair in make-over shows too - as a matter of course. I remember years ago getting my hair cut before going for an interview and the hairdresser persuaded me to let her dry it straight.

I have a lot of fine hair which is sometimes curly, sometimes wavy and sometimes frizzy. I do not had the patience to straighten my hair regularly - it doesn't suit me and anyway I don't like the look of over straightened hair.

It has taken me a long time to embrace my hair though and to like it.

Earlier this year I started using a organic, sulphate free shampoo. I can't believe the difference in my hair. It hardly ever needs to be conditioned any more - though I haver noticed the sunshine of the last few days has been hard on it and it is looking dried out and a bit frizzy.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

The mad thing is, those of us who have poker straight hair that can't hold a curl cannot fathom why people with curly hair would want theirs straightened :D We always want what we don't have!

True. I alway look blank when people tell me I have lovely hair. I dye it and when asked if it is natural I always think they mean the colour and not the curl.

My mother had very thick, straight hair and I used to be in tears when she combed it as a child, she just didn't understand how to treat it. I never use brushed these days - only wide tooth combs. The amount of combs I have broken in my hair.

I have hair like my father and he never took care of his and he had a brush/Afro effect; an awful warning to me. If I don't wash it mine goes very snarly and makes little dreadlocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭mijas

Hi Saorenza,

I have hair pretty much like yours, do you mind if I ask u which sulfate free shampoo you use? I have tried (& continue to try) lots of different natural brands from health stores, but I havent come across one I really love or that helps with fine, frizzy hair. One of the better ones is Faith in Nature but I'm not sure if its organic....

Thanks

Mijas, I use Rahua - http://rahua.com/shop-shampoo.html

I know it's dear but it lasts for months! You only need a little of it.

I first came across it when I got a sample of the shampoo and conditioner. I never would have thought of spending that much on a shampoo but I got it for Christmas. It only ran out the other day (!) and my husband was using it occasionally as well.

I am going to replace it:) Definitely recommend it. Not only do I like the way it makes me hair look and feel but the tangles are so much easier to get out and no more itchy scalp. Most of the time I wasn't using a conditioner either.

I like the Faith in Nature stuff as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭mijas

Thank u I hadnt heard of that brand - wow it is a bit expensive, isnt it? :eek: But its got great reviews & awards so i will give it a go. I will wait until someone I know is going to US to get it for me though, I think it works out cheaper than ordering from the website.

You can get it off Amazon.co.uk and from beautybay.com as well. Free p&P on the latter I think.

It is lovely and it lasts so long.

And I found travel sizes! http://www.zuneta.com/shop-by-brand/rahua/rahua-voluminous-shampoo-1.html/

You can tell I am a fan :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

This reminds me of Chris Rock's documentary 'Good Hair'. It's about the African American community rather than simply 'curly' hair but it's very relevant to this. All about how African American ladies feel the need to relax, straighten and get weaves in their hair because curly or natural hair is looked down upon.

I remember reading about that movie. I must see if I can find it on Netflix.

I have a friend who I know for 10 years who still randomly encourages me/offers to straighten my hair. I don't get it.

Advertisement