Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending 4G (WiMax) signal

Options
  • 27-03-2012 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I'm looking to extend the wi-fi signal to back of house.

I've tried using universal extender but doesnt really help.
    Would another router be a better idea (used as an access point closer to the back of the house)?
    Would i need to connect this with a CAT5 cable or can i do it wirelessly?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

chirodoody wrote: »
    I'm looking to extend the wi-fi signal to back of house.

I've tried using universal extender but doesnt really help.
    Would another router be a better idea (used as an access point closer to the back of the house)?
    Would i need to connect this with a CAT5 cable or can i do it wirelessly?

Thanks in advance

Doing it wirelessly is called a repeater, this will be very laggy and will halve the throughput of the network. You've already suggested the best method, run a cable and add an access point.

Wireless is half duplex, it only allows traffic in one direction at a time, therefore it should be used only for mobility. Any static devices, consoles or media players should be cabled if at all possible. A cable does full duplex and does many times the speed.

Advertisement