Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First fish on the fly

Options
  • 27-03-2012 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

After a couple of weeks of buying expensive washing line, fluff covered hooks and lots of other "essential" gizmos, I headed off to the Tolka for my first go at flyfishing this afternoon.

After losing most of my flies in trees I finally got the leader to turn over and dropped the gold headed nymph into the pool. Lifted the line to cast again, and to my surprise I found a lovely little wild Brownie on the other end :).

I didn't see the take, but a fluke still counts :D

No picture, as it threw the barbless hook while I was trying to get the phone out of my pocket.

Don't think I'll be going back to the worm rod after today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

Hooked on the fly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Congratulations - nothing quite like the satisfaction when it happens - whether it's your first or your hundred and first ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Well done. I still have this kind of lucky takes sometimes even with the nymph dragging behind me. And yes ! once you catch with a fly rod there is no going back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Once you've supped with the devil........!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

fiacha wrote: »
    After a couple of weeks of buying expensive washing line, fluff covered hooks and lots of other "essential" gizmos, I headed off to the Tolka for my first go at flyfishing this afternoon.

After losing most of my flies in trees I finally got the leader to turn over and dropped the gold headed nymph into the pool. Lifted the line to cast again, and to my surprise I found a lovely little wild Brownie on the other end :).

I didn't see the take, but a fluke still counts :D

No picture, as it threw the barbless hook while I was trying to get the phone out of my pocket.

Don't think I'll be going back to the worm rod after today.

Fair play mate. What part of the tolka were ya fishin? Was contemplating going back down but was driving past the spot I'd usually go and was about 10 lads tops off drinking cans etc. needless to say it turned me off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

What's that place like for spinning a minnow or a mepps any decent fish in it

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

I fish it mostly around Ashtown. I don't bother stopping at Ashtown bridge anymore as there seems to be heads camped out there every day.

Plenty of sport to be had picking up small fish downstream. I was down for a walk yesterday evening and found a total of 8 small wild fish dead along the river. Don't understand why people bother doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

That's it now, your hooked.
    Wait till you catch one on a fly you tied yourself.

Advertisement