Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avenue Q

• 27-03-2012 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

Anyone heading to the Bord Gais next week to see Avenue Q? Can't wait to finally see it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Am going Good Friday (sure what else would we be doing!). Have seen it in NY & London so interested to see how it's changed. I noticed in the youtube clip from the Late Late that they have slightly changed If You Were Gay from the original..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I'm going to see it on Tuesday. I've never seen it before and don't know much about it, but hoping it will be a good night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

I'm heading on Tuesday night too Woodchuck.

Have the soundtrack and a rough idea of the story, but really not sure what to expect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

Have seen it many times in London and the last tour last year. It's an amazing show. Very funny, very rude, very politically incorrect, very heartwarming with an important reminder of what's really important in life. :D

Not sure if I'll go see it in the Grand Canal Theatre yet as it's much more suited to a small intimate theatre than a massive theatre.

Also the show is constantly changing and is adapted for audiences in different venues. I would expect there to be a few Irish references thrown in. :D

neemish wrote: »
    I'm heading on Tuesday night too Woodchuck.

Have the soundtrack and a rough idea of the story, but really not sure what to expect

Sadly the soundtrack gives over 90% of the story away. Unlike any other musical I've ever been to, knowing the order of the songs really gives away what's coming next. It's still funny though!

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    Sadly the soundtrack gives over 90% of the story away. Unlike any other musical I've ever been to, knowing the order of the songs really gives away what's coming next. It's still funny though!

Good thing I'm not familiar with the soundtrack then :P I think I've heard two of the songs, but they didn't really give away much. I have a very very vague idea of the storyline, but not sure what to expect really. I don't have particularly high expectations to be honest, but maybe that's best so I can't be disappointed :)

Just looking at ticket prices. €48 + €6 for the privilege of printing out my own ticket using my own printer, electricity, paper and ink. Way way over priced. Will be surprised if this comes anywhere near selling out. It's not a show that everyone is familiar with (such as Phantom and Oliver) so those prices are a bit of a piss take. :rolleyes:
    As much as I love Avenue Q, am not prepared to pay those prices. :(

Also I don't really understand why the Grand Canal Theatre don't discount unsold tickets on the day. Surely it makes more sense to to fill an empty seat for €25 than leave it empty (netting them zilch) as they'll only sell tickets at face value? Also they'd make more money in selling programmes and in bar/shop sales? As well as that there's nothing worse than a half empty theatre.
    I very rarely go to the GCT as I find it a rip off but would go much more often if they discounted unsold tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭baldbear

I agree the tickets are robbery but i'm heading good friday afternoon. Went for the nosebleed seats. i hope the view is good. i wonder could i sneak into a better seat if theres empty seats!

Friday afternoon will probably be fairly quiet so you should have no problem moving to a better seat that's empty, though you'll probably have to wait until the interval. ;)

Actually, I'm pretty sure they'll just close the upper circle and upgrade everyone with upper circle tickets to the stalls or dress circle. Very common with matinees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Heading to see it on Wednesday night with the family. Can't wait! It's my first visit to the Grand Canal Theatre so I'm really looking forward to it. Saw it in New York a few years ago so I'm excited. :)

• Advertisement

I got my tickets for ~25-30euro a while back, but I think it's in the upper circle. Most seats are meant to be decent enough there anyway though, it's not really that big.

I definitely think they should do last minute discounted tickets though! The national concert hall do that sometimes for students. But I remember back when I had a student card, there was one show in particular we showed up for and they said they weren't doing discounted students prices that night, even though there were still seats available (which she was trying to sell to us at full price). We hung around until literally the last minute before it started and asked again and still no go. Doesn't make any sense to turn down money for a seat that would otherwise be left empty! (it's not like were even the crusty looking or drunken type of students or anything :P)

They are doing Wednesday matinee tickets for €20 according to the theatre's fb page.

Have to disagree about GCT or BGET as it is. Both circles are waaaaay too far back. I normally would book circle tickets but it's stalls all the way in BGET. Really poor design considering how new it is.

Have to disagree about GCT or BGET as it is. Both circles are waaaaay too far back. I normally would book circle tickets but it's stalls all the way in BGET. Really poor design considering how new it is.

I was in one of the circles before (can't remember which) and actually thought it was pretty good! I think it's a really nice venue. Much better than the O2.

As much as I love Avenue Q, I have 2 issues about it being on in the GCT.
    1: The ticket prices are far too expensive. The fact that they're reducing ticket prices to €20 for matinees shows that it probably isn't selling too well. Also they're selling 2 tickets now for €50 or 4 for €100 for some of the evening shows. Not much use if you're booking 1 or 3 tickets!
    2: The GCT is far too big a theatre for a show like Avenue Q that works much better in a smaller intimate theatre.

In London most theatres discount their tickets on the day and many have standby rates 60 minutes before curtain up. It makes sense financially do to this. An empty seat raises zero revenue.
    Doesn't mean people aren't going to stop pre-booking. Most still will pre-book, but makes sense to discount unsold tickets.

I certainly wouldn't pay full price on the day, they can keep the seat with that sort of carry on. I don't think they really have a clue how to run a theatre, they should stick to installing gas in people's homes! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Got myself and the OH tickets for the matinee on Saturday (cheap as possible) and have very little knowledge of what to expect.

For some readon that makes it seem all the more interesting, as it looks slightly insane :) :pac:

Parts of it are completely insane. You're talking about a very dysfunctional set of puppets here struggling with all the crap life throws at them. It is definitely not for the faint hearted or easily offended. But it's also incredibly beautiful and very feel good. :D

Bord Gais are doing a competition on facebook at the moment to win tickets to Avenue Q. Not sure when the competition's over, but thought it might be of interest to some!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭n0irin

I've got tickets to the Saturday matinee - WAY cheaper than the evening tickets! Saw it on Broadway for my OH's birthday a couple years ago, and it was wonderful, and I'm looking forward to seeing it with a totally different cast...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Heading to this on Thursday with the woman. Haven't seen it yet so looking forward to it!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

<modsnip> no sales via Boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Going to see this on Saturday. Really looking forward to it! :)

Just on the way home from this! Absolutely loved it! I'd forgotten most of the play from the last time I saw it so it basically felt new. Some bits they changed struck me as a little odd and unnecessary but I still loved it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 cinderelli

<Modsnip> no sales on Boards - perhaps try Adverts http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/tickets/theatre-shows/227/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

fonpokno wrote: »
    Just on the way home from this! Absolutely loved it! I'd forgotten most of the play from the last time I saw it so it basically felt new. Some bits they changed struck me as a little odd and unnecessary but I still loved it. :D

If you'd forgotten it, how do you know what they've changed?! :p

I saw this tonight and it was awesome!

If you'd forgotten it, how do you know what they've changed?! :p

Hahaha, they were bits in the songs! :D Just different lyrics here and there adapted for a European audience but the original ones seemed better to me!

Just in..enjoyed it, but not overly. Not sure what it was, maybe the changes to the script/songs - some of it makes sense but why cut out half of Schadenfreude?

Most impressive was the phenomenal workrate of all 7 performers, wow. Just fantastic.

Thought the band were a bit overenthusiastic at times and didn't like the Gary Coleman actor. Still think it works better with a girl as in the US.

Not sure why the bar wasn't open tonight, theatre bars are allowed to open? Not that I needed a drink, just an observation.

Not sure why the bar wasn't open tonight, theatre bars are allowed to open? Not that I needed a drink, just an observation.

They are indeed. Weird that they didn't open it....

I enjoyed it! I wouldn’t put it up there with my favourite musicals or anything, but it was a bit of a fun :) I wasn’t too mad on a couple of characters (Gary Coleman and the guy who was with the Japanese girl – sorry, no good with names!), but there were some very funny scenes so I was pleasantly surprised!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

I thought it was fantastic. Really enjoyed the whole thing! The bad idea bears will always be my favourite.

Advertisement