Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know the quickest way to register an Ltd?

Options
  • 27-03-2012 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

If you wanted to register an Ltd what is the quickest and cheapest way to do it? If you basically just needed to prove that you did have a company name, registration number what is the best way to do and long does it take? I was advised about a shelf company that it could be done in a single day, does anyone know anything about this? It would not matter about tax later on, as I ust basically need to able to prove that I have a company, does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Dude240502

Does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭billybunty

Dude240502 wrote: »
    Does anyone know?
    Go to cro, you get directed to core, you can do it online tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

I dont know if you know the question your asking.

Are you sure you need a Limited Company or just a Business Name.

If its a business name you can do that online.

If its a Limited Company your after you should google Company Formations Agents in Ireland. Some offer Shelf Companies. These will usually be a little bit more expensive than registering your own. They will also offer to form a company for you, which can take a varying period of time.

The "cheapest" cash outlay is to register it yourself with CRO, but this can take a few weeks to process. Furthermore there is a significant liklihood that your documents will require some tweaking or may not cover all eventualities that are needed for your company if you DIY.

TylerIE wrote: »
    I dont know if you know the question your asking.

Are you sure you need a Limited Company or just a Business Name.

If its a business name you can do that online.

If its a Limited Company your after you should google Company Formations Agents in Ireland. Some offer Shelf Companies. These will usually be a little bit more expensive than registering your own. They will also offer to form a company for you, which can take a varying period of time.

The "cheapest" cash outlay is to register it yourself with CRO, but this can take a few weeks to process. Furthermore there is a significant liklihood that your documents will require some tweaking or may not cover all eventualities that are needed for your company if you DIY.

If it was a Limited Company I needed, does a Shelf Company take a long time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Google for an Irish company formations agent. You can't actually do it yourself I think, you have to be registered as an agent with core.

There are loads of them, don't pay more than e200. Not gonna directly link one coz of shilling etc :)

• Advertisement

If it was a Limited Company I needed, does a Shelf Company take a long time?

Ask the formation agent you go to, it can be done in a few days. Expect to pay e300 - e500 for a shelf company.
    srsly78 wrote: »
    Google for an Irish company formations agent. You can't actually do it yourself I think, you have to be registered as an agent with core.

There are loads of them, don't pay more than e200. Not gonna directly link one coz of shilling etc :)

You can manually register a company yourself by going into the CRO office but it takes a considerably longer period for the company to be formed.

Yes you are correct. What I meant is you can't do it yourself online without being an agent :pac: Thus it's quicker to get one to do it for you.

If you wanted to be able to prove that you had a company with a Registration number and Address, is an Ltd the easiest type of company to set-up?

I think so... All company types involve a lot of paperwork and hassle tho, are you really sure you need to set one up?

http://www.companyformations.ie/company-formations/company-types/

If you wanted to be able to prove that you had a company with a Registration number and Address, is an Ltd the easiest type of company to set-up?

With respect it sounds like your a little unsure as to what your letting yourself in for.

A Ltd company comes with some legal responsibilities and cannot easily be just disbanded if it doesnt work out. It is the easiest "Company" format to set up.

The easiest way of setting up is really to register for Tax as a Self Employed Individual and then register a Business name with the Companies Registration Office. Your dont have a "company" then, but your legally able to trade as whatever business name you register. This route is not suitable for everybody.

I really suggest reading "Starting a Business in Ireland" by Oak Tree Press - in any main library, or attending a Start your Own Business Course by your local Enterprise board.

• Advertisement

With respect it sounds like your a little unsure as to what your letting yourself in for.

A Ltd company comes with some legal responsibilities and cannot easily be just disbanded if it doesnt work out. It is the easiest "Company" format to set up.

The easiest way of setting up is really to register for Tax as a Self Employed Individual and then register a Business name with the Companies Registration Office. Your dont have a "company" then, but your legally able to trade as whatever business name you register. This route is not suitable for everybody.

I really suggest reading "Starting a Business in Ireland" by Oak Tree Press - in any main library, or attending a Start your Own Business Course by your local Enterprise board.

If you were not actually to start trading at all, just needed to have a registered company, does it make a lot of difference?

If you were not actually to start trading at all, just needed to have a registered company, does it make a lot of difference?

Quite frankly that proves my point.

Not trading just means you have less accountants fees and no audit is automatically required.

Your still obligated to have an AGM and comply with other CRO rules such as submitting an annual return and accounts. Failure to do so will mean you may be audited and or fined, and any directors may be personally liable to prosecution and or fines.

There has been a few threads here very recently by people with dormant companies who are trying to get rid of them. Like the phrase goes, a dog is for life not just for Christmas. Similarly you can't just create a company and dump it or forget it.

Revenue may also wish to investigate how come your company has no turnover and if its set up is legitimate or if its just a front.

Does anyone know of an easier way that it could be disbanded?

Does anyone know of an easier way that it could be disbanded?

Curiosity - what general reason do you need the company for? There may be other options.

Curiosity - what general reason do you need the company for? There may be other options.

I need to be able to prove that I have a company with an Address and Registration number, is there an easier way, is an Ltd definitely the easiest to set-up?

I need to be able to prove that I have a company with an Address and Registration number, is there an easier way, is an Ltd definitely the easiest to set-up?

It could be cheaper, quicker and easier to set up a ltd company in the UK. It can be done overnight there.

There are only two types of companies in Ireland - The various ltds, or a plc, and a ltd is far easier.

Do you not have to be resident in the UK, is it easy to do, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Are you sure you actually need a company?

Are you sure that it isn't merely a registered business name you need?? If you actually explained what / who you need it for, you'd get better advice.

For example, I'm thinking you might be trying to open a business bank account, in which case you may need proof of a registered business name, and / or proof of tax registration.

Do you not have to be resident in the UK, is it easy to do, does anyone know?

As I said and as Barney says are you sure you need a COMPANY.

No, residency is not required to start a UK ltd company and while the same caveats apply with regard to annual returns etc, its cheaper to get a company formed in the UK and it may be cheap enough to outsource the annual returns etc to a companies agent over there. You do need a UK address to register the company too, but these are quite cheaply available to rent.

This is by no means ideal but if your not actually doing research other than asking questions on here then its probably the easiest and cheapest option that will keep you legitimate. It would be better to consult a reputable formations agent or solicitor, and at least do a little bit of googling yourself.

Quite frankly that proves my point.

Not trading just means you have less accountants fees and no audit is automatically required.

Your still obligated to have an AGM and comply with other CRO rules such as submitting an annual return and accounts. Failure to do so will mean you may be audited and or fined, and any directors may be personally liable to prosecution and or fines.

There has been a few threads here very recently by people with dormant companies who are trying to get rid of them. Like the phrase goes, a dog is for life not just for Christmas. Similarly you can't just create a company and dump it or forget it.

Revenue may also wish to investigate how come your company has no turnover and if its set up is legitimate or if its just a front.

If you were to try and disband the company not long after setting it up, is it expensive and complicated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

If you were to try and disband the company not long after setting it up, is it expensive and complicated?

OK I think it's time to call shenanigans on this OP!

You're starting to give the distinct impression that you're trying to pull some sort of a stroke - you want to represent to someone that you have a Ltd Co., even though you have no intention of actually using / trading through it... disturbing to say the least; in fact a certain F word springs to mind.

Yes.

Like the last poster Im moderately suspicious.
    If your genuinely doing it for some innocent reason, then dont bother, as I cant see any reason that would be worth the hassle.

If your doing it for some "stroke" as the last poster said then dont bother either, its not worth it. But if you do then I would suspect that you will suffer some consequences afterwards. Revenue / CRO / Banks are not totally heedless, and its very easy for them to catch a small company out. Prior directorships can easily be found, and can haunt you - even if it was perfectly innocent.

Also if your on state benefits or likely to need them, it will be difficult for some time after your directorship ceases. It seems to set off alarm bells when they examine your past as it suggests personal means.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

Whenever someone wants to set up a company and immediately shut it down again it usually a residency scam to show that you intend to run a business in Ireland and gain residency status for someone when in fact you have no intention of doing so.

So I am going to lock this thread.

dbran

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement