Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting new exterior plaster/render??

• 27-03-2012 7:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Can I ask what is the best way to paint a newly plastered/rendered exterior wall?

Does the new render need with any type of solution to prime or seal it,or can the Dulux Weathershield just be painted staright on??

Also,how many coats of Dulux Weathershield should the external wall and render be given?

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Two coats will usually do the trick. Let the first coat out a little, about 15% water. No need to seal it unless they are window sills on the job. Apart from that, new exteriors are lovely to work on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Two coats will usually do the trick. Let the first coat out a little, about 15% water. No need to seal it unless they are window sills on the job. Apart from that, new exteriors are lovely to work on.

So dilute the 1st coat by 15%.

Then once thats dried in,slap on a full/undiluted 2nd coat.

Cool,thanks.:)

No need to seal it unless they are window sills on the job.

What do you do for a new window sill?

Do you need to seal them in some way??

Thanks.
    :)

Yeah they usually need a stabilizer . Your first coat on the new plaster will be dry in minutes.

Yeah they usually need a stabilizer . Your first coat on the new plaster will be dry in minutes.

Might have a go at painting the window cills on my garage then.

Thanks for the help and advice.:)

• Advertisement

Thanks to you guys here for all the helpfull advice,its all going to plan so far.Girlfriend did the garage with diluted Dulux Weathershield as a 1st/primer coat.

I did the window sills with stabilizer solution.

Oh and forget a masonary brush,this wallpaper pasting brush is the mutts nutts indeed.:D

Far easier to use and far better for getting into the small holes and mortar joints in the blockwork of the walls.Also used a 9 inch long pile masonary roller too,for the smooth external render.

Good man Paddy, glad it's going well for you.

Good man Paddy, glad it's going well for you.

Well I have boards.ie to thank for it........oh and a very determined girlfriend too.:D

If only she could control the weather too.

Yeah tell me about it. I'm doing an exterior of a pub in Swords at the mo, like doing the hokey pokey.

Yeah tell me about it. I'm doing an exterior of a pub in Swords at the mo, like doing the hokey pokey.

Id say thats fun and games indeed with this weather.

• Advertisement
Advertisement