Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nationwide - Waterford Airport

Options
  • 27-03-2012 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

I think Nationwide showed Waterford Airport in a very positive light and the views of the county and city were lovely.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1142185

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

deisemum wrote: »
    I think Nationwide showed Waterford Airport in a very positive light and the views of the county and city were lovely.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1142185
    with new routes opening up it may bring good things for waterford fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Its great to see it but if they could just do somethnig about the cost of parking out there they seem to be shooting themselfs in the foot, they should forget what others are charging and ust do whats best for the airport to grow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

If parking was FREE, I guarantee every flight would be a full capacity and the runway would be extended within 18 months. Free parking effectively extends the catchment area by a factor of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

yes free parking would be a big plus. I still find flight costs not good value for money. I don't mind spending a bus journey to Dublin if I'm saving money and it's still around €40 return cheaper for me to go via Dublin. That's not the case for most but it is for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

old gregg wrote: »
    yes free parking would be a big plus. I still find flight costs not good value for money. I don't mind spending a bus journey to Dublin if I'm saving money and it's still around €40 return cheaper for me to go via Dublin. That's not the case for most but it is for me.

Indeed, just over 1 week ago I was booking flights to London and while Southend is a bit of an agony trip due to the early morning required to get back I still investigate the costs in case it's cheap enough to justify the early morning (once I got €110 return with Aer Arann in February).

Anyway, departing 31st Mar, returning 4th Apr was coming up as €320. That's excluding the checked bag fee (2 x €15 which is required due to the mini overhead lockers on an ATR) and the booking fee (€12 I think), so total cost would be just over €360 and €40 euro parking and €20 fuel for driving from my home to and from Waterford airport = €420.

Departing from Dublin (with Aer Lingus), to Heathrow (so cheap and fast access to the city via Tube) on the same dates at ideal times (late morning and afternoon), was €140. No need to pay for a checked bag as my case will fit in the overhead bins. Booking fee €12. Parking €35. Fuel cost about €40. Total about €230.

I do this route monthly, sometimes more often and if Aer Arann/EI Regional were competitive I'd love to use them more often as it's an hour less driving to Waterford. Every time I've been to Southend there's never been more than 15 or 20 people on the flight and I'm not surprised with the way its priced to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

bkehoe wrote: »
    Indeed, just over 1 week ago I was booking flights to London and while Southend is a bit of an agony trip due to the early morning required to get back I still investigate the costs in case it's cheap enough to justify the early morning (once I got €110 return with Aer Arann in February).

Anyway, departing 31st Mar, returning 4th Apr was coming up as €320. That's excluding the checked bag fee (2 x €15 which is required due to the mini overhead lockers on an ATR) and the booking fee (€12 I think), so total cost would be just over €360 and €40 euro parking and €20 fuel for driving from my home to and from Waterford airport = €420.

Departing from Dublin (with Aer Lingus), to Heathrow (so cheap and fast access to the city via Tube) on the same dates at ideal times (late morning and afternoon), was €140. No need to pay for a checked bag as my case will fit in the overhead bins. Booking fee €12. Parking €35. Fuel cost about €40. Total about €230.

I do this route monthly, sometimes more often and if Aer Arann/EI Regional were competitive I'd love to use them more often as it's an hour less driving to Waterford. Every time I've been to Southend there's never been more than 15 or 20 people on the flight and I'm not surprised with the way its priced to be honest.

Jeese that's crazy expensive. For a trip to (not even!!) London not a chance I'd pay that unless absolutely desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Paid 123 euro for return flight to Southend in May including one bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

im very happy with my most recent trip from Waterford airport, went over to Manchester to buy a car at the last minute, booked flights for a sunday on a Thursday... got them for 68€ :eek: at such short notice!! left my house in kilmeaden at 10.45 and was in at Manchester central at 1.30, and then onto the midlands to buy my car... if I had to go via dublin or cork I would have the inconvenience of having to leave my house at 7am and the flights where 45€ more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

merlante wrote: »
    Paid 123 euro for return flight to Southend in May including one bag.

What was Southend like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    What was Southend like?

Well, I haven't taken that *May* flight yet. ;) But... I have flown there before. It's grand, you're out of the airport very quickly and the train station is nearby, which is what you want. Not sure I've actually flown out of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement