Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple warranty question

• 27-03-2012 8:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

Mods please move if I have this in the wrong place I just rarely post on this forum.

I got my girlfriend an iPod touch in oct 2010, it stopped working in early October 2011 so we returned it to be fixed as it was still under warranty. They gave her a replacement and all was good but now the replacement stopped working completely today.

My question is does it go under a new one year warranty for the replacement iPod or does she have no warranty left. Just wondering has anyone been in this situation before. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Contact Apple they'll sort it. Warranty's are added bonuses and do not affect your statutory rights. Under consumer law you have a right to expect something to last a period of time. If the device breaking was not your fault then a replacement item that lasted 5 months is not a reasonable time period. Contact Apple and if you've any problems (which I doubt you will) then post back.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Iang87 wrote: »
    Mods please move if I have this in the wrong place I just rarely post on this forum.

I got my girlfriend an iPod touch in oct 2010, it stopped working in early October 2011 so we returned it to be fixed as it was still under warranty. They gave her a replacement and all was good but now the replacement stopped working completely today.

My question is does it go under a new one year warranty for the replacement iPod or does she have no warranty left. Just wondering has anyone been in this situation before. Thanks

There isn't a new warranty on the replacement, just the remaining from the original.
    Do as cookie says, even though I don't see Apple giving in Too easy.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I thought all electronic devices bought in EU had a 2 year warranty? Give apple a call, no harm in it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

TBi wrote: »
    I thought all electronic devices bought in EU had a 2 year warranty? Give apple a call, no harm in it.

No, never implemented in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

whiterebel wrote: »
    No, never implemented in Ireland.
    It is implemented in Ireland, just not the specifics of the two year part simply because other consumer protection legislation was deemed to surpass that timeframe. It should last a reasonable amount of time in Ireland, which would likely be 3-4 years minimum for a portable electronic device operation under normal conditions I would imagine (although it would ultimately be for a court to decide).

• Advertisement

It's EU law, i'd be surprised if it wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

It's EU law, i'd be surprised if it wasn't.

We've discussed this a lot. Our laws exceed eu laws as we state the product should last a reasonable amount of time without faults. So in theory you'd expect a tv to last 3 years which would exceed eu 2yr guidelines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Thanks a lot I'll get onto apple and see what hope we have of getting anything, slim i think but still

Johnmb wrote: »
    It is implemented in Ireland, just not the specifics of the two year part simply because other consumer protection legislation was deemed to surpass that timeframe. It should last a reasonable amount of time in Ireland, which would likely be 3-4 years minimum for a portable electronic device operation under normal conditions I would imagine (although it would ultimately be for a court to decide).

So, basically as I said the 2 year warranty was never implemented in Ireland.

So, basically as I said the 2 year warranty was never implemented in Ireland.

That may be true but it would have been more helpful if you added that Ireland already had a different law which offered something similar, rather than implying that we only get 1 year warranty.

• Advertisement

That may be true but it would have been more helpful if you added that Ireland already had a different law which offered something similar, rather than implying that we only get 1 year warranty.

I didn't imply that there was only a one year warranty at all. I just corrected your assertion that we had a 2 year warranty here.

I didn't imply that there was only a one year warranty at all. I just corrected your assertion that we had a 2 year warranty here.

Well we can agree to disagree, at least the OP knows that under current Irish law he may have a case to get a warranty replacement/fix.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

BTW it's important to distinguish between a warranty and a guarantee. They are often used interchangeably, but a warranty implies a manufacturer's warranty. EU/Irish consumer law relates to the seller of the product, not the manufacturer. So there's no obligation on Apple as the manufacturer to offer a 2 year warranty. But Apple as the seller must guarantee the product for faults etc for 2 years or whatever Irish law dictates.

This might pedantic, but I personally suspect that ringing up Apple (when they are the seller) and mentioning the word warranty will destroy your chances of getting anywhere with them. The second they hear "warranty" they'll put their manufacturer's hat on and respond with "sorry, Apple only offer a 1 year warranty, yours is up, tough" and technically they'll be correct.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

As a result of the Italian lawsuit, Apple have posted a rather helpful support document explaining the difference between the various warranty/coverage options available to EU users. I would recommend reading the whole document, plus the footnotes.
    apple_warranty_coverage_chart_eu.jpg
    Source: Apple (via MacRumours)

The key bit under the consumer law column is that the defect must be present when the customer takes delivery. Technically this is correct, but I wouldn't read too much into it. Unless it's something visible that could have seen when you purchased it, there's no way you could be expected to prove that one of the internal components were faulty when you got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Iang87 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot I'll get onto apple and see what hope we have of getting anything, slim i think but still

How did you get on with Apple? I have a similar issue and was wondering....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

The key bit under the consumer law column is that the defect must be present when the customer takes delivery. Technically this is correct, but I wouldn't read too much into it. Unless it's something visible that could have seen when you purchased it, there's no way you could be expected to prove that one of the internal components were faulty when you got it.

I guess this means I don't have much of a hope of getting the burnt pixel cluster fixed on my iPad 1:( Ah well.

Advertisement