Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Motorsport Ban

Options
  • 27-03-2012 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi,

I wish to appeal the permanent Motorsport ban I received on the 24th of this month.

First let me give some back story. Setanta's qualifying coverage on Saturday of said date didn't transmit. So in two different threads, one on Setanta's coverage and the other being the race thread I posted along the lines of the following; hxxp.firstrowsports.eu/qualifying

It was not a hyperlink, indeed it was black letters with no link at all to any website. Is this technically breaking the rules of boards.ie?

The reason I posted in such a manner was due to a post I had seen in the soccer forum here.

I saw that it was posted my poster named Mike65, a poster with 70,000 odd posts and one I assume is a very reputable poster in this community. It was not infracted, he did not receive warning and he was not banned.

Thus I assumed that if I were to post, in the exact same manner as he, it would be ok. I however was wrong. And I have as a result been banned permanently from the Motorsport forum.

I understand vaguely that some sort of a new law came into place in the last while which prohibits the hyperlinking of streams. I did not hyperlink a stream. I have seen people dodge this new law, in the soccer forum in particular where they will do something like what I did or else post something nonsensical with the name of a website being displayed in capital letter. Surely they must also be banned if my offence is deemed worthy of a permanent ban.

The moderator by PM also told me that the reason I was banned was for ignoring moderator instruction. I cannot see any moderator instruction regarding the new law on the Motorsport forum. Perhaps there is but I have yet to see it.

He also said the following; "This has been mentioned in several threads and in the forum charter that this is against the rules and will result in a permanent banning from the motorsport forum. (Ficus, 2012)."

Again could I see the threads where it has been said, and while I'm at it, the forum rules section was updated on the 25th of March at 02:38 to include the following, "6) No linking to streams etc. There is no mention whatsoever that linking to streams is a bannable offence. In fact this was added to the charter, ONE DAY AFTER I committed my crime. So I'm being punished retrospectively by a new initiative that wasn't even there when I posted what I did.

This is outrageous guys. An absolute outrage. I feel completely let down and frankly I'm angry to be honest. I wish to appeal the ban, and if the permanency of the ban could be reduced in some way, shape or form I would be greatly obliged.

Edit; Just stumbled upon this and this

I mean come on lads. Surely they either must be banned permanently from that forum or else my ban should be rescinded immediately. This is shocking and absurd that I'm banned for something that others are getting away without a care in the world. Be fair guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I'm having a look at this...ill report back later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Morricone

Thanks, The Drifter, take as long as you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Hi Morricone

I've had a chance to review this with Ficus and we have agreed to reduce your ban to one month.

It would appear that it was not 100% clear regarding the rules on posting streaming link however generally and especially since SOPA they frowned upon hence why a one month ban will remain in place.

I have asked that an "updated on " date be added to the forum rules thread also so that this is brought to everyone's attention.

Ficus will reduce your ban shortly.

If this answer doesn't suffice feel free to PM me on the matter.

Thanks

D

Hi Morricone

I've had a chance to review this with Ficus and we have agreed to reduce your ban to one month.

It would appear that it was not 100% clear regarding the rules on posting streaming link however generally and especially since SOPA they frowned upon hence why a one month ban will remain in place.

I have asked that an "updated on " date be added to the forum rules thread also so that this is brought to everyone's attention.

Ficus will reduce your ban shortly.

If this answer doesn't suffice feel free to PM me on the matter.

Thanks

D

No that's fine. Thanks for your time.

The more I've looked at this the more I think that its very unfair and very much setting a wild precedent for boards.ie.

I didn't want to kick up a fuss at the time because the moderator in question was going through some busy personal stuff so didn't want to cause hassle.

Can I get an admin to look at this and confirm that any breaches of the Irish SOPA will result in a one month in Motorsport, if not Boards.ie as a whole.?

• Advertisement
Advertisement