Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Littlewoods and DOB

Options
  • 27-03-2012 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭

Missus ordered from Littlewoods on Sunday. Called today to see if we could get the delivery changd from Fri to Sat.
    Girl on other end asked her DOB and it turns out the missus entered it wrong. Putting it in as the American style MM/DD/YY instead of DD/MM/YY.
    Littlewoods put hold on item as DOB was incorrect. Missus tried to explain that it was merely a typo however, due to Littlewoods "strict" code of practice they could not deliver when details were incorrect.
    When missus pointed out to them that they wouldn't have known the DOB was wrong if she didn't ring, Littlewoods said due to our strict code of practise you need to prove your date of birth by sending us in photocopies of your identity.
    Missus replied are you for real? Cancel that order!
    Anyone come across this before. In all my years buying online I haven't had to use my DOB on a confirmation call before. What difference does it make?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If there was a credit facility involved (which is lilkely with Littlewoods), then they would be correct to ask for proof of DOB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

I understand how your wife feels, Johnnio, because I was in the same situation as her. I rang up inquiring about an order, and forgot that I had put the date of birth in as my mother's date of birth because when I had set up my Littlewoods account, I was not 18 and so set one up for my mother instead. I had full control of the account, however.

I was speaking to a young man, and as soon as I said my date of birth instead of my mother's, he more or less treated me like a criminal, adopting a really accusatory tone-I felt like a criminal! I even said my mother's date of birth, but he said 'Because you've given me incorrect details, I am forwarding you to our security centre'.

The matter was eventually cleared up when my mother went on the phone, but their treatment of me was enough to dissuade me from shopping with Littlewoods again.

The attitudes of a lot of their agents is below par.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

To be honest I'd much rather a company did have a strict policy then not,

In relation to your situation Medicine333, well you did lie when you placed the order by falsify the DOB so really they are right to have the order/account reviewed.

Fraud is issue with any type of online orders and phone orders so its important that companys ensure policys are being followed fully.

Cabaal wrote: »

In relation to your situation Medicine333, well you did lie when you placed the order by falsify the DOB so really they are right to have the order/account reviewed.

Fraud is issue with any type of online orders and phone orders so its important that companys ensure policys are being followed fully.

I never lied. My mother allowed me to establish an account for her, permitting me to purchase whatever I needed with her credit card.

I don't appreciate people accusing me of lying, Cabaal, therefore I take offence at your suggestion.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I never lied. My mother allowed me to establish an account for her, permitting me to purchase whatever I needed with her credit card.

I don't appreciate people accusing me of lying, Cabaal, therefore I take offence at your suggestion.

You yourself said you were under 18 years of age at the time by your own admission, as such you falsely claimed you were over 18 years of age in order to place the order.

You may not like the word "lied" but yes you did lie about your age to Littlewoods, it doesn't matter if your mother gave you permission you still didn't tell Littlewoods the truth.

As it wasn't the truth it was a lie, ok perhaps in your view a white lie or meaningless but none the less a lie.

As it wasn't accurate information this is why the agent acted the way they did, they were just doing their job.

• Advertisement

You yourself said you were under 18 years of age at the time by your own admission, as such you falsely claimed you were over 18 years of age in order to place the order.

You may not like the word "lied" but yes you did lie about your age to Littlewoods, it doesn't matter if your mother gave you permission you still didn't tell Littlewoods the truth.

As it wasn't the truth it was a lie, ok perhaps in your view a white lie or meaningless but none the less a lie.

As it wasn't accurate information this is why the agent acted the way they did, they were just doing their job.

How was it a lie? The account is in my mother's name, she allowed me to set it up because she doesn't know how to work the computer, the DOB is indeed her DOB, and I always received prior permission from her if I ever made a purchase on the credit card.

I find it quite astounding how there are people out there who have this much time on their hands to pick out little details from posts, misinterpret information and adopt an accusatory tone in their posts.

In conclusion, the account is in my mother's name, the DOB is my mother's and I simply worked the computer for her.

Sorry Johnnio that this thread has been dragged off-topic by a rather trivial, comical, if you like, issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Security is there for a reason. I would much perfer to have a little hassle with security than try to chase them up for a purchase I didn't make or have someone re-direct a purchase who knew some of my details.
    when I had set up my Littlewoods account,

You say it was your account but not your details.
    I always received prior permission from her if I ever made a purchase on the credit card.

You say you purchased things on this account with someone elses details.

this thread has been dragged off-topic by a rather trivial, comical, if you like, issue.

Think you are the one dragging it off topic and making a big deal out of a reasonable post.

gramlab wrote: »
    Security is there for a reason. I would much perfer to have a little hassle with security than try to chase them up for a purchase I didn't make or have someone re-direct a purchase who knew some of my details.

You say it was your account but not your details.

My, as in the account both my mother and I use. Stop picking out words and turning them against me please.

You say you purchased things on this account with someone elses details.

My mother allowed my access to her account, knowing what I was buying and gave me full permission. As I am now an adult, I rang Littlewoods and they said there was no issue, and the account is now in my name as my mother prefers to shop elsewhere.
    Think you are the one dragging it off topic and making a big deal out of a reasonable post.

I won't even bother with that comment.

I never lied. I am 100% sure of that. Unfortunately, this thread has de-railed due to accusations of lying and other accusations thrown my way. My sole intention was to help Johnnio.

Some people really need to calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Its all a moot point now as the table was delivered this morning. Delivery guy knew nothing of the cancelation or the hold on the product, he just wanted it off his van.
    So much for the strict policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    Its all a moot point now as the table was delivered this morning. Delivery guy knew nothing of the cancelation or the hold on the product, he just wanted it off his van.
    So much for the strict policy.

and if she has paid for it on credit, clear the balance as soon as possible - Littlewoods charge 39.9% interest -

as for the comments on Medicine333 -ffs, this is boards, not a court of law. It was a "family" account he/she was talking about. No lies, no deception. Or maybe the naysayers here would tell their mothers to eff off if she asked for assistance in booking a flight online or to buy something online.

Amazing how some peolple including some moderators have to attack a poster without having any understanding of the situation - utterly disgusting and one of the worst traits of boards.

• Advertisement

@sandin if you have a problem with a post, then please use the Reported Post functionality, Don't drag out the topic by commenting on the thread.

dudara

Posters - if you have a problem, please use the Report Post functionality. Off-topic posting clutters the thread.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

I'm amazed people buy from this Littlewoods they are far more expensive than most other retailers ive come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Sandin, wasn't bought on credit. There is the offer of a €400 credit advance which you have to get by before you can purchase though on the site which I think is a bit deceptive.
    I for one won't be using the site again, and either will the missus!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mary_Flynn

I can't log in to my littlewoods account to confirm my statement because I put the wrong date of birth in by an accident and can't log in to my account

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Mary_Flynn wrote: »
    I can't log in to my littlewoods account to confirm my statement because I put the wrong date of birth in by an accident and can't log in to my account
    Contact them directly. They may require additional proof of identity.

Advertisement