Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on senior activities

Options
  • 27-03-2012 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

I have a relative that moved to Greystones a couple of years ago and does not know anyone here of the same age group. He is not in particularly good health and is only on a pension. He has become rather insulated in the last few months and I would like to see what is out there for him to get involved with that does not cost too much money and most importantly would be fun.

I imagine there are things like bowling but I have no idea of the cost.

He is 71 and quite shy.

Thanks in advance.

CC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

http://www.greystoneslawnbowling.org/
    The Lawn Bowling Club which is situated in Burnaby Park is an excellent place to meet socially with both male and female members. Sunday afternoons are for social bowling. Saturday afternoons and Monday evenings are for league matches and there is a midweek afternoon for veteran league matches.
    Then there is Greystones Active Retirement association
    http://www.greystonesara.com/
    Also there is a community garden beside Shoreline.
    There are Bridge Clubs that meet down beside the Firestation if he likes cards.
    Greystones Bridge Centre
    Bridge Clubs and Classes
    Phone: 012873633
    Address: Victoria Rd, GREYSTONES, WICKLOW

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Are the Toastmasters club still going ? Think they used to meet up in the Glenview so perhaps that's not an option for him.

Seems to be an Active Retirement Group too http://www.greystonesara.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Toastmasters does meet in the glenview so probably not an option

I am fairly sure that the Greystones people's project has facilities or groups for older people

www.wicklowcommunitydirectory.ie/pub_org_specific.php?choice=676

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

There are plenty of churches to choose from, all with active social scenes

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Thanks so much I will pass all those on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

Does he play Bridge? There are many bridge clubs in area and if he doen't kno how to play, there are bridge classes available too.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Bridge wouldn't be his thing.

I like the sound of the bowling. It's just getting him down there. Anyone any idea of cost? I looked but couldn't find it. You don't have to wear the whites or such like do you?

I really appreciate the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Bridge wouldn't be his thing.

I like the sound of the bowling. It's just getting him down there. Anyone any idea of cost? I looked but couldn't find it. You don't have to wear the whites or such like do you?

I really appreciate the help!

I think it is 100 euro per annum for first time members. You do not need to wear whites for social bowling. Whites are worn for league matches.
    What he will need is a pair of bowling shoes and a set of bowls.
    "Our current membership fees are €250 per year or €50 for those lucky enough to be still under 25 and in full time education.

However for those who are new to bowling we now have a special introductory offer of €100 in your first year. Those of you who are young enough to qualify for student membership will of course be only charged the €50 . "
    http://www.greystoneslawnbowling.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cathy69

You can contact Greystones Family Resource Centre at 01 2557528. They will be able to link your dad in with the monthly lunch that is held in Dr. Ryan's Community Centre in Kenmare Heights. Up to 40 older people regularly meet up for this and following its success, a weekly get together and a game of bingo (at the request of those attend) now take place. They dont have a website up and running as yet, but hope to have one soon.

Advertisement