Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda confiscating drugs and money on street Prime Time

• 27-03-2012 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Anybody see the Prime Time programme tonight where a plain clothes Garda "confiscated" drugs and money from a drug dealer and then apparently just walked off.Is that legal! I thought he would be required to arrest the guy for commiting a crime.What record is there of where the money and drugs went ?.Was this corruption or is it legal,which I find doubtful!.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

Which one should he arrest, the seller or the buyer/reporter. Should he bring them straight to the court room. Maybe the Judge might have some laboratory equipment with him on the bench to test the tablets/substance.

I think you should go straight to the ombudsman. I hope you sky plused the shady deal. That should be enough to nail these corrupt police.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

J K wrote: »
    Which one should he arrest, the seller or the buyer/reporter. Should he bring them straight to the court room. Maybe the Judge might have some laboratory equipment with him on the bench to test the tablets/substance.

I think you should go straight to the ombudsman. I hope you sky plused the shady deal. That should be enough to nail these corrupt police.
    Did he need to get the money tested as well!!

archer22 wrote: »
    Did he need to get the money tested as well!!

It's evidence. He's obliged to take it.

!!!

!!!
    Is he not obliged to arrest the guy on suspicion of drug dealing..Walking up to somebody on the street and taking money out of their hand then walking away looks suspicious to say the least and one way or the other creates the opportunity for corruption.I have never seen this anywhere else.I would have thought someone suspected of drug dealing would be arrested and be given a receipt for any money or other property seized from him..pending charges and court decision etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

it never ceases to amaze me how some people think everyong can be arrested for any crime.

• Advertisement

Is he not obliged to arrest the guy on suspicion of drug dealing.
    If and when a prosecution is directed after the tablets are certified as a controlled substance, the dealer can be charged or summonsed. He is not obliged to arrest the guy there and then, the only point of that would be to identify him before releasing him. All these dealers would be well known to the guy.
    Walking up to somebody on the street and taking money out of their hand then walking away looks suspicious
    It doesn't look suspicious to me. It is probably more a reflection on your mind and character that you assume that people will become thieves just when an opportunity arises in life, irrespective of their morals or ethics.
    I have never seen this anywhere else.
    You've checked the procedures of all police forces in the world for this type of situation, have you? Can you give an example.
    I would have thought someone suspected of drug dealing would be arrested and be given a receipt for any money or other property seized from him..pending charges and court decision etc.
    No he doesn't need to be given a receipt.
    Does contraband and evidence etc need to be recorded and tracked at a Garda Station and securely locked away. Yes it does.
    Come back when you have some proof that it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭JD Dublin

You seem to know your way around these type of topics.

Someone comes on here looking for some advice or views, and you consistently post smart replies which are not constructive or helpful. I'm sure you think they are the height of humour, but they aren't.

Why don't you butt out if you've nothing but a few moany comments to make?

If and when a prosecution is directed after the tablets are certified as a controlled substance, the dealer can be charged or summonsed. He is not obliged to arrest the guy there and then, the only point of that would be to identify him before releasing him. All these dealers would be well known to the guy.

It doesn't look suspicious to me. It is probably more a reflection on your mind and character that you assume that people will become thieves just when an opportunity arises in life, irrespective of their morals or ethics.

You've checked the procedures of all police forces in the world for this type of situation, have you? Can you give an example.

No he doesn't need to be given a receipt.
    Does contraband and evidence etc need to be recorded and tracked at a Garda Station and securely locked away. Yes it does.
    Come back when you have some proof that it is not.
    You are an arrogant little man,thats obvious.The Morris tribunal stated "there is a culture of dishonesty in the Garda Siochana".No Tribunal ever stated that about me.You dont even know me so dont go shouting your big mouth off.I asked a logical question was what was on that programme legal.If any one of the Guardians wanted to pocket the money its obvious they could and yes I do know about police forces as some of my inlaws are police.And it is obvious to me that Police and Guardians are not the same thing.And no taking money from a criminal would certainly not be allowed for the same reasons that a traffic warden is not allowed to take money from motorists on the street..go figure!!.And yes I do know of things going missing in Guardian stations.As for finding where they go is impossible as the Guardians are a closed secret society unlike Police forces in democracies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭berrypendel

Which one should he arrest, the seller or the buyer/reporter.
    is the reporter above the law? is he not engaging in a criminal act?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

You are an arrogant little man,thats obvious.The Morris tribunal stated "there is a culture of dishonesty in the Garda Siochana".No Tribunal ever stated that about me.You dont even know me so dont go shouting your big mouth off.I asked a logical question was what was on that programme legal.If any one of the Guardians wanted to pocket the money its obvious they could and yes I do know about police forces as some of my inlaws are police.And it is obvious to me that Police and Guardians are not the same thing.And no taking money from a criminal would certainly not be allowed for the same reasons that a traffic warden is not allowed to take money from motorists on the street..go figure!!.And yes I do know of things going missing in Guardian stations.As for finding where they go is impossible as the Guardians are a closed secret society unlike Police forces in democracies.

Do you believe everything you see in an heavily edited 60 second news piece?

edit: just seen the footage, its actually 5 seconds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

I'm not certain of the situation regarding prescription medication. It's likely an offence to sell it but I don't know the provisions surrounding this. I do wonder if it is a criminal offence to buy without a prescription?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭mercenary2

!!!

have you smoked it yet and what you buy with the money :)

Didnt some reporter land herself in trouble for making a fake prescription pad, and seeing how easy it was to buy stuff with it?
    she got off and her pals want it to be ok for reporters to fake prescriptions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

You already knew the answer you wanted when you posted the op and nothing that was said would have changed that. You came on here to stir it. The way your op is worded makes that abundantly clear.

But to answer your questions, no, unless a warrant is in exisence a person does not have to be arrested unless they are to be charged, detained for questioning or search or are a danger to themselves or others. No, the Garda does not have to give a receipt for something they seize although a receipt can be sought and will generally be provided by the station. The record is the Gardas notebook which is considered to be evidence and is treated as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I didn't see the program, but could it simply have been a dramatisation?

I didn't see the program, but could it simply have been a dramatisation?
    no ithink they said it was real the people's face were blanked out

I’m not being smart with anyone but the original post is calling someone
    a thief.
    This to me is a fairly aggressive and hostile attack based on what motivation I don’t know -so sorry if I didn’t walk on egg shells and hurt someones feelings.

There’s five seconds of footage. The narration tells you what is supposed to be going on because the rest isn’t clear. The whole thing could be fictional. You don’t what happened before or after the five second clip.

If it is real then the facts are simple. Legally there is no requirement to arrest or to issue a receipt. I’m sorry that those facts disappoint you so much OP that you have to respond with a personal attack on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭theAwakening

is everyone in the medical profession as bogus as harold shipman?

if the O.P. watched a clip of a scientist performing an chemical experiment, would he/she make so many uneducated assertions on what he/she sees and post them online?

Advertisement