Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this scare you?

• 27-03-2012 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭

Newfoundland+dogs.jpg

What with all this talk of dangerous and scary dogs I'm curious if this dog, running at you, or greeting you at the door would scare you?

Would this dog scare you? 93 votes

Yes, I'm afraid of all big black dogs
    0% 0 votes
    No, CUDDLES!!!!
    6% 6 votes
    Yes, he might drool on me
    86% 80 votes
    AAAARGH.......a bear!!!!
    7% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Yes and no, I have a Bernese and he is a big teddy bear like the Newfoundland but come into the garden/house uninvited and beware, he is a different dog.

I believe the Newfoundlands are similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Little Miss Lady

If I didn't know him and there was no owner about of course I'd be wary..
    Wouldn't get over dramatic now just cautious
    You have to be with ANY dog you don't know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

No way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I'm wary of all strange dogs regardless if they are large or small. But I wouldn't be afraid, however I wouldn't want to give that dog the wrong idea :D Great looking dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Reminds me of Cujo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

What a cutey! A friend of mine had three newfs and they were big old softies. However, the drooling is something else. Have a wetsuit to hand!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I wanted to tick 2 "No way..cuddles" and "yes he might drool"! Only because i know they droooooool and well,it gives flippin everywhere. :D

As for "scaring me", as a breed...no, but i can judge pretty well any dog from small to big so because he's big wouldnt even faze me in the slightest if he's giving off the correct body language. From that photo he looks like a BFG :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

How about theese two. Scary !!!!!!!

• vicious_chihuahua.jpg.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

RUN its a bearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.............................. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

axle108 wrote: »
    How about theese two. Scary !!!!!!!

• vicious_chihuahua.jpg.jpeg

Small dog syndrome...

Newfoundlands are awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

wexie wrote: »
    What with all this talk of dangerous and scary dogs I'm curious if this dog, running at you, or greeting you at the door would scare you?
    Although I voted the "cuddles" option, if I saw this prancing down the road at 2am, I'd be wary of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It's impossible to answer because the body language is not clear. For example if his hackles were up I would be wary. I know a St Bernard who will run up to you ............& bite if you put a hand into his garden.

We keep spending time trying to convince people that breed is irrelevant when it comes to aggression. Just as a Pit Bull or Rottie may be a softy a Newfie or Lab might be aggressive depending on how it has been reared.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Was walking my pup by the river a few weeks ago and a Newfoundland came charging towards us, at first I was a bit anxious but he was a complete gentle giant :o Such friendly dogs! All I was afraid of was the drool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I think what would scare me most about that dog is the thought of the state of the house during shedding season! Heh.

Seriously though, I wouldn't be afraid of him. But if we hadn't met before, I'd be cautious and respectful like I would with any dog until they got used to me. Then you'd have to drag me away from that beauty!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭too little too late

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Even if that dog was trying to eat me, I'd still be trying to cuddle it.

My bf's parents had a Newfoundland, she used to sing <3<3

Smitten, I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

All I can think is Big Friendly Giant! He's gorgeous:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭too little too late

200738.jpg

200739.jpg

Advertisement