Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

possible head gasket failure BMW 316i

• 27-03-2012 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭

hi guys i was doing my weekly check on tyres,water,oil etc and when i checked my oil level on the dip stick i noticed the level was normal but a tiny bit milky, not major but all the same it was there. there was no sign of it under the oil cap, that is clean , so would i be right in thinking what i don`t want to be?? there`s no drop in coolant levels as in i don`t have to top it up often and i can say the same for the oil. am i just panicking?
    any advice would be great thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ants09

johnner09 wrote: »
    hi guys i was doing my weekly check on tyres,water,oil etc and when i checked my oil level on the dip stick i noticed the level was normal but a tiny bit milky, not major but all the same it was there. there was no sign of it under the oil cap, that is clean , so would i be right in thinking what i don`t want to be?? there`s no drop in coolant levels as in i don`t have to top it up often and i can say the same for the oil. am i just panicking?

Is it a E46 of so its common on them and tbh wouldnt worry about it.

If you want ease of mind you can always get your head pressure tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Its good your checking your levels regularly and looking after your car. But don't try over-think things either. If your HG is failing and oil/water are mixing you'll have much bigger sympthoms.

Look after your cooling system and if there's any leaks no matter how small get them addressed and fixed. On that model there's an L shaped pipe at the back of the head that leaks, water drips onto the gear box and falls off 1/2 way down the car. The amount of garrages that will say its the HG, just cause they can't find a simple leak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭johnner09

ants09 wrote: »

Is it a E46 of so its common on them and tbh wouldnt worry about it.

If you want ease of mind you can always get your head pressure tested.
    Yeah its an E46 ok. That eases my mind a bit now , think I'll look into getting it tested. Thanks for that!!

Its good your checking your levels regularly and looking after your car. But don't try over-think things either. If your HG is failing and oil/water are mixing you'll have much bigger sympthoms.

Look after your cooling system and if there's any leaks no matter how small get them addressed and fixed. On that model there's an L shaped pipe at the back of the head that leaks, water drips onto the gear box and falls off 1/2 way down the car. The amount of garrages that will say its the HG, just cause they can't find a simple leak.
    Thanks for that DublinDilbert I tend to be over cautious every now again and I'll watch for that pipe also. Thanks again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Thanks for that DublinDilbert I tend to be over cautious every now again and I'll watch for that pipe also. Thanks again!!

When is it due a service next? You could get the cooling system pressure tested(should be done as part of a service anyway) and a sniff test done to properly check for cooling system/head gasket issues to be sure.

They are any engine that is prone to these issues so its very wise to stay on top of them before the repairs get expensive.

• Advertisement

hi nissan doctor, i read your tread on the timing belt failure it was really interesting, anyway i just had it serviced two weeks ago and my own mechanic asked me did i notice any white smoke coming out of it because he thought there was a little when he had it idling and he pulled it outside to park when he was finished which in turn has me watching it and as in the first post i noticed that bit of milky white on the dipstick. i know he has a pressure test kit cause i saw him use it on a transit he had in, i`ll give him a ring in the morning about it , again as in the first post i don`t have to top up the coolant often or even very rarely but i do check it often enough, cheers!!

just a quick update with that compression test out of interest but i had the car done yesterday and good to say it`s all good;). but.... on the other hand i was looking at a €1200 quote to fix it if it was gone :eek:...!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Head gasket kit costs about 70 euro.

1200 is a lot, 12 hours labour??

like i said, it was a quote!. he started off at €800 but he said he`d have it in over two days. Originaly my on mechanic(brother in law) was to test it but he was busy so i got it done local, rather sooner than later, but he would have been doing it so i would`nt have paid that. Although as you`ve said it`s still 12 hours labour give or take..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Turner wrote: »

And if someone just fits a 70 quid head gasket then you'll be back again in a couple of months to have the repair done properly.

• Advertisement

Turner wrote: »

And if someone just fits a 70 quid head gasket then you'll be back again in a couple of months to have the repair done .
    My thoughts too N.D . Id imagine it's not just a gasket seal!! There's a re- skim on the head and what ever hoses( if needed) replaced and what ever else is involved??.

Advertisement