Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with ping

Options
  • 27-03-2012 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

Hey. I've been playing Battlefield since it came out with mostly no problems. However, over the last 48 hours, I'm getting a ping of +200 constantly, rendering the game mostly unplayable. Has anybody similar problems and can suggest a solution? I play the same servers all the time (including Craggy Island, 1st Para, etc), but the problem seems to be on all servers, thus it's me, not the servers. Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Getting the same at my side...
    I'm down on Limerick and using Eircom :(

As a sidenote...is anyone using Samknows broadband? It's a EU wide study on broadband and they're using this crowd to monitor over the next 2 years.
    It's basically a box that plugs into your existing router and lies in the middle between it and your PC etc...
    I'm wondering if it's causing me any issues...it seems to have started happening in the past 2 weeks which was when I plugged in my box...much check the stats on the webpage to make sure it's only checking stats after 2am..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Blazer wrote: »
    Getting the same at my side...
    I'm down on Limerick and using Eircom :(

As a sidenote...is anyone using Samknows broadband? It's a EU wide study on broadband and they're using this crowd to monitor over the next 2 years.
    It's basically a box that plugs into your existing router and lies in the middle between it and your PC etc...
    I'm wondering if it's causing me any issues...it seems to have started happening in the past 2 weeks which was when I plugged in my box...much check the stats on the webpage to make sure it's only checking stats after 2am..
    Yeah, I'm stuck with Eircom too. Absolutely rubbish service. On speedtest.net, I am picking up my average speed and ping, but in-game It's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Do a tracert to one of the servers you are playing on and to see if you can pinpoint where it's going wrong .

jonski wrote: »
    Do a tracert to one of the servers you are playing on and to see if you can pinpoint where it's going wrong .
    Cool. Ehm.... How do I do that?!

Click "start" "run" and type "cmd" without the quotes in the box . Click "ok" . This opens a new window and in there type "tracert xxx.xxx.x.x " without the quotes replacing the x's with the ip address of one of the servers you play on .

Eg tracert 81.19.208.43

you will get back something like

C:\Users\Jon>tracert 81.19.208.43

Tracing route to server.killercreation.co.uk [81.19.208.43]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
    2 25 ms 25 ms 36 ms b-ras2.lmk.limerick.eircom.net [159.134.155.2]
    3 25 ms 25 ms 25 ms ge-4-2-2.pe1.lmk.lmk-mlw.eircom.net [86.43.247.1
    25]
    4 31 ms 30 ms 30 ms tenge-5-1-1.core1.prp.core.eircom.net [86.43.253
    .73]
    5 30 ms 29 ms 29 ms tenge-3-2-1.core1.bdt.core.eircom.net [86.43.252
    .9]
    6 44 ms 44 ms 44 ms tenge-1-2-1.pe1.thn.the-thn.eircom.net [86.43.25
    3.82]
    7 43 ms 43 ms 43 ms ge7-1-0.corea.thn.london.eircom.net [86.43.244.1
    94]
    8 44 ms 43 ms 44 ms linx.killercreation.co.uk [195.66.225.123]
    9 44 ms 44 ms 44 ms rt-2-cent.killercreation.co.uk [217.146.94.2]
    10 45 ms 44 ms 44 ms server.killercreation.co.uk [81.19.208.43]

Trace complete.

• Advertisement

Thanks jonski. I'll try that when I get home. Noob question, but... what's the point of this?

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Thanks jonski. I'll try that when I get home. Noob question, but... what's the point of this?

Well you can see in the one I did the hops taken to get to the server and how long they take so if you were to see one of those lines having high numbers like 200ms then you would know that is where the problem lies . For instance in line 2 if it was 200ms for me then that would be the first hop to the exchange whereas I remember a few years back when we were having similar problems and we could see that it was in a particular place in London ( that eircom should have followed up for us but didn't ) some guy on here ( can't remember who now ) contacted them and they were good enough to fix it for us ( rare maybe ) .

There are loads of others on here that know more and can explain better than me with my limited resource brain cell ( singular ) maybe they might chime in and help me from drowning .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

My ping is awful last few weeks to certain servers, found a few servers i can actually play on.

Its not the servers fault tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭mick-fitz8585

Its a real pity after years off prosperity Eircom is still the only provider of internet in most areas around Ireland.

On a side note Eircom is going through loads of internal sh*t, in debt of over 3.1B and will be more if another take over happens and it would be the 8th if im not mistaking since the government sold up.

So Eircom may get worse than it already is.

Thank God im on upc and my only complaint is i cant get the 100MB download yet:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭umpsfar

i ran a tiny program called "uotrace.exe" ran the test for a while and then sent a copy to tech support who finally admitted they knew they had a problem.
    the instructions are old, so old i couldnt tell u if it was bf2 or bad company,
    here they are anyway (im not sure if "easo.ea.com." is still a EA server. but if u google "uotrace.exe" u'll find info its nice cause it will give u alot more info over alot more time averages and other stuff and info on what hops are killing u,etc.

2. Run UOTrace. (If a pop-up box appears telling you 'UO Server List not found,' click No.)
    3. Click the Options menu at the top of the window and select Advanced.
    4. In the rectangular window where the server is listed, type in easo.ea.com.
    5. Click the Trace Route button, which is the fourth button from the left.
    6. After the trace route has completed, click the Poll button.
    7. Let it send around 100 or so packets then click Stop Poll.
    thats just to ea of course

• Advertisement
Advertisement