Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C-Sectioned Heifer: Will she go in calf again?

• 27-03-2012 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Lads and lassies,
    Just looking for a bit of advice/your own experience of....

Had an absolutely smashing Charolais X heifer, calf yesterday. Gave her an AI Aberdeen Angus - docket shows AA as the breed and the bull code is that of an Angus (Dovea bull BOQ ). Called the vet as she was showing no signs of calving naturally. Vet said thats a massive calf, got to section her. Pulls a massive bull calf - red in colour!! Looks like a limousin. AI man has to have given her the wrong bull as I have seen some variations in colour but never seen a black come out red. €230 for the section, cow and calf alive and doing well.

Beside the whole issue of the wrong straw being used by the AI man (I have the docket which says AA, but did not keep the straw). If the cow had died I would have gone after the AI man but since they both lived myself and the father said we'll let it go but check every straw after your man leaves in the future and/or use another AI man I was wondering...
    what experience people had of giving a sectioned heifer/cow the bull again?

The reason I ask is that we had 3 sections in the past 5-10 years - 2 cows broke every time we bulled them and eventually we brought them to the factory and the 3rd (last year) kept, went the whole 9 months, however then stopped eating, looked very sick, called the vet who gave her and injectiont to calf but she dropped dead soon after - Vet reckons calf may have put his foot through the womb and poisoned the cow.

Is there anything we could have done to help these cows stay in calf or is it in the lap of the gods? The Vet obviously tried to keep the whole area clean and sterile while he was working and stitching after.

As is usual in these cases it was the best cows we had that this happened too!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

as long as the cow gets no infections she will go in calf , with the crossing of the two breeds as in your case i think u have no reason to quiz the ai man as ur cow could of got bulled by a weanling or broke into a neighbours field last summer

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Seaba wrote: »
    Lads and lassies,

Had an absolutely smashing Charolais X heifer, calf yesterday. Gave her an AI Aberdeen Angus - docket shows AA as the breed and the bull code is that of an Angus (Dovea bull BOQ ). Called the vet as she was showing no signs of calving naturally. Vet said thats a massive calf, got to section her. Pulls a massive bull calf - red in colour!! Looks like a limousin. AI man has to have given her the wrong bull as I have seen some variations in colour but never seen a black come out red. €230 for the section, cow and calf alive and doing well.

Beside the whole issue of the wrong straw being used by the AI man (I have the docket which says AA, but did not keep the straw). If the cow had died I would have gone after the AI man but since they both lived myself and the father said we'll let it go but check every straw after your man leaves in the future and/or use another AI man I was wondering...

The reason I ask is that we had 3 sections in the past 5-10 years - 2 cows broke every time we bulled them and eventually we brought them to the factory and the 3rd (last year) kept, went the whole 9 months, however then stopped eating, looked very sick, called the vet who gave her and injectiont to calf but she dropped dead soon after - Vet reckons calf may have put his foot through the womb and poisoned the cow.

Is there anything we could have done to help these cows stay in calf or is it in the lap of the gods? The Vet obviously tried to keep the whole area clean and sterile while he was working and stitching after.

Thanks
    What is the heifer crossed with?
    There's no reason why they shouldn't go in calf again, it just seems you've had some bad luck, About 15-20 cesareans here every year, and very few have fertility problems, We have a cow here that was operated on 5 times!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

6480 wrote: »
    as long as the cow gets no infections she will go in calf , with the crossing of the two breeds as in your case i think u have no reason to quiz the ai man as ur cow could of got bulled by a weanling or broke into a neighbours field last summer
    Cheers, there is no chance however that the heifer got bulled by a weanling or by a neighbours weanling as we don't have bull weanlings running with the heifers, or anywhere near them, and the neighbour has only dry stock.

pajero12 wrote: »
    What is the heifer crossed with?
    There's no reason why they shouldn't go in calf again, it just seems you've had some bad luck, About 15-20 cesareans here every year, and very few have fertility problems, We have a cow here that was operated on 5 times!
    We bought the heifer a few months before we bulled her so not 100% sure of her breeding - looks like a Simmental cross to me. Went online on the ICBF website to see what bull she was bred from but it just said 'MANY'?!! Her mom must have been a bit of a tart :-)
    Great to hear that many go in calf again after a C-Section - she is an unreal heifer and I'd cry to have to bring her to the factory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

....Went online on the ICBF website to see what bull she was bred from but it just said 'MANY'?!! Her mom must have been a bit of a tart.......

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭REBEL COUNTY1

"tart" ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

6480 wrote: »
    Cheers, there is no chance however that the heifer got bulled by a weanling or by a neighbours weanling as we don't have bull weanlings running with the heifers, or anywhere near them, and the neighbour has only dry stock.

One of the dry stock could may have been a bull! Not castrated properly! Half a ball is enough to do damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

"tart" ;-)
    we call them slappers round here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I've heard of BOQ throwing some big calves and the odd red one too so it could well have been the right straw

Just looking at his breeding. TUI threw the odd red one too

if he puts up horns you'll know for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Since the Heifer was Charolois X, then you can never be sure what is going to come out (or not as the case may be)!
    I have a Charolois X that was sectioned as a first calf heifer, put her in calf last year to an easy calving limo (PAM) and had no bother. Gave her a Charolois (PIO) this year and a wopper of a calf had to be sectioned. He is a serious animal.
    Two other cows had the same bull and calved on their own; so you can never tell.

I had a cow calve unexpectedly this week; AI was not given so assumed she was not in calve...The only thing that could have bulled here was a 9month old weanling. She is an brass tag cow so was down for culling; I thought she was fattening nicely!
    Put it down to expierance and go with an easy calving for her till she grows full size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Angus4life

Lads and lassies,

Thanks

dont worry its an angus we have a purebred black cow and gave her BOQ as wel red angus calf from her :rolleyes: fuked the AI man about it said its not the first calf red from that bull and neighbour has belgium blum heifer gave her BOQ red bull calf aswel :P..
    cant see why she wont go bac in calf again we had 3 over past years all went back in calf and calfed naturally aswel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Be careful with heifer..perfect weather for the blue bottle. I don't know if anyone else does it but the wet told us to get hydrogen peroxide and dilute it to put it on the wound it to keep it clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Figerty wrote: »
    Be careful with heifer..perfect weather for the blue bottle. I don't know if anyone else does it but the wet told us to get hydrogen peroxide and dilute it to put it on the wound it to keep it clean.

H202 is good alright to clean a wound. Stockholm tar around (NOT on) the wound is good stuff too. The OP's heifer should be fine by now though since she calved in March.
    Any sign of her bulling I wonder and how did she go?
    I was wondering too what age did she calve down at?

Angus4life wrote: »
    dont worry its an angus we have a purebred black cow and gave her BOQ as wel red angus calf from her :rolleyes: fuked the AI man about it said its not the first calf red from that bull and neighbour has belgium blum heifer gave her BOQ red bull calf aswel :P..
    cant see why she wont go bac in calf again we had 3 over past years all went back in calf and calfed naturally aswel

Yep, its an Angus alright. Same AI came around this year and we said to him what breed to you think that fella is, since you bulled her. He said a great Charolais bull calf there - nearly dropped when we said a black. But then we mentioned BOQ and he said that makes sense - he is throwing a good few reds and some very big calves. Not suitable for heifers at all (7% difficulty) Another AI man we use now and again said the same and was wary of using him. Redzer on here said he had a red off him also.

Angus4life wrote: »
    Bizzum wrote: »
    Any sign of her bulling I wonder and how did she go?I was wondering too what age did she calve down at?

She has broken once but she was around in the morning, Dad told the AI man to come as late as he could that evening and he was there at 2pm! Not surprised she broke. She is gone 2 weeks now - will see.
    She calfed at exactly 2 years but I think the previous owner waited a while to tag her - she was a serious animal at 2 years of age - could have been 650/700 kg.

Advertisement