Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell refusing to replace laptop under warranty

Options
  • 27-03-2012 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi all just looking for some feedback on what people think,
    To start off I bought a laptop from a mate in October 2010. The laptop was originally bought in the United States. I contacted dell and they changed the ownership of the laptop to me. They also sold me a 3 year extended warranty. In which it states they will repair or replace the laptop in the event of a breakdown.

In Dec 2011 the laptop had multiple failures. Blu Ray, motherboard, power supply was replaced. The laptop failed again in January 2012 and the mouse pad, keyboard and motherboard were again replaced. It also emerged that in the second motherboard pieces of plastic had burned. The second round of repairs still did not fix the problem. I told them I have had enough repairs and I would like to have the laptop replaced. I also discovered that they are using reconditioned parts in the repairs.

Dell have refused to replace the laptop. They state that as the laptop was originally bought in the states, that I do not have any rights to a replacement. But will continue to replace the parts as long as there are parts available and are not obliged to replace the laptop.

The contract I entered into with them states that it is to be interpreted in accordance with Irish Law. It also provided that they will repair or replace the laptop. There is no mention of unlimited repairs. Have I no recourse for replacement or have I just been mis-sold a warranty with which i could never get a replacement.

Has anybody any similar experience any feedback would be much appreciated. Dell will not answer my emails and the last correspondence stated i should contact customer service in the United States.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

clancyoo7 wrote: »
    Hi all just looking for some feedback on what people think,
    To start off I bought a laptop from a mate in October 2010. The laptop was originally bought in the United States. I contacted dell and they changed the ownership of the laptop to me. They also sold me a 3 year extended warranty. In which it states they will repair or replace the laptop in the event of a breakdown.

In Dec 2012 the laptop had multiple failures. Blu Ray, motherboard, power supply was replaced. The laptop failed again in January 2012 and the mouse pad, keyboard and motherboard were again replaced. It also emerged that in the second motherboard pieces of plastic had burned. The second round of repairs still did not fix the problem. I told them I have had enough repairs and I would like to have the laptop replaced. I also discovered that they are using reconditioned parts in the repairs.

Dell have refused to replace the laptop. They state that as the laptop was originally bought in the states, that I do not have any rights to a replacement. But will continue to replace the parts as long as there are parts available and are not obliged to replace the laptop.

The contract I entered into with them states that it is to be interpreted in accordance with Irish Law. It also provided that they will repair or replace the laptop. There is no mention of unlimited repairs. Have I no recourse for replacement or have I just been mis-sold a warranty with which i could never get a replacement.

Has anybody any similar experience any feedback would be much appreciated. Dell will not answer my emails and the last correspondence stated i should contact customer service in the United States.
    Your rights are limited to what the extended warranty states as you do not have any statutory rights as you are not the original purchaser.

As the warranty was sold to you you do have statutory rights in relation to the actual warranty, if it stated that repair would be attempted then a replacement offered you may have a case but it is probably up to Dell when or if they offer a replacement.

As for them using old used parts you do have rights in relation to any repair and these must be permanent which they are not. the most you could probably claim for is what you paid for the warranty.

Advertisement