Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carragher, Neville & MNF On Sky

• 27-03-2012 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭

i think he is a very good analyst on the Premiership
    but i find his commentry in European games very frustating
    because he is so pro the English teams
    Watching the Chelsea game tonight it was nearly like listening to someone on fanzone calling the game
    he completly overated Chelsea's performance tonight too imo
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

He is good and beating them away is a very good result and should be talked up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I don't think he is any more Pro-English teams than any other English Pundit.

I didn't like him when he was playing but he is doing a good job at Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Him and Tyler seem to be building a good commentary partnership.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Probably the best sky have to offer at the moment. Hated him as a player, decent pundit. He's pro English teams as are most Irish and English commentators I feel.

/waits for Liverpool fans opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Agree with the OP.

He is excellent for the PL stuff, but jesus he is shockingly bad for the CL stuff. Shame really as he's a breath of fresh air at weekends/on MNF.

It's not even that he's 'pro-English', it's that he's hilariously, comically pro English sides (and English players within those sides). In Napoli the other week at one point he said that apart from 2 players the Napoli team were poor & Chelsea could score 5 or 6 in the away leg?! Wtf?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Skid wrote: »
    I don't think he is any more Pro-English teams than any other English Pundit.

I didn't like him when he was playing but he is doing a good job at Sky.
    John Terry clearly handeld the ball
    & Neville said u can't give that even though he arm was stretched out
    he also said Chelsea dominated the 2nd half at one stage
    & then stats showed Benfica had 12 shots to chelsea's 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Nev does seem to want to promote the English league. Said a few times only recently that its the best league in world etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

He said after the United Fulham game that he didn't think Chelsea would win in Benfica and would struggle to get a draw. Maybe he was just impressed with them because he rated Benfica so highly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

He said after the United Fulham game that he didn't think Chelsea would win in Benfica and would struggle to get a draw. Maybe he was just impressed with them because he rated Benfica so highly.
    he started shouting in the 2nd half for Chelsea to switch the ball to the left because a counter was on
    he was nearly as bad as Ray Wilkins which is hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I think he's excellent but he overkills as a co-commentator during a game. I can't remember the exact game but it was roughly a month ago and he wouldn't come up for air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Personally I think Neville might be trying to over emphasize his bias for English teams so his natural bias for United doesn't stand out too much.
    As a United fan i was a bit worried that when Neville started with Sky he might become a bit of a joke because of his love for United and that he would show this far too strongly on camera. He's been anything but that though, and probably has been the best pundit on Sky this season. His overly pro-English commentating though is the one thing that has let him down, and it just seems to me that a lad who has such a passion for Man United couldn't possibly have as much desire as he is showing for the likes of Chelsea to do well.

But i guess this isn't really based on any facts, just my own feeling and opinion, so could easily be pure sh*t*!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Local commentator in bias shocker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Yeah, they're all bias on Sky when it comes to the English teams in Europe. Andy Gray going mental a few years ago when Gerrard scored that goal against Olympiakos. Ray Wilkins with Spurs last year and Neville this year with Chelsea. Not too bothered about it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Neville has done a lot better than I thought he would. His spell in the job last season all he seemed to talk about was United but he became a lot less biased this season and I initiallly thought his voice would be too monotonous to be a commentator but to be fair he's very knowledable about the game aswell.

When you compare him to other co-commentators around like Jim Beglin, Andy Townsend, Mark Lawrenson, Ray Wilkins, Matt Le Tissier I personally would have Neville over any of them.

The English are notoriously blinkered and biased about their game anyway, it in some ways explains how their national team is so poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Going to maybe state the obvious here, but does anyone think there is a possibility that the pundits and commentators are told by Sky to promote the EPL and therefore its teams whenever possible? We might be seeing a bit of what Neville thinks but also Sky know they are broadcasting to a largely British audience and also that the EPL is their prized brand. It's in their interests to big it up.

Anyway as a Liverpool fan, I can say from whatever I've seen of Neville I think he's a step up from the usual pundits on Sky. I've never seen him in Europe so can't comment on that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Morzadec wrote: »
    Going to maybe state the obvious here, but does anyone think there is a possibility that the pundits and commentators are told by Sky to promote the EPL and therefore its teams whenever possible? We might be seeing a bit of what Neville thinks but also Sky know they are broadcasting to a largely British audience and also that the EPL is their prized brand. It's in their interests to big it up.

Anyway as a Liverpool fan, I can say from whatever I've seen of Neville I think he's a step up from the usual pundits on Sky. I've never seen him in Europe so can't comment on that

I was thinking along the lines of that too, he's hardly going to slate the teams that the majority of the viewers support because then nobody would tolerate him and he's be out of a job, I actually think he does a good job and I couldn't stand him as a player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Really like him as a pundit, but I think it's only a matter of time before he says something that will upset set of fans more likely City or Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

have a lot of time for Neville as a pundit. Respected him as a player but as a person he was not the most likeable. I think most fair-minded people would agree now that he has improved the punditry on sky.

I liked his little gem on MNF when he spoke about Ronaldo. 'As usual when England are knocked out of a tournament, they look for a scapegoat'. Zing!

When you compare it to the likes of Redknapp who will not criticise his mates at all, Neville is honest and forthright in his views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Why wouldn't he be biased? He's English. Does George Hamilton not show bias towards Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

deman wrote: »
    Why wouldn't he be biased? He's English. Does George Hamilton not show bias towards Ireland?

think your spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I don't mind the English commentators being overly pro English - it's when the Irish ones do it that it gets annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think most country's commentators are going to be biased when they report on matches involving their own, it's what the public wants.

We just get all uppity about it because of history with the English, but I'm sure the Portuguese think the same of the Spanish coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

In the studio, he is the best there is in England. Co-commentating he is ok, but when he is analysing in the studio he is quality.

I'm a Liverpool fan and was a bit worried when he got the gig full-time but he hasn't been biased at all in the EPL IMO.

He has a fantastic knowledge of the game. Has won it all, and played for and against great teams.

Sky should have just him and Souness doing the analysing from now on, get rid of the other clowns.

Btw, I got some stick from my LFC mates for buying it, but his book is a very good read. Recommended reading for all football fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I've been really surprised at how good he is. His technical knowledge of the game is a step above anyone else on Sky or any other broadcaster in my opinion, Giles is the closest to him in my book which says a lot about the MOTD or ITV lads. His balanced unbiased approach is what really surprised me, I was shocked when they announced he'd be doing it at the start, thought he'd be totally pro Manc/anti everyone else but he's proved himself since.

Calling Michael Oliver 'Michael Owen' after the Man U/Fulham game, bit tongue in cheek I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I like Gary Neville as a pundit. I didn't think I would but his insight is fantastic at times. Don't really like him on commentary because his voice is a bit annoying but overall he's a decent enough pundit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Think his very good on the premiership , Breth of fresh air.

As for this European football ye talk off I thought that finished a few weeks ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Gary Neville should be drafted into RTE for the Euros, especially for the England games. Him vs Dunphy and Giles would be unbelievable TV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

deman wrote: »

Nevilles no George Hamilton. Not until he has a 'danger here' moment anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

astrofool wrote: »
    I think most country's commentators are going to be biased when they report on matches involving their own, it's what the public wants.

We just get all uppity about it because of history with the English, but I'm sure the Portuguese think the same of the Spanish coverage.

The Portuguese more than likely don't watch or pay any attention to Spanish media coverage. We're a bit of a special case because we nearly are more immersed in the media of another country rather than our own.

From experience every country's press are just as bad, if not worse than the British. If you watch any La Liga match in Spain I guarantee you'll hear it referred to as the best league in the world three or four times per match, and the commentators make absolutely no attempt to hide their bias in European games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

As a Liverpool fan I find Gary Neville to be a very good commentator. He is sincere and has a genuine love for the game. He is confident in what he wants to say and is well able to back himself up.

He also doesn't take himself so seriously, and is well able to make jokes about himself. He made a quip about celebrating in front of fans when Evra did at the Liverpool match.

BRILLO.jpg

Gonna be in the shower for a while....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

He's weaker as a CL co-commentator because, well, he genuinely roots for the English teams. But he's been a revelation as an analyst.

His piece on Monday night looking at how Stoke nullified City's attack was the most tactically insightful thing I've seen on TV in years. My wife, who has only developed a passing interest in the game in the last year, was genuinely enthralled. That's the nicest thing I can say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Hes an excellent pundit to be fair to the guy. Seems very fair especially when it comes to his opinions on Liverpool.

Something about his commentary that I dont like, but would defo regard him as the best pundit they have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

He seems OK, still passionate. Camera hates him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

MD1990 wrote: »
    John Terry clearly handeld the ball
    & Neville said u can't give that even though he arm was stretched out
    he also said Chelsea dominated the 2nd half at one stage
    & then stats showed Benfica had 12 shots to chelsea's 5

Ratio of shots is not domination
    Possession is more a marker

But yes, it was a classic euro away game for Chelsea - Let them have possession and hit them on the counter.

http://www.portugoal.net/index.php/more-champions-league-news/32395-benfica-0-1-chelsea-tactical-breakdown

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

I thought he was terrible last night. Its one thing being biased, its another making up things to suit your own views.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

That's the good thing about watching La Liga on Sky, no bias either way. They're OK for sides outside England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

MD1990 wrote: »
    i think he is a very good analyst on the Premiership
    but i find his commentry in European games very frustating
    because he is so pro the English teams
    Watching the Chelsea game tonight it was nearly like listening to someone on fanzone calling the game
    he completly overated Chelsea's performance tonight too imo

Pretty much nailed my feeling on it. Watching him on MNF before the games when he is looking back at the weekends football is fantastic, just something you don't get anywhere else but he needs to wise up on the European front.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

geeky wrote: »
    He's weaker as a CL co-commentator because, well, he genuinely roots for the English teams. But he's been a revelation as an analyst.

His piece on Monday night looking at how Stoke nullified City's attack was the most tactically insightful thing I've seen on TV in years. My wife, who has only developed a passing interest in the game in the last year, was genuinely enthralled. That's the nicest thing I can say about it.

Covers my feelings on the matter.

Excellent pundit, really insightful and clear to the point especially when it comes to his work on Monday Night Football. His commentary for EPL games is alright.

It's just when it comes to Europe, he really drags the Sky line (EPL.. BEST IN THAAA WORLD! line) which is somewhat frustrating especially as someone such as myself who loves the amount of football I have done over the years of various leagues. Extra emphasis in what he say, and he's been steadily getting worse in regards to the Champions League IMHO which is a bit disappointing but oh well.

Shame all in all, as I really want to despise the guy but his analysis always makes for intriguing and rather enjoyable viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

That's the good thing about watching La Liga on Sky, no bias either way. They're OK for sides outside England.
    Eh,La Liga teams are all from the same country......

Gary Neville talks the biggest load of biased ****e i have ever heard.
    Bring back Andy Gray & Richard Keys:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Some Quality analysis by Neville tonight .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Some Quality analysis by Neville tonight .

He's a breath of fresh air. A recent professional who's not afraid to just tell it like it is, no bull**** either. No comparison between him and his predecessor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I dont agree with his dismissal of retrospective banning though. Start handing out three match bans to players found diving and maybe the players will start manning up and not looking like fairies going down under minimal contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

I like the way he brought up Beckham, Lampard and Gerrrard etc instead of going for the obvious like Drogba etc, I rate Neville highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

He does brilliant analysis, but the stuff with Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham diving as if to prove that 'wholesome' players dive too was a bit of bollocks tbh!!! I think everyone already knows the English lads are just as bad as the foreign players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

He's quality!!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

It's all dem pesky foreigners!

Seriously though, great analysis from Neville alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

He was getting fairly worked up about the diving issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

DB21 wrote: »
    He was getting fairly worked up about the diving issue.

No harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    No harm.

Oh God no. It was great to see a pundit show actual passion about something in the game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement