Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carragher, Neville & MNF On Sky

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Pretty sure he tied the non entity comment directly into their performance against Chelsea & how poor they were.

The performance against Chelsea was the example he gave as to why they're a non entity. I think the subtlety of his comment was lost on you. His exact quote was 'With respect to QPR, they're a non entity.

But With respect to QPR, they ARE a non-entity.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

Rekop dog wrote: »
    You could tell he was really hurting tonight but stayed professional again

Calling QPR a non-entity was far from professional. The sole purpose he did that was to rile them up in their game against City on the last day. Obv picked up a few amatuer psychology tricks down the years from Fergie.

QPR's performance against Chelsea was the worst I've seen in the PL all season, to say that they were poor would be a huge understatement. Chelsea could have fielded any team and they would have won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No he was talking about City's remaining games saying they're favourites, Newcastle next week and then play QPR on the last day who are a non entity. He then went on to talk about their performance against Chelsea.

Somebody obviously didn't see the QPR - Chelsea match...

Non-entity was being too kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I think the subtlety of his comment was lost on you.

Subtly? It's amazing the sh!t that people read into a simple comment. There was no subtly involved. He is being realistic, no more, no less.

If you think that City won't steamroll QPR on the last day, if the title depends on it, you are incredibly naive. He isn't expecting QPR to go there and get a result. Nobody is.

If QPRs survival is on the line on the last day, Gary Neville would think that his comments would be more motivation than that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Calling QPR a non-entity was far from professional. The sole purpose he did that was to rile them up in their game against City on the last day. Obv picked up a few amatuer psychology tricks down the years from Fergie.

I see you prefer pundits who dont give an opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Yeah, I don't think Neville is quite that clever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I beginning to feel like the crazy kid here, "there there son, you've such an overactive imagination"

If people actually rewatch Nevilles comment they'd know what i'm talking about. Also the way some people are going on you'd swear there's never upsets in football ever!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Quite obvious but simple, excellent breakdown on England's problems with their seemingly default 442 formation and how to resolve those problems by Neville there.

Wonder if he'll be doing any analysis coverage of the Euros in some other form of the media.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

-Ade- wrote: »
    Quite obvious but simple, excellent breakdown on England's problems with their seemingly default 442 formation and how to resolve those problems by Neville there.

Wonder if he'll be doing any analysis coverage of the Euros in some other form of the media.

Missed it, any legal links to it would be helpful, I always enjoy watching Nev school fools :p

Great analyst

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

he does a column for the daily mail >> all his articles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

He almost seems wasted as a pundit. Should move into management imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

He almost seems wasted as a pundit. Should move into management imo

I believe he wanted to take a step away from hands on football related stuff.
    I reckon he will eventually go into management though. I think he could end up being a mini-Fergie!!!

He has his coaching stuff done doesn't he?

I can see him going into management one day, but will be delighted to have him around doing analysis in the meantime.

He has a great football brain so could with luck be a very good manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Talk of RTE getting him. He can't do any punditry on any of the English free to air channels due to golden handcuffs sky put on their pundits. Same as Souness.

• Advertisement

Talk of RTE getting him. He can't do any punditry on any of the English free to air channels due to golden handcuffs sky put on their pundits. Same as Souness.

Thought Sky told them to F Off though?

kryogen wrote: »
    Thought Sky told them to F Off though?

Didn't hear that. Possibly. They were happy for Souness to go on his jaunts. Honestly all I heard was that RTE were looking.

Didn't hear that. Possibly. They were happy for Souness to go on his jaunts. Honestly all I heard was that RTE were looking.

Pretty sure it was mentioned in the United thread recently enough, haven't heard anything official myself obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

kryogen wrote: »
    He has his coaching stuff done doesn't he?

I can see him going into management one day, but will be delighted to have him around doing analysis in the meantime.

He has a great football brain so could with luck be a very good manager.
    Both Alan Hansen and Andy Gray were offered the managerial jobs at Liverpool and Everton and both turned them down to sit on the couch and get paid handsomely for giving opinions and not having to actually go out and do it, I wouldn't put it past Neville to stay where he is seen as he's managed to land the top pundits job at Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Id actually watch a weekly programme with just this type of stuff. There isnt enough genuine analysis on TV. Most pundits just give comment and opinion which any Joe Soap can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Half an hour with Dunphy and Giles and his face would be stuck like this...

garynevilleface.jpg?w=278&h=300

Dotsey wrote: »
    Both Alan Hansen and Andy Gray were offered the managerial jobs at Liverpool and Everton and both turned them down to sit on the couch and get paid handsomely for giving opinions and not having to actually go out and do it, I wouldn't put it past Neville to stay where he is seen as he's managed to land the top pundits job at Sky.

Being good with a big fancy telly is one thing but managing a club.....

Having said that. If he was made the new United number 2. I'd take that as a shrewd appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

He has just been announced as part of the England coaching staff for the next 4 years
    i wonder will he still do the Premier League on Sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

MD1990 wrote: »
    He has just been announced as part of the England coaching staff for the next 4 years

I say so, not like coaching a club where you have to be there everyweek. Internationals are only every few months so doing both won't be a problem I imagine.

Don't leave us Gary we need a decent pundit on our tv!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Can't imagine him staying with Sky then. He'll be coaching players and then possibly criticising them on TV, could make for some awkward training sessions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I see no reason he can't do both jobs. No PL football to be a pundit on when England matches are on and no england players to coach when PL matches are in. No reason he cant do both.

Great appointment by the FA, I wanted him back at United as coach and then Assistant Manager. Will be interesting to see if he can bite his tongue though - he was quite scathing of the FA in his autobiography. While it may have changed since his playing time with England, I doubt it will have changed that much.

Will also be interesting to see if Carrick and Scholes go to the Euro's. Neville a big fan of both and both would love to work with him. Carrick should go, not so sure about Scholes though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

MD1990 wrote: »

Is it not Phil that is joining the England coaching ?

J. Marston wrote: »
    Can't imagine him staying with Sky then. He'll be coaching players and then possibly criticising them on TV, could make for some awkward training sessions.

If the players are egotistical babies, yeah could be a problem. But I don't think he has ever had a go at anyone on punditry - he has given damn fine and fair constructive criticism, which should be fair enough.

Leiva wrote: »
    Is it not Phil that is joining the England coaching ?

Phil is on the Under 21 staff, Gary announced as senior team coach.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Guess we can quash those rumours of him appearing on RTE so.

He'll be back working for Sky next season I say. Just getting some experience under his belt is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

He'll be back, or so it says on the Sky Sports article.

''The former Manchester United defender, who holds UEFA A and B Coaching Licences, will now be a part of Roy Hodgson's staff at Euro 2012 and beyond, but will also continue with his Sky commitments.''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Didn't he do analysis on the England team and how they don't utilise their players for the system and vice versa? Clearly someone from the FA was watching and a light bulb went off.
    Great experience for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Didn't he do analysis on the England team and how they don't utilise their players for the system and vice versa? Clearly someone from the FA was watching and a light bulb went off.
    Great experience for him.

Yeah he showed up why the coventional 4-4-2 for England is not appropriate anymore with how the European teams set up. He said it will kill England at the Euros if they do it again.

It'll be interesting to see if he'll have much influence out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

He seems to be getting the best out of life after football. Most footballers need to scramble around for work, but not him.

It'll give the conspiracy theorists something else to give out about. The next time he doesn't absolutely destroy an English player for a bad tackle or some bad behaviour people will be moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

i think it's a shrewd appointment. like him or not, he has interesting and intelligent views and could probably bring a lot of value to the team. perhaps he might even be influential in getting scholes to play in the euros of they choose to pursue him

recent video of him talking about how england could improve

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,,19823_7738993,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Tonight confirmed it, as a pundit he is brilliant. Best on Sky by some considerable distance. However, as a commentator, he is ****ing beyond diabolical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

He sounds like his balls haven't quite dropped when he gets excited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Helix wrote: »
    He sounds like his balls haven't quite dropped when he gets excited

He just loves that "oooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhh" scream :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

FFS, he's falling for the sky hype....."Kagawa won't have played in an atmosphere like this before". Suppose some people lap this **** up though

Yes because this isnt a patch on Goodison Park :rolleyes:

tumblr_kyzlj1cTqe1qb9w56o1_500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

he's a div

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Tonight confirmed it, as a pundit he is brilliant. Best on Sky by some considerable distance. However, as a commentator, he is ****ing beyond diabolical.

He does seem to call it down the middle and never lets his emotions call it for him I know on a few occasions last season he ripped into united after they had played bad . I do find him bad at commentating on games he seems so boring or there is something I find that bores me when he commentates . I hated Keyes and Gray I though they where grade a pr1cks but they where entertaining . They seemed very smug or had the we are always right opinion of themselves .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

A particularly ludicrous comment from Neville re Kagawa and the Goodison atmosphere I think he actually realised what he was saying as he just seemed to fade out and then he picked up on something else.

The Goodison atmosphere is one of the better ones in the Prem for sure but Dortmund is a different level.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

In fairness I think the Champions League games last year showed how biased Neville is towards the EPL

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

FFS, he's falling for the sky hype....."Kagawa won't have played in an atmosphere like this before". Suppose some people lap this **** up though

Yes because this isnt a patch on Goodison Park :rolleyes:

In fairness he got half way through the sentence and realised he was wrong, he didnt backtrack but he did go silent.

and he didnt say "Kagawa won't have played in an atmosphere like this before". He said he might not have played in an atmosphere like this before. Half way through the sentence he slowed down and seemed to realise that he was wrong.

• Advertisement

He's just probably clueless about leagues outside the premiership
    Decent pundit though for sky, poor commentator

Nev is not clueless about leagues outside the Prem though, either way, excellent pundit imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

hello Philip

Perhaps just clueless about the German league

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Perhaps just clueless about the German league

It was pointed out, he started off his sentence, then seemed to realise what he was actually saying!

Brain farts are common enough

• Advertisement
Advertisement