Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carragher, Neville & MNF On Sky

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

A particularly ludicrous comment from Neville re Kagawa and the Goodison atmosphere I think he actually realised what he was saying as he just seemed to fade out and then he picked up on something else.

The Goodison atmosphere is one of the better ones in the Prem for sure but Dortmund is a different level.

That in itself is a damning indictment on the atmosphere in Prem grounds. Goodison, while there is at times a decent atmosphere, is often brutal in that regard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Generally speaking, whenever United play away from home the atmosphere is pretty good

kryogen wrote: »
    Generally speaking, whenever United play away from home the atmosphere is pretty good

The atmosphere is always good among away fans. United's home support however, is by and large ****

Yep

I'm not specifically pointing to Utd, its the same in most Prem grounds I've been to. You can't compare the atmosphere in any Prem ground to the likes of Dortmund, Celtic or St Pauli etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I'm not specifically pointing to Utd, its the same in most Prem grounds I've been to. You can't compare the atmosphere in any Prem ground to the likes of Dortmund, Celtic or St Pauli etc

I think the atmosphere has died big time because alot of premiership clubs have lost their regular match goers to people looking for a day out on the drink and to say I was in such and such a stadium . My first Prem game was in December 1996 and I have to say Anfield was electric that night even though we lost to Sheffield Wednesday 1 - 0 . Plus the Price of tickets doesn't help at all .

Utd away fans are pretty quiet when losing. I've seen it myself. Far from the best away fans tbh.

The United away fans put it up to any others in the league tbh

I think the atmosphere has died big time because alot of premiership clubs have lost their regular match goers to people looking for a day out on the drink and to say I was in such and such a stadium . My first Prem game was in December 1996 and I have to say Anfield was electric that night even though we lost to Sheffield Wednesday 1 - 0 . Plus the Price of tickets doesn't help at all .

There's that of course, any rise in the price of a ticket has a far higher relative effect on the local match goer then the tourist, so to speak.

The other issue is the difficulty in getting tickets in groups. A group of fiends together will always contribute far more to an atmosphere then a few strangers sat together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The best away fans in the Premier League in my experience anyway.

• Advertisement

I've never really noticed Utd fans being any more vocal then others. WBA have a decent vocal away support. People often mention Stokes away fans, but I've always thought they were ****. Oh when the...go marching in on fcuking repeat. Villa I remember being impressed with

Paully D wrote: »
    The best away fans in the Premier League in my experience anyway.

Says the Utd fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Says the Utd fan

Sunderland

Says the Utd fan

Pretty big fail there eh

Sunderland

He may be a Sunderland fan primarily, but he's as much a United fan as most in the Utd thread

Pretty big fail there eh

It was deliberate. I was on here for a few years under a previous alias, and remember his United inclination. Not a slight on him as a poster btw

He may be a Sunderland fan primarily, but he's as much a United fan as most in the Utd thread

Doesn't even make sense tbh

You attempting to invalidate someones opinion by labelling them a United fan even though you say you know they are not doesn't make much sense either actually.

Have always found Birmingham and Stoke fans to be pretty good, but as I said, the United away fans stand up to any other fans in the league, they are excellent normally

Doesn't even make sense tbh

You attempting to invalidate someones opinion by labelling them a United fan even though you say you know they are not doesn't make much sense either actually.

Sunderland fan primarily, but with a love of United. No different to those who support United and Celtic, or Liverpool and Rovers in a sense. That would be my impression of him, and so I would take his endorsement of Utd away fan, just as I would your's, as being somewhat rose tinted

That's not a sleight on either of you, just a general observation that fans of a any club tend to believe their own are the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

He's far more up for Villa than United is our Paully D :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

FFS, he's falling for the sky hype....."Kagawa won't have played in an atmosphere like this before". Suppose some people lap this **** up though

Yes because this isnt a patch on Goodison Park :rolleyes:

tumblr_kyzlj1cTqe1qb9w56o1_500.jpg

There's something truly captivating about that image. I can't stop staring at it.

Sunderland fan primarily, but with a love of United. No different to those who support United and Celtic, or Liverpool and Rovers in a sense. That would be my impression of him, and so I would take his endorsement of Utd away fan, just as I would your's, as being somewhat rose tinted

That's not a sleight on either of you, just a general observation that fans of a any club tend to believe their own are the best

They quite often do yes, but the mere fact that I will readily admit that OT is a morgue most of the time should surely demonstrate the possibility of rational thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I was on here for a few years under a previous alias,

Why doesn't that surprise me.

They quite often do yes, but the mere fact that I will readily admit that OT is a morgue most of the time should surely demonstrate the possibility of rational thought?

Yea your right, and tbf from your posts I know that your perfectly capable of putting bias to one side for the sake of rational debate so apologies for suggesting otherwise

I'm a lifelong Sunderland fan with no affiliation to Manchester United. For the record, I'd put Newcastle's away support very close to Manchester United's if I was to compile a list, does that make me a Newcastle supporter now too?

Pro. F wrote: »
    I was on here for a few years under a previous alias,

Why doesn't that surprise me.

In what sense?

I wasn't banned or anything, but choose to close my old account as I was posting too much when I should have been working. I was tommyhaas previously, I've made no secret of that

• Advertisement

I'm a lifelong Sunderland fan with no affiliation to Manchester United. For the record, I'd put Newcastle's away support very close to Manchester United's if I was to compile a list, does that make me a Newcastle supporter now too?

No, but over a number of years from your posts I've always taken away the impression that utd were your second team

I'm not basing this purely on this particular discussion

Paully D has not even been around 2 years yet though :p

Look your point holds weight, fans do tend to view their own as the best a lot of the time, but to dismiss someones opinion because of who they support, or who you believe them to favour, is flawed.

Paully D has not even been around 2 years yet though :p

Look your point holds weight, fans do tend to view their own as the best a lot of the time, but to dismiss someones opinion because of who they support, or who you believe them to favour, is flawed.

I don't mean to dismiss it entirely, just subtract commission

No, but over a number of years from your posts I've always taken away the impression that utd were your second team

I'm not basing this purely on this particular discussion

I don't have a second team at all to be honest.

Probably the main reason for me coming across that way in their Superthread is because of the association that Sunderland have had with Manchester United since around the same team Roy Keane took over. Taking a number of their players on loan, purchasing a number of their players, former Manchester United players taking over as our manager, etc etc. There's been a huge connection there between the clubs for the last 6-7 years and a lot of common interests I suppose.

I won't deny I have a huge amount of respect for them as a club and I find that I ''get on'' with their supporters on here as well as any (but that also probably comes down to the fact that a lot of them seem to post in other forums that I do such as American Football, Basketball, etc) but then again for me the same could be said for plenty of other teams too such as Arsenal and Villa (despite the differences our clubs have had over the Darren Bent transfer) for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

LiamoSail - Who do you support?

Edit: Actually, with a cursory glance at your post history, I can see you're a Liverpool fan. Surely your view of all things United would be far more tainted than the likes of Paully? Where do you get off calling him out on having a soft spot for United but feel you can give your view on anything to do with United?

• Advertisement

I don't have a second team at all to be honest.

Probably the main reason for me coming across that way in their Superthread is because of the association that Sunderland have had with Manchester United since around the same team Roy Keane took over. Taking a number of their players on loan, purchasing a number of their players, former Manchester United players taking over as our manager, etc etc. There's been a huge connection there between the clubs for the last 6-7 years and a lot of common interests I suppose.

I won't deny I have a huge amount of respect for them as a club and I find that I ''get on'' with their supporters on here as well as any (but that also probably comes down to the fact that a lot of them seem to post in other forums that I do such as American Football, Basketball, etc) but then again for me the same could be said for plenty of other teams too such as Arsenal and Villa (despite the differences our clubs have had over the Darren Bent transfer) for example.

Perhaps I have the wrong impression, but I've always held that assumption through your posts

I would agree however about the links in terms of players etc between Sunderland and Man Utd

Edit: Actually, with a cursory glance at your post history, I can see you're a Liverpool fan. Surely your view of all things United would be far more tainted than the likes of Paully? Where do you get off calling him out on having a soft spot for United but feel you can give your view on anything to do with United?

I haven't really said much about Utd, simply that I never noticed their away support being all that great.

I suggested he may have a soft spot for Utd as his posts to me seemed to suggest such. As for discussing Utd in general, I'm more then capable of doing so without bias (in so far as that is even possible), as my post history from my previous alias will verify

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It sounds like it's a crime to actually say anything good about Man Utd if you support another team.

and God forbid he actually has to detail those reasons.

Been to many a United away match and even in pubs after games most rival fans always think we are one of best, if not the best.

Like few mentioned everybody is going be more biased towards their own fans/team(even me), but some of you must watch United with mute. Surprising though that you can hear United sing certain songs "clearly" when it suits though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Sure Sunderland and Hull are like United's reserve and third teams now. No wonder Paully loves us. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

In fairness,I've always thought he was one of the more impartial Liverpool fans (if there is such a thing) on here under his previous username.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Seriously off topic chat here the last few posts lads, none of it to do with the matter at hand, take it to the teams own Superthreads or off topic chat thread and we'll try keep this on track about G. on Sky Sports.

Thanks. ;)

He looks different.

He put on a bit of weight I think and has the new Hitler-esque haircut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

He said something similar about Cazorla, Podolski and Giroud today apparently.

He must have played over 100 games in Europe through his career, how can he be so clueless?

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    He said something similar about Cazorla, Podolski and Giroud today apparently.

He must have played over 100 games in Europe through his career, how can he be so clueless?

Tbf, the sound of thousands leaving a ground with minutes to go and the game still at 3-2 creates a unique atmosphere, the likes of which those who have spent the majority of their career playing in front of a decent fan base may never have experienced. Special atmosphere indeed

Tbf, the sound of thousands leaving a ground with minutes to go and the game still at 3-2 creates a unique atmosphere, the likes of which those who have spent the majority of their career playing in front of a decent fan base may never have experienced. Special atmosphere indeed

Sad!

Sad!

What I posted was true. It wasn't a dig at Utd, just pointing out what is absolutely obvious

• Advertisement

What I posted was true. It wasn't a dig at Utd, just pointing out what is absolutely obvious

you been to OT?

you been to OT?

I have, I'm a Liverpool fan, though it wasn't a Utd Liverpool match I was at. For what its worth, I would say similar about Anfield relative to other grounds in Scotland, Germany or Holland, the atmosphere is poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Neville dissecting Clyne's mistake by getting up off his chair and acting out the positioning!

Love how passionate he gets about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Was about to post on this.

More good analysis. Picking up on Readings defenders all getting dragged in and not one of them looking at the only threat on the edge of the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Neville dissecting Clyne's mistake by getting up off his chair and acting out the positioning!

Love how passionate he gets about it.

You can tell hes really getting into the coaching side of things and Sky are reaping the benefits, he makes for good watching and his analysis is fairly spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I knew he would say something like "that's what the premier league is about" after that game.

I suppose Sky force him to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭me89

JPA wrote: »
    I knew he would say something like "that's what the premier league is about" after that game.

It was a great game to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

Had to laugh at the big squeaking noise when he was dragging the icons across his fancy screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

me89 wrote: »

It was a great game to be fair.

Ya but they're not exclusive to the PL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Ya but they're not exclusive to the PL.

Do you really think there is anyone that believes great games are exclusive the PL?

Advertisement