Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carragher, Neville & MNF On Sky

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Tox56 wrote: »
    Do you really think there is anyone that believes great games are exclusive the PL?

Anyone who works for Sky does :rolleyes:

Neville and particularly Tyler have been over eager this season to tell us that games like City v Southampton and Southampton v Utd is what makes the EPL the greatest and most exciting league in the world like it can't happen anywhere else....total and utter bollocks tbh!

Look at La Liga on Sunday night, Rayo Vallecano were having their arses handed to them by Atletico being 4-0 down with ten minutes to go. 8 minutes later it's 4-3 and you can be sure if that had happened in the EPL Sky would have creamed their jocks.

There are as many good and bad games in the EPL as there is in any other top European League!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Sure if you want last minute drama just watch Shelbourne play anybody

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

kfallon wrote: »

Neville and particularly Tyler have been over eager this season to tell us that games like City v Southampton and Southampton v Utd is what makes the EPL the greatest and most exciting league in the world like it can't happen anywhere else....total and utter bollocks tbh!
    !

They didn't tell it won't happen in any leagues, they said these exciting games is what makes EPL the best league in the world and that's how they should tell to sell their product.

Whether Premier League is the best or not it for another thread but they work for Sky and marketing EPL is part of their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its just Sky selling their package. The EPL is the main reason people subscribe to the Sky Sports packages and if people want to believe what Sky spout all the time then thats their choice.

I dont think anyone would suggest no other league provides entertainment but I wouldnt get too offended by Sky saying the EPL provides the greatest entertainment, its subjective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Look at La Liga on Sunday night, Rayo Vallecano were having their arses handed to them by Atletico being 4-0 down with ten minutes to go. 8 minutes later it's 4-3 and you can be sure if that had happened in the EPL Sky would have creamed their jocks.

There are as many good and bad games in the EPL as there is in any other top European League!

Why on earth does this even warrant talking about? Its just SKY advertising their product, the product they pump millions of pounds into, of course they are going to hype it up. Deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

there are more bad games than good games in the premier league tbh

you've usually got 6 or 7 fairly dire games, and a handful of decent ones each round of fixtures. the standard of football has been on a massive decrease the last few years in england

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Helix wrote: »

you've usually got 6 or 7 fairly dire games, and a handful of decent ones each round of fixtures. the standard of football has been on a massive decrease the last few years in england

It's totally subjective of course, I think if anything the standard has been going up. Man City have started to challenge for titles, at one point last season even Tottenham weren't far off the title race until they totally capitulated.

Added to that you are starting to get teams like Southampton and Swansea who come up from the Championship and are willing to play football to stay up.

And then of course you've got the Champions league stats, there's only been 1 final in the last 8 years that didn't feature an English team, and in 4 of those 8 years there has been at least 2 English teams in the semi-finals.

I don't know if it's the best league in the world or all that, but I don't think the stardard has decreased at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Helix wrote: »

couldnt disagree more
    the EPL has improved massively over the last 5-10 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Just watching Neville again on Monday night football, he really does love the analysis and the preparation he puts in is really setting the bar.

He was up of his seat a number of times as well demonstrating how the goal keepers should be pushing players out of the way.

Don't know if anyone read this article about him and punditry in general

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/nov/27/gary-neville-punditry-sky-bbc?INTCMP=SRCH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yes, I thought his analysis on MNF was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Just had a 2 hour special on the weekends games and the season so far. I thought it was excellent and Neville again proves that he is the best pundit Sky have. He makes MoTD look amateur tbh.

Here was his Team of the season so far. Hard to disagree but I thought West Brom could've done with a representative.

GaryNEville.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

His dismissive attitude of opta's stat based team of the year was great

Just had a 2 hour special on the weekends games and the season so far. I thought it was excellent and Neville again proves that he is the best pundit Sky have. He makes MoTD look amateur tbh.

Posted in the Utd thread about how he went off on one regarding diving! He was on form tonight alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Here was his Team of the season so far. Hard to disagree but I thought West Brom could've done with a representative.

GaryNEville.jpg

Wouldn't have picked Huth or Carrick as I don't rate either.
    Will have to think of replacements for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Did he give a reason for leaving out Michu?

Also why did he pick Huth over Shawcross?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

He said he was coin flipping between Michu and Suarez and had been having the debate all day. He went for Suarez cause overall he's the better player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Posted in the Utd thread about how he went off on one regarding diving! He was on form tonight alright.
    Masterclass on Diving - tip top quality analysis

Also why did he pick Huth over Shawcross?

Yeah basically he said that Huth and Shawcross have been excellent so he just went for Huth

For Suarez he said that while they've both been instrumental in their teams being in the top half, it then comes down to who's the better player, so he went for Suarez.

Stoke are the best defensively in the league and either Huth or Shawcross should be in the back two

Carrick has been a mainstay in the top of the table team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

tricky D wrote: »

did they show that again tonight or did he do a new bit on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

tricky D wrote: »

Is that not a repeat of earlier in the season?

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Is that not a repeat of earlier in the season?

yeah, it's from April going by the YT upload date.

that's what i was asking above - did they just show this again or what

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Anybody know if it will be repeated? Just got home now.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    yeah, it's from April going by the YT upload date.

that's what i was asking above - did they just show this again or what

No its a whole new piece. I think it might be on sky sports 1 again at 10??

Anybody know if it will be repeated? Just got home now.

10pm & 2am - SS1

probably again too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I like Neville but he has any annoying habit of describing things in superlative terms. 'Incredible player', 'that run was absolutely amazing' etc. Most of the time 'good' would have described them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

He is great for the PL but on CL nights can slip a bit into Mr England and become annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He is the best they have in my opinion, miles better than Andy Gray was anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I normally like him but I strongly disapprove of his comments on diving. His views on sportsmanlike conduct were so wrong and were almost a justification of cheating, which is what diving is.

It baffled me a bit because his brother was criticised by his own manager for a dive and credit to Phil he acknowledged he was wrong and had let the club down. Tonight, Gary Neville was saying there have been times when he's lashed out at other players for NOT going down. I was very disappointed.

He was going on about 'this is elite level sport'. It's irrelevant what level it is. The essence of every sport must be 'may the best man/woman win'. I think at one point he even defended the Philip Hindes incident.

This type of 'win at all costs' mentality has ruined cycling over recent times and made a mockery of badminton during the Olympic games when those Chinese athletes were seen trying to intentionally lose.

I'd rather Gary follow the likes of David Moyes and Tony Pulis and condemn the blight of diving/cheating rather than make excuses for it. I lost a lot of respect for his analysis today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Hard to disagree with Neville's keeper, midfield and forwards, but not so sure about the defence. He should have gone 3-4-3 if it meant fitting Michu in there.

I mean you look at the entire midfield and forwards and think that they are players who drag their team along; playermakers, leaders, match winners. Without Michu Swansea would be fighting a relegation battle I'm sure, and you could argue the same about Ba at Newcastle.

Look as hard as you want, Carrick deserves to be there, and that's coming from a big critic of his.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Why do people still question Carrick?
    Hes proved it time and time again. He is a top midfielder.

I remember when some people said G. Neville was rubbish! Madness!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

inmyday wrote: »
    I remember when some people said G. Neville was rubbish! Madness!!!!

I remember people (everyone!) asking what the hell was he doing going in Sky Sports. I thought the same. Nobody expected him to be as good as he is (or as unbiased).
    Can remember somebody saying they thought he'd be similar to the Utd fan in this fanzone video when it came to Utd games: :D

Pj! wrote: »
    I remember people (everyone!) asking what the hell was he doing going in Sky Sports. I thought the same. Nobody expected him to be as good as he is (or as unbiased). .

Well I meant, Neville as a player. Many a footie fan thought he wasnt a brilliant player, including utd fans.
    Excellent player. Loved him and beckham on the right side.

But youre right. Not many would believe he would make a decent pundit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,257 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Tonight, Gary Neville was saying there have been times when he's lashed out at other players for NOT going down. I was very disappointed.
    In fairness he was saying that when someone has been fouled but didnt go down...
    He was going on about 'this is elite level sport'. It's irrelevant what level it is. The essence of every sport must be 'may the best man/woman win'. I think at one point he even defended the Philip Hindes incident.
    That put a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, but then again, its in the rules (but clearly this was taking advantage of the rules and in breach of the spirit)
    This type of 'win at all costs' mentality has ruined cycling over recent times and made a mockery of badminton during the Olympic games when those Chinese athletes were seen trying to intentionally lose.
    I think you see the same in all sports, e.g. trying to come out second of the group stages if it means a better draw in the next round...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

inmyday wrote: »
    Well I meant, Neville as a player. Many a footie fan thought he wasnt a brilliant player, including utd fans.
    Excellent player. Loved him and beckham on the right side.

But youre right. Not many would believe he would make a decent pundit.

I know yeah. I was just rambling on...

He was brilliant though (player). Got better as he went on. Pure dedication. As a trainee he stayed back after training when it wasn't the done thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I normally like him but I strongly disapprove of his comments on diving. His views on sportsmanlike conduct were so wrong and were almost a justification of cheating, which is what diving is.

It baffled me a bit because his brother was criticised by his own manager for a dive and credit to Phil he acknowledged he was wrong and had let the club down. Tonight, Gary Neville was saying there have been times when he's lashed out at other players for NOT going down. I was very disappointed.

I'd rather Gary follow the likes of David Moyes and Tony Pulis and condemn the blight of diving/cheating rather than make excuses for it. I lost a lot of respect for his analysis today.

I missed his piece tonight, but I'd imagine that this is quite close to what I would be thinking after watching. I didn't agree with his views earlier in the season.

He's a fantastic pundit, one of the best around. I don't think he's infallible though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

I personally think he is a quality pundit in the studio, as a commentator he still has a bit of learning to do (a bit like Niall Quinn:p). I didn't particularly like Gary as a player (his attitude/demeanour, not his playing ability), always thought he was a bit arrogant. But i think like many others (even Liverpool fans:eek:) we've come around to appreciate his superb knowledge of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

He is a quality pundit. He seems to see things you would never think of. His analysis of teams is just so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Gary Neville has a rant about too many foreign players in Premier League sides.

I generally agree with most that he says, and while he has a point to an extent, I'm not sure if he's right here.

I think it's more of a case of an influx of signings in a short space of time rather than the fact they're foreigners.

They talk about Arsenal - their most successful team of recent years was the least English team they've had. He uses them now as an example of a top side going back to a core of home-grown players, but the fact is that Arsenal have been below the standard they want to be as of late. This Arsenal team is nothing on the French-dominated side of 2002-2005.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I don't agree that the number of non-English players is the problem at Newcastle. But it's great to hear a pundit having an opinion and getting passionate about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Neville is a very good pundit. But is a bit anti foreign players i find and he gives British players the benefit of the doubt

I think Neville has a point, however I would say that clubs should be promoting from within; nationality shouldn't matter then as they are already imbedded in the club.

In saying that, that's a long game and very few supporters have the patience for the long game.

I think Neville feels that there are a few too many mercenaries coming in for the money with little care how the club does as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Even if you disagree with what he's saying in general, for the "Dinner at 12, supper at 5" line alone, he should have a job for life. :D

I think Neville feels that there are a few too many mercenaries coming in for the money with little care how the club does as a whole.

Thats a good point.

But is there enough british talent good enough to compete at the highest level in the premier league and the champions league???
    I think the answer is no. The EPL is dog eat dog. If you dont have talented players you will struggle.
    It doesnt matter what passport a player has, all that matters is results.

neddynono wrote: »
    He is a quality pundit. He seems to see things you would never think of. His analysis of teams is just so good.

I think the exact same can be said about Richie Sadlier. Both are quality

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Monday Night Football Season Preview is on at the moment on Sky Sports 1... yes, it's Thursday.

Repeat is on at 12am SS1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

As a Liverpool fan I always admired Neville. Last of a dying breed of footballers who are proud of there club and city and would give everything for the shirt. Much like Jamie Carragher.

Sky have two guys who are extremely passionate about there sport and you can still see that passion in them.

Ask Neville why X team lost that game he will give you 4/5 points well explained points, ask Shearer/Hansen they will say the same thing all the time 'lacked passion/commitment/desire". Thanks Alan(s) very insightful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Monday Night Football Season Preview is on at the moment on Sky Sports 1... yes, it's Thursday.

Repeat is on at 12am SS1

Switches on link...

"They had parachutes on them running back"

Brilliant!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

rob316 wrote: »
    Ask Neville why X team lost that game he will give you 4/5 points well explained points, ask Shearer/Hansen they will say the same thing all the time 'lacked passion/commitment/desire". Thanks Alan(s) very insightful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement