Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carragher, Neville & MNF On Sky

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Probably should resurrect this to include Carragher and MNF in general. Think Carragher is doing a good job. Never was a fan of him as a player but he clearly knows what he's talking about. Seems to be going off on tangents and not finishing his train of thought but that's to be expected on his first evening. Good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I be honest I think Carragher will come good. I quite like him personally and have respect for the guy who gave his all for club. Even if it is Liverpool.

In fairness he took the joke by Neville well too. They be good combination in time. Never thought I would say it though:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Not so sure about a great start, but I think there was enough there to say that once he settles down he will be a bit easier to watch, he was hard to listen to at a few stages tonight. Even then he offered more actual analysis than any of the MOTD/RTE goombas.

I do hope its not both him and Neville doing Monday night football though, and that he is just being eased in beside Neville. The show works better with one pundit giving clear, detailed analysis, having the time to explain his thoughts without having to stop and let others speak. Leave Neville on his own!

Not so sure about a great start, but I think there was enough there to say that once he settles down he will be a bit easier to watch, he was hard to listen to at a few stages tonight. Even then he offered more actual analysis than any of the MOTD/RTE goombas.

I do hope its not both him and Neville doing Monday night football though, and that he is just being eased in beside Neville. The show works better with one pundit giving clear, detailed analysis, having the time to explain his thoughts without having to stop and let others speak. Leave Neville on his own!

Agreed on the last part. Not liking Neville taking a bit of a back seat. What you gain in the two bouncing ideas off on one another, you lose in fully formed ideas and analysis with both of them feeling like they have to contribute a soundbite on every issue. You won't get something like Neville's diving masterclass from last season with the two of them there looking for air time.

Ed Chamberlain doesn't get enough praise, actually. He comes across as a decent bloke and seems to know and understand his place on the show. Not looking for the limelight and happy to add the professional gloss to their unedited analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Neville did contribute just happened to agree with Jamie because they are both defenders. Your not going to get diving masterclasses every night. Carragher had a tough first night but his analysis was top notch, he saw alot most never see.

Agreed on the last part. Not liking Neville taking a bit of a back seat. What you gain in the two bouncing ideas off on one another, you lose in fully formed ideas and analysis with both of them feeling like they have to contribute a soundbite on every issue. You won't get something like Neville's diving masterclass from last season with the two of them there looking for air time.

Ed Chamberlain doesn't get enough praise, actually. He comes across as a decent bloke and seems to know and understand his place on the show. Not looking for the limelight and happy to add the professional gloss to their unedited analysis.

You're right there.

Does a professional job and without wanting to standout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I like Carragher as a pundit and enjoyed him on Euro 2012 but I wish he wasn't on the MNF show. Too many cooks and all that...

Why not just have him replace the old guard - Souness, Hoddle, for example.

I suppose I need to give it more of a chance. Maybe they will find a good balance in time.

Speaking of Neville, I loved Barney Ronay's description of him in The Guardian a few days ago:
    It is often those who don't seem to be enjoying it very much who turn out to have been having an absolute ball all along. Gary Neville spent the endgame of his professional career reduced to a kind of spoiling role, the kind of full-back who seems concerned above all with stopping any football happening. And yet in his televisual guise it turns out he loves football to an almost alarmingly profound degree, striding about his studio with a look of uncontainable wonder, eyes wide, like a very intelligent badger in a waistcoat desperate to demonstrate the workings of his miraculous chocolate factory.

That description is from a hack that should have been put of to pasture along time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

IMO Neville should be left alone, and Carragher should replace one of the more boring pundits on Saturday/Sunday games.

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    Neville did contribute just happened to agree with Jamie because they are both defenders. Your not going to get diving masterclasses every night. Carragher had a tough first night but his analysis was top notch, he saw alot most never see.

But if Neville wanted to do something similar this year, Carragher would have to be involved to give his insight too. The time would be split between the two and you wouldn't get the same in-depth, fully realised opinion piece that you would get if it was just one of them. This is the point I was making. I'm not expecting something like that to happen every Monday, and the upside of having two people is that they bounce ideas off one another, but you'll lose out in parts along the way.

I'd also be wary that they have too much respect for one another and they'd be less likely to call each other out if they feel the other is talking nonsense. Obviously, that's speculation on my part and it remains to be seen. For me, they should find a vehicle for Carragher and leave Neville to MNF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

The impartial GN:

Paraphrasing btw:

On arsenal making a bid for cabaye, they left it too late, you are not going to sign players this late in the window

On everton rejecting manu's offer for fellani and Baines, united probably wanted to get Ronaldo or Fabregas in first, now they failed with those they are going after these 2, its the right move

Both offers were discussed in the media on the same day, one was ill timed and late, the other supposedly well timed ... Make up you mind Gary!

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    The impartial GN:

Paraphrasing btw:

On arsenal making a bid for cabaye, they left it too late, you are not going to sign players this late in the window

On everton rejecting manu's offer for fellani and Baines, united probably wanted to get Ronaldo or Fabregas in first, now they failed with those they are going after these 2, its the right move

Both offers were discussed in the media on the same day, one was ill timed and late, the other supposedly well timed ... Make up you mind Gary!

His point was more about Arsenal's need for players, right? He said that it was too late in the window to fix their problems as they need 4 or 5 players and that one player wasn't going to solve it. He said they should have had 4 or 5 deals wrapped up earlier.

United's need is obviously less apparent than Arsenal's. They're an injury away from Sagna playing centre back.

But if Neville wanted to do something similar this year, Carragher would have to be involved to give his insight too. The time would be split between the two and you wouldn't get the same in-depth, fully realised opinion piece that you would get if it was just one of them. This is the point I was making. I'm not expecting something like that to happen every Monday, and the upside of having two people is that they bounce ideas off one another, but you'll lose out in parts along the way.

I'd also be wary that they have too much respect for one another and they'd be less likely to call each other out if they feel the other is talking nonsense. Obviously, that's speculation on my part and it remains to be seen. For me, they should find a vehicle for Carragher and leave Neville to MNF.

I think one or the other will go do one of the other shows. Carragher is learning the trade and on his 1st show, he looked as good as Neville did on his 1st! It is likely that they end up on different shows because they are similar in thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Thought Carragher relegated Neville to the sidelines too much tonight. Expect that was intentional as it was his first show. Think there's loads of potential for them to be an excellent pairing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

Really enjoyed watching Carragher & Neviile,
    I think they got it spot on tonight,
    Great viewing for me.
    Roll on next monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I thought Carragher was a little too hyper and seemed to jump in a bit too much, but I'd put that down to nerves. I enjoyed his analysis of the weekends action and during half-time and full-time of the Manchester City match.

I think there's a lot of potential there for Carragher and Neville as a partnership. Once Carragher settles in and slows down a bit, and they've both had a few weeks of prep together, I think it will take off. He's a little bit difficult to understand, but he can't help his accent I guess!

Agree on the Ed Chamberlain comments, I think he's an excellent host. I really like how, if Gary says (for example) ''Kompany was in the wrong position here'', Ed will say ''why was he in the wrong position and where should he have been, Gary?''. It gives the viewer far more information and knowledge and it's something other hosts don't do, as it makes for an awkward situation when said pundit doesn't have a clue what he is talking about. Thankfully, that's not a problem for Neville.

Ever since Keys and Gray got the chop and Chamberlain and Neville took over in August 2011, Monday Night Football is easily Sky Sports' best show IMO.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    The impartial GN:

Paraphrasing btw:

Na, sorry bud, you misunderstood what he was saying I think

He quite clearly said, Arsenal need a big shop, 4 or 5 good quality players and its too late in the window to get in the players they would need now. They needed plenty of players, they should have been doing their business early. He plainly says, no 1 player is going to fix Arsenals problems.

United are looking to bring in 1 or 2 players, again, quite different.

Do you see the difference now? Didn't contradict himself at all tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Thread title updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

kfallon wrote: »
    Keys believes he will be working with a better class of pundit in his current job.
    We have had a whole host of people come and see us. Keegan, Shearer. Hoddle is coming. We've had Peter Reid. We've had David Platt. Peter Schmeichel is coming. Terry Venables is coming.
    Shearer

I love the part when he says the have quality coming over to join them and then names some of the pundits, all he was short of saying was Wilkins and Quinn were joining to make it even more cringe worthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I love the part when he says the have quality coming over to join them and then names some of the pundits, all he was short of saying was Wilkins and Quinn were joining to make it even more cringe worthy.

The novelty will wear off Carra and Neville - yeah cos the novelty of you and Gray didn't wear off by about the first month!

Have to say when they got the bullet from Sky it was one of my fondest footballing memories :pac:

Keys is bitter and deluded imo, but he does have a point about the British media, it is controlled by a select few.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Keys is bitter and deluded imo, but he does have a point about the British media, it is controlled by a select few.

It is, and it is far, far from perfect. I fail to believe the media in Dubai is a whole lot more, honest, however.

Neville was a breath of fresh air last season, theres been good banter between the 3 of them so far but TBF Neville is a much better pundit then Carragher is right at this time.

The buddy/buddy style well no doubt grate after awhile as I dont think Neville needed another guy to bounce off he was done well enough on his own.

Agree with Dempsey, he comes across as fairly bitter and its a chance to get the knife in against Sky and hes done it to a degree but some of his points, I hope he doesnt believe that the quality of pundit they're bringing in is in anyway superior, across the board they're poor. Shearer, O'Leary, Veneables, Schmeichel.

If Keys could persuade Al-Jazzar totake on Redknapp now it would be the best thing to happen since Gray and himself left.

kryogen wrote: »
    It is, and it is far, far from perfect. I fail to believe the media in Dubai is a whole lot more, honest, however.

TBH, I often be watching Reys/Gray on Al-Jazeera and they trot out the same tired rubbish they did on Sky. They are not doing current affairs or politics so I suspect there is more freedom to criticise/slate things but they are nowhere near RTE for it. Them two moving to Doha to find work does say a fair bit though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Keys and Gray are incredibly annoying, particularly when on Talksport with their constant chuckling as though they are the kings of the world......

...however....

that whole Sky business was a very strange issue. Gray was suing Rupert Murdoch via the Sun newspaper at the time for suspected bugging before the whole phone tapping saga unfolded.

It seemed very strange to me that such incidents, (some of which had happened years before) suddenly came into the public domain.

Don't get me wrong, I particularly dislike Richard Keys and his delusion of having an opinion that matters, but something did not seem right there.

I'm off to the Conspiracy Theories forum
    >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Keys and Gray are incredibly annoying, particularly when on Talksport with their constant chuckling as though they are the kings of the world......

...however....

that whole Sky business was a very strange issue. Gray was suing Rupert Murdoch via the Sun newspaper at the time for suspected bugging before the whole phone tapping saga unfolded.

It seemed very strange to me that such incidents, (some of which had happened years before) suddenly came into the public domain.

Don't get me wrong, I particularly dislike Richard Keys and his delusion of having an opinion that matters, but something did not seem right there.

I'm off to the Conspiracy Theories forum
    >

Well it's obvious they were set up. It's just a question of who did it, someone direct by Murdoch or someone else who worked their who just hated them.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Apparently, there were no shortage of potential suspects in Sky who wanted them gone. From what I read at the time, it seemed they had pissed off too many people with their arrogance and boorishness.

They are no loss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Having watched MNF a few times this season, Carragher looks a good pundit, but I still think Neville is better suited to being the sole pundit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Neville gives a top notch analysis based on facts whil Carra gives a more fan orientated perspective, as a guy that hated both players I find them both equally watchable

Carragher for me is good. I like him. Still bit to work on, but I think he get better.

Neville is much better though when it comes to talking about their own clubs. Carragher is still very biased.

Other than that its thumbs up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Very good they are but I think they would excel more on there own. One on SNF and the other on MNF would be best I think.

Or take that bellend Redknapp off Sky altogether and replace him with one of Gary or Jamie.

Anyone else just not able to stand Redknapp, hes the biggest brown nose on TV, wants to be everyones pal, his opinion is what the other person says. I was delighted when Mourinho called him out a couple weeks ago.

Didn't watch the analysis last night, did they do a round up of the weekend too? Townsend get much of a mention?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

rob316 wrote: »
    Anyone else just not able to stand Redknapp, hes the biggest brown nose on TV, wants to be everyones pal, his opinion is what the other person says. I was delighted when Mourinho called him out a couple weeks ago.

I don't know of anyone who actually likes Redknapp. Why Sky still employ him baffles me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

rob316 wrote: »
    Very good they are but I think they would excel more on there own. One on SNF and the other on MNF would be best I think.

Or take that bellend Redknapp off Sky altogether and replace him with one of Gary or Jamie.

Can anyone link me to where Mourinho calls Redknapp him out or at least give me the cliff notes of what was said.

Type in www.youtube.com

Then type in

Mourinho calls out Redknapp

Simple enough eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Carragher's getting better by the week, but Neville still trumps him for now.

sometimes Carra is simply too eager to make a point and hasn't articulated it in his head before it comes out. this means he still ends up talking some pointless guff from time to time as he realises his point is going nowhere. his bias is merely funny at the minute. he called Suarez's first at the weekend the goal of the weekend :pac:

Neville's insight continues to be top-notch. his handling of United last night was superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Anyone else think Redknapp is almost been given a back seat nowadays to Carragher and Neville?
    Nevill is by far the best studio pundit, I don't think he makes a good co-commentator though, for me that's probably Davie Provan.

The Keys article is ludicrous I hope his tongue was rooted in his cheek when he was listing those guest analysts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Personally I am less impressed with Carragher as the weeks go by. He just can't articulate himself, and when he does I don't find his points to be all that revealing.

Its not just the accent and the hand waving, look at him last night at half time trying to analyse Newcastles horrific defending. It amounted to gesturing at the screen and saying "Look at it, look at it". It was clear he knew why it was awful defending, but he couldn't spit it out.

I find myself wishing he would finish up and just let Neville talk.

Not a huge fan of pundits, as do they atually tell you anything you don't discuss in here?

However, the banter is good enough between the two of them anytime I've watched. Neville speaks sense and Carragher is has been ok, not as good as Neville but by all acounts improving. New job and all that.

I wouldn't be too upset if I never seen either of them on tv again though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Really enjoying Neville and Carra. Even if Carra's articulation isn't the best it's almost like a double-act (not to disrespect Carra but that is a criticism I've seen of him). I think they are both more interesting than any other pundits on TV. That's for the premier league anyway, haven't seen much champions league coverage on sky this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i think Neville's involvment with England & with Phil being a coach with Utd is compromising his position on sky
    only criticises non British players & seems to think Man Utd troubles is nothing to with Moye's inept tactics & management

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

You could hear the frustration and bemusement at what was going on in his voice today.

But yeah, not a chance will he say anything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

He was slamming Vidic after the penalty/sending off, which is fine as a team mate - you want your own players to make the correct decisions and Vidic's tackle was reckless.

But I wonder if it wasn't Sturridge who'd dived (or specifically, not an English player) would he have maybe mentioned that it wasn't even a foul? Edit: <--- That's badly worded

I wonder would Neville have been as quick to blame the CB instead of Sturridge for diving if Sturridge wasn't English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Compromising his position??
    LOL :D
    You want him to be sacked for being biased or something???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

He definitely said the tactics were to blame today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Compromising his position??
    LOL :D
    You want him to be sacked for being biased or something???

would there be anybody left? :pac:

it is compromising something though, people opinion about him, as seen above & in the match thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Neville is a Country mile ahead if anything else sky has to offer

Hated him as a player but the fairest honest pundit of them all

• Advertisement
Advertisement