Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex Dell Employees?

• 27-03-2012 11:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

Just wondering did anyone avail of the EGF fund and what did you actually get from them. What made you qualify for it?

Ive been told if you get free fees you dont qualify so how else would a person going to college qualify for it?

Can you claim for a new laptop or something like that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

A fair share of the money was sent back to Brussels unspent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

As far as I know, early last year was the cut off point for applying for funds. It's been sent back now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

Serious this is one silly thread and about a year out of date, I mean claim a new laptop, really media999 really. jeasus wept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Beaver1 wrote: »
    Serious this is one silly thread and about a year out of date, I mean claim a new laptop, really media999 really. jeasus wept

How is a silly thread? How the **** is it a year out of date when people are still being made redundant. Dont post in the ****ing thread if it bothers you that much you fool.

A lot of people all over Ireland being made redundant being told the EGF fund will help them. What there not being told is its actually worth jack ****.

More than just Dell where offered it. Looks like it didnt help Dell anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

well you did say ex-dell employees, didnt you. which means its out of date as the egf for exdell employees has been sent back over a year ago

yeah you can claim for a new laptop and if you tell them you live more than 5 miles away, you can claim for a new car too as long as its ecofriendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Alltherage

It did actually cover laptops if you were on a course that required students to own one(very few). In the last few months when it was still active there were some pretty good courses run for EGF folks.
    It was very last ditch but it was worth more than jack ****.

Alltherage wrote: »
    It did actually cover laptops if you were on a course that required students to own one(very few). In the last few months when it was still active there were some pretty good courses run for EGF folks.
    It was very last ditch but it was worth more than jack ****.

Frankly the courses offered now are no use compared to CAO courses.
    At the same time the EGF doesnt help in college for anyone thats been made redundant because they already qualify for BTEA.

A lot of people blamed the government for mismanaging the EGF fund for Dell and apparently "TalkTalk wont make the same mistakes" but how were mistakes made if people just dont even qualify for it.

Is there something im missing? What do people actually use it for? Im not after a laptop or anything. Dont need one. Just using that as an example. I would have thought it would make more sense to use it for rent or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DOBBER112

I used every penny available to me and all the below was paid for or reclaimed.

Emergency Medical Technician
    C truck license
    D1 Bus license
    Cardiac First Responder Instructor

I made use of the full 6k that was available to me to pay for all the above and am working in a new industry thanks to the funding that I received.

DOBBER112 wrote: »

C truck license
    D1 Bus license

I made use of the full 6k that was available to me to pay for all the above and am working in a new industry thanks to the funding that I received.

Cheers for the info.

Any ideas how someone going to college would benefit from it?

Its near impossible to get answers on this down here.

Media999 wrote: »
    Cheers for the info.

Any ideas how someone going to college would benefit from it?

Its near impossible to get answers on this down here.

Give them a call, here's the website with info for you.

Good Luck :)

http://egf.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

C truck license
    D1 Bus license

Fair play. Have nothing but admiration for a person that takes an opportunity to retrain, work hard, and get themselves into a totally different line of work to what they had been in.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Fair play. Have nothing but admiration for a person that takes an opportunity to retrain, work hard, and get themselves into a totally different line of work to what they had been in.

Thanking you! It was hard aul slog but the fact that financial assistance was available made it easier on me.
    Enjoy my work now, real job satisfaction out of it at the end of the day.

Give them a call, here's the website with info for you.

Good Luck :)

http://egf.ie/

Already did. It was hard to get a proper answer from them. I was just looking for examples from ex Dell workers that maybe went the college route and availed of it.

I dont think its any use for going to college. Good for others alright but it doesnt make sense that they wouldnt help people going to college a bit more. Would have been a big help to claim for rent or some other living expense.

Already did. It was hard to get a proper answer from them. I was just looking for examples from ex Dell workers that maybe went the college route and availed of it.

I dont think its any use for going to college. Good for others alright but it doesnt make sense that they wouldnt help people going to college a bit more. Would have been a big help to claim for rent or some other living expense.

They will only cover the cost of courses as far as I know, whether that's open to college courses now I'm not sure about that. Maybe call into their office in Limerick and ask them. I found them very helpful when reclaiming for the cost of my course. Not sure about deadlines now either maybe its not possible to reclaim for money already paid out, but work asking.
    The quiet child gets no sweets :D

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I don't know what course he did, but a lad in work here was in dell and took up training through the grant. Must have been some web development and sql. He applied himself obviously and is putting it to use now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

I've contacted them myself a couple of months back, and they said that any type of funding was no longer available. :(

It's a shame it hadn't a longer deadline

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    I've contacted them myself a couple of months back, and they said that any type of funding was no longer available. :(

It's a shame it hadn't a longer deadline

That's right, I remember reading an article about money that wasn't claimed that was sent back after the deadline. The DRWA tried to have it extended but to no avail. Pity is right as the money was there for the taking :(

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

I was made redundant from Dell three years this month, so I availed of the EGF funding when it was available. I got a laptop from it and two part time courses. Sadly a lot of people didnt even know the funding existed, and some that did actually thought it was cash-in-hand they were entitled to. Spot on about the deadline restriction,I could be doing a full time course with it just to keep my brain ticking over. Sadly, it's not to be.

I was made redundant from Dell three years this month, so I availed of the EGF funding when it was available. I got a laptop from it and two part time courses. Sadly a lot of people didnt even know the funding existed, and some that did actually thought it was cash-in-hand they were entitled to. Spot on about the deadline restriction,I could be doing a full time course with it just to keep my brain ticking over. Sadly, it's not to be.

You should automatically qualify for BTEA anyway if you were made redundant.

Which means full dole while attending full time third level anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

You should automatically qualify for BTEA anyway if you were made redundant.

Which means full dole while attending full time third level anyway.

Yeah,all depending on getting a merit in the one I am currenty doing. We'll see. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

C truck license
    D1 Bus license

Epic. Kudos! Some people are born to make their own way no matter what.

I know several of your "ex colleagues" who did nothing but moan about the fund as they weren't been given the cash directly....to drink and gamble basically.

john_cappa wrote: »
    Epic. Kudos! Some people are born to make their own way no matter what.

I know several of your "ex colleagues" who did nothing but moan about the fund as they weren't been given the cash directly....to drink and gamble basically.

A waste of an opportunity for anybody who didn't at least give the EGF or Fás a call in reference to funding. I dealt with a lovely lady in Fás and she advised me on what I was entitled to and how to claim it. Funding was always approved quickly and my calls/emails were always returned/answered. Complete professional.

Shocked to read this on an EGF website

"One Student attending a Third level course has recently acquired a Laptop via EGF funding for €3500."

Shall be enquiring about this myself. I wonder how he justified needing a 3500 Euro laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Shocked to read this on an EGF website

"One Student attending a Third level course has recently acquired a Laptop via EGF funding for €3500."

Shall be enquiring about this myself. I wonder how he justified needing a 3500 Euro laptop?

i can assure you that this is entirely possible when you take into account the cost of a high spec laptop alone, not to mention the cost of the software.

when you do contact the EGF, be sure to pass on my heartfelt congratulations as i for one would not begrudge anyone the opportunity to upskill themselves, nor having the initiative to do so, and i would wholeheartedly support them in their endeavours.

i can also guarantee you the person didnt just get it handed to them, and would have had to jump through a hell of a lot of hoops to get it. just because others failed to show the same initiative does not mean they should begrudge those that did.

xsiborg wrote: »
    i can assure you that this is entirely possible when you take into account the cost of a high spec laptop alone, not to mention the cost of the software.

when you do contact the EGF, be sure to pass on my heartfelt congratulations as i for one would not begrudge anyone the opportunity to upskill themselves, nor having the initiative to do so, and i would wholeheartedly support them in their endeavours.

i can also guarantee you the person didnt just get it handed to them, and would have had to jump through a hell of a lot of hoops to get it. just because others failed to show the same initiative does not mean they should begrudge those that did.

Absolutely.

How much is facebook, Google and even Instagram worth these days? :pac: What industry pretty much announces 500 new jobs a week at this stage?

Im sure they had to start somewhere but try convincing someone who isnt IT savvy that a few grand of equipment isnt as big an investment as any other course.

For some reason i assume they would turn around and tell you a 500 euro laptop is sufficient. Never though about the software. That could well be whats driving up the price.

Ill see in a couple of months as i cant apply till i get accepted into College.

Advertisement