Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gracie Family Feud

• 28-03-2012 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Watched a couple of really old videos of Helio Gracie and Carlos Gracie which was really cool, its on youtube, but then i dont know how, but i seemed to come across some websites talking about the gracie family feud within the gracie family? i was wondering was there really hatred within the gracie clan and what where the feuds really about and who was involved?

anyone got any info? :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

It was mainly between Carlson's team and The Gracie Humaita and Gracie Academy guys. They would have fights between them, but there was also stories of them uniting if they got trouble from other guys like Luta Livre. There was a difference in style between the two teams, Carlson's being the stronger fighters who cross trained more, and Gracie Academy being the more traditionalists generally. Wallid Ismael, one of Carlson's top fighters, was known for his rivalery with the students from Gracie Humaita and co, and he choked Royce unconscious in a famous BJJ match.

There has always been arguing over the origin of BJJ, guys from Carlos' lineage saying he started, guys from Helio's saying Helio started it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

A bit off topic but watching Royce in the original UFC tournaments is class. Fights guys of all sizes and submitting them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 K.Byrne_BJJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Oh yeah Bloody Elbow have a great series on BJJ history, interesting stuff! Also search for the "Rickson Gracie FAQ" Sherdog thread, it's one of the most interesting threads I have ever read, some crazy info!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Zen machine

the gracies are a very large family and have had many falling outs,some still dont talk after 20 yrs since the argument(carley doesnt talk to rorion since the lawsiut betwenn both).Rickson and rorion didnt talk since 1995 when he left the gracie academy but in the last year or so theyve had rickson do seminars at the academy.As someone already mentioned carlos side and helios side dont mix a lot with often only carlos/helios photo in the respective schools.I was surprised to see no helio photo at rogers school in london when he obviously has done a huge amount for the art.Even last year renzo and the gracie academy had a bit of a bust up verbally over the fact that renzo wasnt teaching the "real gjj"

• Advertisement
Advertisement