Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tullamore Distillery...

Options
  • 28-03-2012 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

Grants will build a new distillery in Tullamore for the Tullamore Dew brand. Great news.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

While we still have a long ways to go, its great news.

A big problem for new distilleries must be the first 3 years when any spirit they produce is not whiskey. Maybe we will have tullamore dew young spirit first to wet our whistles.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It might make sense to start releasing "poiteen", ie good quality Irish malt or grain "schnapps".

So, do we have three Irish distilleries now?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

It might make sense to start releasing "poiteen", ie good quality Irish malt or grain "schnapps".

So, do we have three Irish distilleries now?
    We have five.. Bushmills Midleton Cooley Kilbeggan and a brewer in Dingle that I believe has distilled. Three or four more on ts the way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Brockagh wrote: »
    We have five.. Bushmills Midleton Cooley Kilbeggan and a brewer in Dingle that I believe has distilled. Three or four more on ts the way.

That'd be the Porterhouse Distillery wouldn't it?

That hasn't started yet, but I think some guys involved with the original plans( not sure though) started a brewery instead and they may have also distilled some of their brew.

The Porterhouse guys will probably also build one. There's one for Belfast and plans for one in Donegal too.

I looked into starting one in Wicklow too, met customs with a friend to discuss things. I'd like to start one in Dublin. Dublin used to be the centre of whiskey distilling in the world and now has no distilleries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Thread of the day?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtW9_CyTwZuiYKdP-798OFd54SNeFrG_4OQO7K2wPs72vWbgRfJA

Seriously?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I looked into starting one in Wicklow too, met customs with a friend to discuss things. I'd like to start one in Dublin. Dublin used to be the centre of whiskey distilling in the world and now has no distilleries.

What sort of costs would be involved? I would imagine that even the smallest scale possible would require at least a million quid, considering that it would take at least 10 years before the place would be fully functioning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thread of the day?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtW9_CyTwZuiYKdP-798OFd54SNeFrG_4OQO7K2wPs72vWbgRfJA

Seriously?

Thread of the day is randomly picked by boards. It's not under anyone's control, nor is it up for discussion here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

What sort of costs would be involved? I would imagine that even the smallest scale possible would require at least a million quid, considering that it would take at least 10 years before the place would be fully functioning.
    i've heard €8m, but it sounded like a figure plucked out of the air.
    you'd need ten years to build a reputation.

Much less than that for a small-scale operation. You have to have stills of a minimum size, though. You can get a set of stills for about €50,000. Then there's the premises and the bond. Wasn't clear how much the bond would be. Licence was not that expensive. I think you could get a small, artisan distillery up and running for under 500k. No revenue for a while, unless you made white spirit for sale or beer too.

Maybe I'm way off. A brewery could install a set of stills and distill at their leisure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

We have five.. Bshmills Midleton Cooley Kilbeggan and a brewer in Dingle that I believe has distilled. Three or four more on ts the way.

Oh, how did I forget bush?!
    I thought kilbeggan was cooley and I wasn't counting dingle as they've not released.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Oh, how did I forget bush?!
    I thought kilbeggan was cooley and I wasn't counting dingle as they've not released.

Kilbeggan is Cooley, or to be more precise, was owned by Cooley which is now all owned by Beam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Here is what the local rag is saying about it http://www.tullamoretribune.ie/articles/news/26440/35m-euro-investment/ , and Killbegan is distilled in Cooley, Great news for the town, I've traveled all over the world and told people I'm from Tullamore and they recognised the name, now at least I can tell them that the whiskey is actually made in the town again

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

... and Killbegan is distilled in Cooley,

But the point is that Kilbeggan as a distillery is up and running again and they are distilling Single Malt and Pot Still there. So Cooley technically have 2 separate distillery's. Kilbeggan (or Locke's) Distillery & Riverstown Distillery.

Advertisement