Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regional work for 2nd year!

Options
  • 28-03-2012 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Arrived here about 3 weeks ago. Spent some time in Sydney then travelled up to Byron, Surfers and now in Brisbane two days.
    Myself and my boyfriend are starting to look into our regional work, would like to get it out of the way before we get settled.

We've checked gumtree and harvest trail and placed an ad on gumtree. We got a call last night from a livestock farmer in NW QLD. Mon-Fri 100 bucks a day and provide us with our own accomm and meat and eggs. So we'd just have to go into town on Saturdays to buy some shopping and if we liked we could get wi fi in as there is no mobile network out there. What do ye guys think of that? The farmer seemed decent enough and his wife rang me this morning (she's Irish, from Waterford) seemed like a decent woman too. They currently have an Irish couple working for them and they are set to leave the end of April, this is why they'd like us to start. They told us to think about it and get back to them.

I know it may be difficult but we'd like to try and earn as much as we can within those 3 months and save a nice bit of money so we can set ourselves up in an apartment etc when we leave.

Is there any other places we could try to look for jobs just to see if we have anymore options? Or does anyone have any advice/recommendations/info etc?

Thanks in advance, L :)!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

lippy11 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Arrived here about 3 weeks ago. Spent some time in Sydney then travelled up to Byron, Surfers and now in Brisbane two days.
    Myself and my boyfriend are starting to look into our regional work, would like to get it out of the way before we get settled.

We've checked gumtree and harvest trail and placed an ad on gumtree. We got a call last night from a livestock farmer in NW QLD. Mon-Fri 100 bucks a day and provide us with our own accomm and meat and eggs. So we'd just have to go into town on Saturdays to buy some shopping and if we liked we could get wi fi in as there is no mobile network out there. What do ye guys think of that? The farmer seemed decent enough and his wife rang me this morning (she's Irish, from Waterford) seemed like a decent woman too. They currently have an Irish couple working for them and they are set to leave the end of April, this is why they'd like us to start. They told us to think about it and get back to them.

I know it may be difficult but we'd like to try and earn as much as we can within those 3 months and save a nice bit of money so we can set ourselves up in an apartment etc when we leave.

Is there any other places we could try to look for jobs just to see if we have anymore options? Or does anyone have any advice/recommendations/info etc?

Thanks in advance, L :)!

I personally would take it. A bird in the hand and all that, you probably won't spend that much and having free meals and accommodation is a bonus.
    You won't really make any money doing farm work, $17 an hour ish - minus food accommodation, transport etc, does not leave you much.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lippy11

hussey wrote: »
    I personally would take it. A bird in the hand and all that, you probably won't spend that much and having free meals and accommodation is a bonus.
    You won't really make any money doing farm work, $17 an hour ish - minus food accommodation, transport etc, does not leave you much.

Thanks Hussey. I was thinking that myself, this place seems like a good option! Hard to refuse the free accomm and the least we'll be getting every week is 500 dollars so out of that I reckon we could save a decent amount considering all we will have to do is a bit of shopping at the weekends!
    Just would of liked a place we where could meet some more people rather than it just being the two of us..

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

lippy11 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

The farmer seemed decent enough and his wife rang me this morning (she's Irish, from Waterford) seemed like a decent woman too.
    hmm sounds pretty good :)
    id be intrested in something like this for next year nz for one year then ozz
    any chance of them having a email addy?
    im from waterford aswell might be a help lol

oh and is it cash in hand or ?
    they willing to sign ur forms for your regional work?

Advertisement