Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Build- Need Guidance

Options
  • 28-03-2012 5:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Ok so I post about building a HTPC a while ago but in the past few days i've decided to with the addition of a number of devices changed my mind to having more of a media server than a small HTPC.

Below is the build i have so far

Item|Price
    Intel Core i7-2600K Box, LGA1155|€266.88
    IN WIN BR665 Midi-Tower - black, mATX, ohne Netzteil|€59.05
    Corsair Hydro Series H60 (Sockel 775/1156/1366/AM2/AM2+/AM3/FM1)|€56.98
    MSI Z68MA-G43 (G3), Intel Z68, mATX, DDR3|€94.24
    8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 CL9|€38.01
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€534.15

Now this pc will be mainly used to transcode and stream video to maybe 2 devices simultaneous while watching either a movie or TV on another...would this system be ok for that?

Also I need a power supply that will be compatible with the above taking into account i will be adding a TV tuner card and prob bluray disc and at least one SSD and maybe 2 HDD's and maybe a GPU.

I'm gonna see how the Intel HD3000 does with the games i play then upgrade if i need to.

Could you suggest a GPU also.. I'm not a serious gamer but I would get more into PC gaming if I have the specs to do so.

Also i have included a liquid cooling..is this too much for my needs..could I get a cheaper aftermarket fan or even just use the stick fans in the case/cpu box, and would this change if i plan to over clock

I know I'm asking alot here but if you could even answer a portion i'd be grateful, ad much as i know about computers i'm not too experienced in building them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Craig B

Well if you want a decent GPU here's a good one I'm getting for a gaming rig, http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46795&agid=1004 it comes in at 147:79 and you can shave some money off the processor by getting this http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41224&agid=1617 because it can be overclocked to 4.8 ghz (with the right cooling of course), anything over that is pretty much little more power for more money which will bring your overall price to 603.84
    Then depending on your budget you should be able to get a good PSU, dont fork out on that, unfortunatley I cant recommend a PSU, so hopefully someone can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

your build is kind of all over the place, and it might be my hangover (sorry) and not you, but I can't really make out what youre looking for. fill out the questionnaire in my signature if you don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Craig B wrote: »
    Well if you want a decent GPU here's a good one I'm getting for a gaming rig, http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46795&agid=1004 it comes in at 147:79 and you can shave some money off the processor by getting this http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41224&agid=1617 because it can be overclocked to 4.8 ghz (with the right cooling of course), anything over that is pretty much little more power for more money which will bring your overall price to 603.84
    Then depending on your budget you should be able to get a good PSU, dont fork out on that, unfortunatley I cant recommend a PSU, so hopefully someone can do that.

Cheers I was thinking that gpu alright.
    The reason I'm going 2600k over 2500k is the quad core and hyper threading will help a lot in video transcoding. My budget is pretty.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    your build is kind of all over the place, and it might be my hangover (sorry) and not you, but I can't really make out what youre looking for. fill out the questionnaire in my signature if you don't mind.

I'll fill out the questionnaire in a post below

For tea_bag

1. What is your budget? 800 roughly

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Video transcoding encoding to multiple devices while watching movies and tv tuner, light browsing bit of gaming

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Have a HDD, mouse keyboard, tv for monitor will have a tuner card and optical drive

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No have basically everything I need

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? PayPal

9. When are you purchasing? Build is Mid next month but may purchase before

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Based in Wicklow

11. I dont have an a ubundance of space so that's why I went mATX to keep size down

It's gonna be used mainly for watching tv and movies in my room while allowing others in the house to access my tv and movies library on different devices.(so I will need to transcode the video to suit the device playback) Also I have quite a few dvd's blurays so planning on making digital copies of these

Then considering I'm getting a powerful CPU I'm gonna get a mid range GPU to get more into pc gaming.

The parts I mentioned above are what I'm thinking of buying I included the liquid cooling but thinking if a cheaper fan cooling would do Id prob go for that. If you have recommendations on changing aby of the above work away, and I need a GPU and PSU that I'm not sure about for my needs.

I know I'm being a kind of a pain in the ass sorry bout that bit what I'm thinking is I was gonna build a htpc for watching movies and tv n stuff originally but this was gonna cost like 500 then buy a media player for each other room. But it makes more sense to be to just have one device to transcode and stream content to all different devices considering I already have a LAN set up.

Well the GPU I recommended is pretty good for pc gaming, you wont be playing bf3 with everything on ultra (at least i dont think so) and I see why you want the 2600k but personally I think it's a tad overkill. Reason being that the 2500k is great high end preformance in a cheaper package, but thats just my opinion, wait for someone with more experiance to help you with that.

For a PSU I'd recommend something around 600-650w and thats a bit over, try get something like this http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=50920&agid=1629 try get someone to verify its good though,

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement

Well the GPU I recommended is pretty good for pc gaming, you wont be playing bf3 with everything on ultra (at least i dont think so) and I see why you want the 2600k but personally I think it's a tad overkill. Reason being that the 2500k is great high end preformance in a cheaper package, but thats just my opinion, wait for someone with more experiance to help you with that.

For a PSU I'd recommend something around 600-650w and thats a bit over, try get something like this http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=50920&agid=1629 try get someone to verify its good though,

Hope this helps!

I know the 2600k is over kill for gaming but this machine is mainly for encoding and quad core and hyper threading will be a big benefit..I currently have a laptop with an i5 560m and this struggles a bit with encoding bluray films. The gaming is only really something I'm getting back into considering i'm going to have a fairly high end system i might aswell just add a GPU and get back into it more..when pentium 4 was the big deal I used to game a bit had a top range GPU at the time ATI radeon (not sure the model) but I don't need to have the highest settings mid is fine with me.

thanks for the advice I just found the PSU calculator here

according to that i need at least a 480w so for a bit of room if i overclock or add more devices go for about 550w would that be ok?

gonna use this to see :D

U_Fig wrote: »
    I know the 2600k is over kill for gaming but this machine is mainly for encoding and quad core and hyper threading will be a big benefit..I currently have a laptop with an i5 560m and this struggles a bit with encoding bluray films. The gaming is only really something I'm getting back into considering i'm going to have a fairly high end system i might aswell just add a GPU and get back into it more..when pentium 4 was the big deal I used to game a bit had a top range GPU at the time ATI radeon (not sure the model) but I don't need to have the highest settings mid is fine with me.

thanks for the advice I just found the PSU calculator here

according to that i need at least a 480w so for a bit of room if i overclock or add more devices go for about 550w would that be ok?

gonna use this to see :D

550w should be great but make sure you get a good model,personnally am going to include this in my gaming build or you could go for this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

550w should be great but make sure you get a good model,personnally am going to include this in my gaming build
    That PSU isn't that great, Corsair are known for good quality components but this isn't exactly one of them, you might want to swap it out for something else.

ok, sorry for recomending a bad psu :O

Eboggles wrote: »
    That PSU isn't that great, Corsair are known for good quality components but this isn't exactly one of them, you might want to swap it out for something else.

So would you recommend the second one here

I've heard Seasonic are a good make.. I think I want to go for 80+ model aswell I've heard they're better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

This is the most recommended one due to its efficiency, actual wattage, reliability and near silent load levels. Its cheap too.

Eboggles wrote: »
    This is the most recommended one due to its efficiency, actual wattage, reliability and near silent load levels. Its cheap too.

thanks I'll prob go for this one so..

Advertisement