Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Boot Camp?

• 28-03-2012 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,

Is there such a thing in Ireland?
    Somewhere your dog goes for a couple of weeks to be retrained or have manners put back on them?

Basically for dogs that are out of control & need help.

Thanks,

Tilly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

IMO owners need to be trained just as much as dogs so while there are residental training places I don't think they are a good idea. Plus I've heard some bad things about a couple of them so if I were you I'd look for a good trainer and go to some classes with the dogs. You will learn so much!

If you give us your general location I'm sure someone will be able to recommend a good trainer in your area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

My mam sent my GSD pup (11months) to a boot camp in Meath for 2 weeks, it was 500euro and she said it was'nt worth the money but it did put a bit more manners on the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Tilly32

What was the name of it please...the place in Meath?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Please do not send your dog away to be trained and even more so to this place in Meath as it does not have a good reputation.

You need to attend classes with your dog and build a bond with him and work together at his training. You will get far more out of your dog by doing this than sending him away. God only knows what they do to the dog when you arent there, i would never ever do it to mine or recommend it to anyone.

Yeah, that place in Meath was one of the ones I was talking about.

Are you completely against going to classes with these dogs yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Tilly32

Ok.....thanks for your advice, I am just trying to look at my options......we have tried training classes & a behaviourist....things not getting any better...worse if I'm honest.

Have you used any trainers from here http://apdt.ie/ ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What kind of dog is it? Male, female, neutered? How much exercise is the dog getting everyday? How old is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

The thing about sending a dog anywhere to be trained is that when you get them back you have to be prepared to continue the work that was done at it. This may not be feasible for you, especially if the problem at the moment is that you can't exercise the dog. That said, are you in a catch 22-you can't exercise the dog because he's unmanageable....he's unmanageable because you can't exercise him.

The root is still weather you can handle him or not. By sending him away you may get back a trained dog...but trained for what purposes is anyones guess....but will YOU be any better for it. The dog will probably just be piss*d at you.

I know what you're going through as we had a similar problem a few years ago. Our GSD was an abused, out of control attack dog and very vicious towards others. (we didn't get him as a pup). We considered sending him 'away' but the vet was against it. She said he was too damaged.

Can you get a trainer to come to your house. It'd cost less and they's assess the entire situation. Has he/she been checked by the vet for any illness or behaviour problems, some vets are good at that, others not so much.

Advertisement