Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandybridge price drop?

Options
  • 28-03-2012 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭

With Ivybridge coming out soon and the benefits it has, do we reckon the Sandybridge will have a significant price drop afterwards?

Want to get a 2550k/mobo/ram upgrade and atm they're a bit pricey for my current budget.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Vicxas wrote: »
    With Ivybridge coming out soon and the benefits it has, do we reckon the Sandybridge will have a significant price drop afterwards?

Want to get a 2550k/mobo/ram upgrade and atm they're a bit pricey for my current budget.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you.. I think it depends shops will in general have a surplus of supply of these and when ivy ridge comes out they will more than likely drop the price to clear the stock.. However this could happen before the Release either look for deals..I think the latest is ivy ridge is set to come out in june ( I remember an article saying this) after originally being announced for April. I may be wrong in saying that but i think it depends on how long you are willing to wait..

If what I've been reading is true the ivy bridge CPUs will be retailing at a tad over sandybridge prices and if that's the case I'd imagine you'd see a fairly big drop after the release..tho again you may only see a small prIce drop as the benifit is meant to be verry little CPU wise with a lot more improvement in the integrated GPU

If you can afford to wait till ivy bridge comes out there will be a price drop just how much you'll have to wait n see

• Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Thats the plan, I just wondering if i should budget for the Ivybridge myself or get a really good sandybridge.

I heard early june for the release too. Hopefully Scan come out with a good upgrade bundle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

OP you want a 2500K not the 2550K ;)

I don't see them dropping much in price. I see ivy being sold alongside them at a premium until old stock is cleared, which wont be much either. these big retailers keep tight control of stock, theyre not new to the game, or updates at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Very unlikely there'll be a price drop (Intel prefers not to touch the base price of processors)

In fact, since Bulldozer, it has slowly crept up in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

a year ago the 2500Ks were €170!

don't see it dropping a pennie under that, if at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

2550k is not as good as 2500k?

I love how nearly all my pc components that I bought nearly a year ago cost more now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

2550k is not as good as 2500k?

I love how nearly all my pc components that I bought nearly a year ago cost more now
    They are pretty much the same, the 2550k have a slightly higher default clock speed, but I think most people will be able to manage a 0.1Ghz overclock :p

From Intel's website it says the 2550k doesn't have an integrated graphics chip, which seems strange to me :confused:
    http://ark.intel.com/compare/65647,52210

It's like the 2600k and the 2700k, stick a 0.1GHz OC on the chip and sell it for €20 more. People will pay the extra money and get the exact same CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i really dont see a point in waiting for ivy.

1. it wont push down the price that much to make it worth waiting. plus 2500k is such a good product and has a huge demand, that i cant see it go lower in price.

2. For gamers ( that CPU is mostly for us :p ) 2500k is already overkill and bullet prove for future.

3. i really dont even see a point of IVY now as sandy is more then enough for general need. the only advantage it will bring ( which i got proved i guess by lads in different thread) is hd4000 in i7 CPUs for laptops.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

i really dont see a point in waiting for ivy.

1. it wont push down the price that much to make it worth waiting. plus 2500k is such a good product and has a huge demand, that i cant see it go lower in price.

2. For gamers ( that CPU is mostly for us :p ) 2500k is already overkill and bullet prove for future.

3. i really dont even see a point of IVY now as sandy is more then enough for general need. the only advantage it will bring ( which i got proved i guess by lads in different thread) is hd4000 in i7 CPUs for laptops.

Yeah it looks like its going to be a great notebook/ultrabook chip because of the improved graphics and much lower TDPs, but it doesn't bring much to the desktop party above sandybridge.

Personally I'm still using a AMD 965 BE and I can see it handling pretty much any game just fine for another couple of years, so anyone with an i5-2500k is positively sorted in the medium term.

Advertisement