Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gootecks leaving fighting games/Cross Counter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Someone threw a stick at him :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I wonder what the real story behind this is- every interview I've ever seen with Gootecks he's seemed to want what he had with Cross Counter and complexity- fighting games as a job and as a growing business with fans all over the world.

I wonder if the grass wasn't greener when he got there.

Still, it's not good news, even if he was doing it to line his pockets ultimately I think he did a lot for fighting games, especially with getting casual players involved- the amount of youtube comments you'd see like "Mike Ross and Gootecks would own this guy" at one stage was impressive.

EDIT: Lots of people saying something bad happened at Final Round which might have led to this.

Could be a similar situation to what he did when they first started Excellent Adventures and all that stuff.

He'd been doing his website and the early bar fights for a good while then he took a break for a while and came back strong with the youtube shows and what not.

Could be that he feels he's gone as far as he can with Complexity and wants to take a break and come with something else. Equally it could be that he's just burned out on it all.

Whatever the reason I hope he does well, as Doom said he was always good for fighting games and he always came across as a genuine guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Pouched by MLG for huge money.....

you heard it here first :p

ayjayirl wrote: »
    Pouched by MLG for huge money.....

you heard it here first :p

And here we have *ad break* Ryan *ad break* "Gootecks" *ad break* Gut *ad break* ierrez *ad break*

@Doom : Where are you seeing the stuff about Final Round?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Orim wrote: »
    Someone threw a stick at him :pac:
    He saw that we have more dramatic stick-tossers in Ireland last weekend so he had to give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

I watched it live and my interpretation of it, seems that things in the background didn't seem to go the way he planned. At the end he had a long list of thanks, but he also had a big FUG YOU (which IMO seemed to be the main focus, although however he didn't mention any names).

Seems like a cool dude, that stoned commentary at Final Round was pretty epic, and I'm sure he'll be back when he has a new idea to make dat moneyz.

Orim wrote: »
    And here we have *ad break* Ryan *ad break* "Gootecks" *ad break* Gut *ad break* ierrez *ad break*

@Doom : Where are you seeing the stuff about Final Round?

I'll tell you if you win our sony xperia poll.

It looks like Orim beats J Wong! Wow, who would have believed that fubarduck?

*10 minutes of dubstep*

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/gootecks-quits-cross-counter-fgc.157541/page-2

(It's all hearsay btw, but it's fun to watch people speculate :) )
    Monkeyto wrote: »
    I watched it live and my interpretation of it, seems that things in the background didn't seem to go the way he planned. At the end he had a long list of thanks, but he also had a big FUG YOU (which IMO seemed to be the main focus, although however he didn't mention any names).

Seems like a cool dude, that stoned commentary at Final Round was pretty epic, and I'm sure he'll be back when he has a new idea to make dat moneyz.

I'd love to hear the truth from the horses mouthes as it were but I don't think we will, if it's business it'll probably remain behind closed doors.

MLG is not perhaps the most illogical potential reason here, isn't he supposed to be super good with video editing and the like?

I love the way Triforce is involved. That's brilliant.

I'd doubt we'll ever know the full facts but it does seem as if there is a whole of load of reasons. To summarise from the quick look I had :

- Gootecks being stoned while commentating at FR - Complextity got told and he got sacked
    - Some drama over him and Mike Ross trying to poach Perfectlengend from Empire Arcadia
    - Some drama over Mike Ross cutting deals without him

The key is that it's more FGC drama. #esports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

This news is almost as big as xinkai leaving the fgc

• Advertisement

bush wrote: »

No need to blow things out of proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

MLG Stream Sets a Dangerous Precedent
    HAV wrote:
    Yo.

It's over.

I think esports is the dumbest **** of all time, and it's all gonna blow up in everyone's faces... but there's zero reason to keep up some bull**** resistance. It's gonna happen. It's gonna explode and people are gonna get ****ed. Gootecks and Mike Ross will become enemies after one of them tries to **** over the other one, in an attempt to move over into Starcraft commentary after this whole fighting game fad dies.

It's all going to happen, and there's nothing anyone can do to stop it.

I was at MLG, and the only difference I see between MLG, and FGC tournaments, is just that MLG has accomplished the **** that the FGC heads are currently trying to do. It's just an evolved form of the same dumb ****. Of course, they have actual support from their game developers, and loads of other things going for them, but whatever.

MLG isn't the enemy. The enemy already controls the FGC, and has already sold out the soul for miniscule gains, and some idiotic pipe dream that they have no idea how to reach.
    bush wrote:
    Nah, it's as big as when he changed his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

ah poo,no more gootecks, no more funny laugh :(

will have try look up him on the mic stoned, what game was he commentating on? (only thing i watched from FR was mk)

whats trifroce getting invovled for?
    thats guys a idiot imo, he was calling the mk kommunity racist the other day because they gave him so much crap before MLG, if he was white he would of got the same because stuff he was coming out with was just dumb

id doubt it has anything to do with PL, even though the video of his conversation with ross/gootecks put on youtube recently, its from a year ago after PDP,
    dont care for PL much either, how foolish to think he'd come back and win MLG without playing the game for months,
    glad he got no were near the money and to get knocked out after getting 3-0ed by CDjr and babailitied by a 16 year old at his 1st offline tourney dont think he can call himself "mk world champion" because of 1 tourny he won nearly a year ago

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

bush wrote: »
    For you, the day Xinkai left fighting games was the most important day of your life. For me it was Tuesday. And every Tuesday after that.

will have try look up him on the mic stoned, what game was he commentating on? (only thing i watched from FR was mk)

Third Strike.

Personally I think he saw the Hypespotting stream and relised that Ramza has a far superior Urien so he rage quit.

http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky/b/310395339

To be fair he's clearly... very relaxed in the commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

just listened to 1st few mins there....yes very relaxed...very relaxed indeed.
    before seen the link u posted i tired search it on youtube and get this......

i always loved that "imma **** em up" line

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

Shame, I liked their youtube commentaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Sad to hear this to be honest. He had passion and did a lot for the community - was always willing to try something and produced a lot of good work. Cross Counter as a team was great and I really enjoyed the various shows they produced. Seemed like a decent enough guy too.

Will be interesting to hear if the full story ever comes out...

🤪

Just watched the final Gootecks cross counter there.

He actually doesn't say he's leaving the FGC. He doesn't even say he's leaving Cross Counter, although he is gone from complexity.

He says he's working on other areas. He did give a really genuine sounding **** YOU without naming names. He did say he's going on haitus though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Neeknak

According to Marn (don't know how credible that makes it) Skisonic was on the FU list for some reason or another. He could be just doing what he does best though.

Neeknak wrote: »
    According to Marn (don't know how credible that makes it) Skisonic was on the FU list for some reason or another. He could be just doing what he does best though.

A lot of people on the SRK thread were saying skisonic was instrumental in the drugs/commentary/firing thing.

But like you I would be loathe to trust Marn.

That's because of the whole being high thing at least from what I've read. Ski said that Gootecks was high and someone else said it to Complexity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

This kinda sucks to hear.

And if the whole ratting out thing turns out to be true, that's not cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Well this really is some sad news. I always look forward to CC stuff showing up in my sub box.

If it is true that he was forced out for some reason then that's quite a shame. Anyone can see it'd be counterproductive to get rid of that man. He seemed like a great worker for his community over the years, plus him and Mike accomplished a huge amount in such a short time with CC.

At least they ended it with one last Excellent Adventure, the only way to go out really. I'm seriously gonna miss that show. Glad I bought my t-shirt when I had the chance.

Good luck to him in his future endeavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Complexity are saying they didn't fire him and it was his choice, something personal probably came up and he needs to take a break for a bit.
    I'm sure he'll be back, he doesn't seem like the type of guy who could stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Just watched the final Gootecks cross counter there.

He actually doesn't say he's leaving the FGC. He doesn't even say he's leaving Cross Counter, although he is gone from complexity.

He says he's working on other areas. He did give a really genuine sounding **** YOU without naming names. He did say he's going on haitus though.

Aye.

Only other thing I spotted from watching it myself was him using the exact phrase ".... until this blows over"

Some serious accusations said here without evidence to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Some serious accusations said here without evidence to back it up.

Man those are some mad serious accusations.

EDIT: God that video gets annoying at the end. Lets turn off the sound so we can discuss everything in secret while you sit there!

• Advertisement

Watched the first two minutes and then I got bored. Absolute BS being spouted and looks like fishing for hits and moar drama. Seems like a bit jealousy as well.

But to throw my 2c in there, I believe that what's happening is that Gootecks secretly owned Eircom and was embezzling funds from Eircom to fund Samantha Brick's beauty regime. That's what the whole "waiting for things to blow over" means. It's the Eircom examinership alongside Samantha Brick being an internet phenomenon.

Advertisement