Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt collectors to collect household charge??

Options
  • 28-03-2012 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

I was watching Ireland AM this morning & they had some 'expert' on talking about the household charge. I'd heard most of it before but what caught my attention was when he said that the local authority has the responsibilty to collect the charge, but can then pass on any unpaid debts to a private debt collection agency. The likes of viper debt collection agency knocking on peoples doors? This whole mess may be about to get more interesting.

So, is this true? And if so, why haven't we heard this before now? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Hard to imagine its worth the cost on their part for the sake of recovering €100 to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

djimi wrote: »
    Hard to imagine its worth the cost on their part for the sake of recovering €100 to be honest.

For debt collectors - oh yeah. They don't case how much they need to get of ya, the charge will be same.

Where I came from debt collectors are pure assholes. There were some debts of less then 1eu, but debt collects would find it themselfs and pursue you for it, then make you pay 1eu + 150eu for for their work.
    I don't know what fees are in Ireland, but I know about them a lot, from my old country. If its anything like that, they won't care howuch you own, you will still pay for their work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

It's a crock of sh1t to attempt scare the bejesus out of people.

The councils do not have the means to collect the charge and the councils do not have the resourses to outsource debt collection for this charge to a third party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Sidetracker

In this modern day, Debts are not "outsourced", they are "sold" to debt collecting agencies. Once sold for a discounted figure, the council or card company etc, dont care what happens to the debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Zamboni wrote: »
    The councils do not have the resourses to outsource debt collection for this charge to a third party.

Resources? What resourses would they need to sell debt to a debt collection agency? Apart from a phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

How can they sell off the debt?
    They are not even sure who is liable. If they were they would have produced invoices.
    Even if they did sell of the debt and there was still mass non-compliance would would happen then?
    Do the Irish courts have the means to deal with this level of non-compliance?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭cyberblade 918c

scare tactics is all this is guys... as the deadlines are approaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Zamboni wrote: »
    Even if they did sell of the debt and there was still mass non-compliance would would happen then?

Mass knee-cappings?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In this modern day, Debts are not "outsourced", they are "sold" to debt collecting agencies. Once sold for a discounted figure, the council or card company etc, dont care what happens to the debt.
    Some debts are dealt with like this, not all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Debt collectors have no legal power to make you pay. They have no special powers beyond that of a private person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

well, i still aint paying

Advertisement