Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFC Playoff Picture

Options
  • 28-03-2012 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

AFC East
    Jets 11-0
    Bills 6-5

The Jets are the only team into the playoffs at this point having already won the division. The Bills current run of form puts them in contention for what is likely to be the 2nd wildcard spot.

AFC North
    Bengals 6-6
    Ravens 5-7

It is looking increasingly unlikely that a wildcard team will come from AFC North this season. Ravens @ Bengals in week 14 will be a hugely important game as neither team can count on a second place finish in the division getting them to the playoffs. A win for the Bengals would leave them needing just one win from their last 3 (Colts, Cardinals and Steelers) to clinch the division.

AFC South
    Colts 10-2
    Titans 8-4

The Colts can't shake off the Titans as both teams continue impressive runs. The runner-up in this division will most likely take a wildcard spot. These teams have already played each other twice (1-1) so unlike the AFC West and AFC North we have no "6 pointer" coming up.

AFC West
    Broncos 8-3
    Raiders 6-5
    Chargers 5-6

The Raiders and Broncos play each other in week 14 and (if the Broncos beat the Patriots this week) they will have an opportunity to take the division with 3 games remaining.

Key potential swing games as it looks now (mid way through week 13):

Ravens @ Bengals - week 14
    Raiders @ Broncos - week 14
    Colts @ Bengals - week 15
    Broncos @ Titans - week 16
    Titans @ Ravens - week 17
    Colts @ Bills - week 17

EDIT: added Chargers in. They still have slim chance but will face Jets, Bills and Raiders before the end of the season.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

My Colts have the CPU Saints up next, then 3 games against humans after that (Bengals, Texans and Bills) to finish the regular season. One more win should get me to the playoffs but I may need 3 to win the division and take the #2 seed.

Week 14 - Saints (4-7) look like a decent CPU team and have done well against some human opposition so far this season but I'd still expect to win that one.

Week 15 - After that should be a very motivated Bengals team who will be looking to clinch their own division and possibly get some revenge after the Colts beat the Bengals in the AFC Championship Game last season.

Week 16 - Then I've got the Texans who are on a poor run at the moment though Pudsy should be out for payback after our last game.

Week 17 - If the Colts lose any of the games above they may then need a win against the Bills who will probably be playing for a wildcard. The Bills may hope that the Colts have their division sewn up by then which may see them rest key players.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

McG wrote: »
    My Colts have the CPU Saints up next, then 3 games against humans after that (Bengals, Texans and Bills) to finish the regular season. One more win should get me to the playoffs but I may need 3 to win the division and take the #2 seed.

Week 14 - Saints (4-7) look like a decent CPU team and have done well against some human opposition so far this season but I'd still expect to win that one.

Week 15 - After that should be a very motivated Bengals team who will be looking to clinch their own division and possibly get some revenge after the Colts beat the Bengals in the AFC Championship Game last season.

Week 16 - Then I've got the Texans who are on a poor run at the moment though Pudsy should be out for payback after our last game.

Week 17 - If the Colts lose any of the games above they may then need a win against the Bills who will probably be playing for a wildcard. The Bills may hope that the Colts have their division sewn up by then which may see them rest key players.

You'll win the division McG and get 2nd seed, you'd need a big collapse for it not to happen.
    And even if it did you'd get a wildcard.
    Though.. if you lose against the Bengals and Bills and I win my remaining games who knows (someone else can do the tie break analysis!!).

Presuming you get 2nd seed.. it will mean we wont play each other in the wildcards anyway so i may have a chance of getting through.

Though with yourself and Berty waiting it wont be easy for anyone!

You'll win the division McG and get 2nd seed, you'd need a big collapse for it not to happen.

We've seen that happen before! I thought I had it wrapped up last season and ended up limping into a wildcard spot in week 17.

EDIT: actually I think I was 10-2 at this point last season too... finished at 11-5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Can't wait for next gameweek against the Bengals

A must win game :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

We've seen that happen before! I thought I had it wrapped up last season and ended up limping into a wildcard spot in week 17.

EDIT: actually I think I was 10-2 at this point last season too... finished at 11-5.

So there's hope :D

The Bengals and Bills games will be tough.
    2nd place in the AFC North is not going to get a wild card so Rob will know he'll have to win this or will be taking an early shower.

Similar situation with the Bills on the last game day.
    A loss for them could see them take an early bath.

I should win my 2 CPU games.
    The games against the Broncos and Ravens could go either way tbh

Titans are 5th in total offense (very surprising!)
    Broncos are 7th

Titans are 9th in defense
    Broncos are 14th in defense

So at this point I expect a wild card.. that may change after the Broncos game and could leave both myself and the Ravens hammering it out for a wild card (Titans) or division title (Ravens)

As always the Boards league is as exciting as ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Can't wait for next gameweek against the Bengals

A must win game :)

Massive game, must win for both teams.

If I lose, it could mean the division, as don't fancy my chances of beating Ravens record rest of the way with the Colts and Cardinals to play.

Massive game, must win for both teams.

If I lose, it could mean the division, as don't fancy my chances of beating Ravens record rest of the way with the Colts and Cardinals to play.

The Ravens loss to the Browns earlier this season could be the difference in settling this division.

A Ravens win would give each team a 6-7 record but the Bengals would still hold the tie breaker. Bengals probably do have a tougher final few games but not by much (Ravens have Titans, Browns and Jags)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

EDIT: added Chargers in. They still have slim chance but will face Jets, Bills and Raiders before the end of the season.

Thanks for the false hope :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

EA messed up this weeks Raiders game with the Chiefs (I don't know how they managed to fk up a human vs. CPU game but they did) and if the Raiders don't win the sim, game over for them. However the Chiefs suck. My offense should crucify them in the sim, but my fear is that my statistically weak defense could do badly against their offense, which is slightly statistically stronger.

If they can win that, I'm at 7-5 and have a tough run in:

Week 14 vs. Broncos: The Broncos are a very good team obviously, and if they executed in my territory they would have thrashed me last time (they won 15-14 with a last second FG), and that could be the case with Cody Hoppes emerging. I've gotten better too though so it will certainly be very interesting.

Week 15 vs. Bears: Very tough game of course, never played them so don't know what to expect.

Week 16 vs. Chargers: Do not let the 38-19 scoreline of the regular season game fool you. There's nothing between us and they really should have won that game, but I think you can all remember the controversy.

Week 17 vs. Packers: Even if they rest their starters it's an uphill battle.

I could need to win every game and even that might not get me into the playoffs.

AFC East
    Jets 12-0 (Divisional Champions)
    Bills 6-6

AFC North
    Bengals 6-6
    Ravens 5-7

AFC South
    Colts 11-2 (Colts have clinched playoff berth)
    Titans 8-5
    Jaguars 7-5

AFC West
    Broncos 10-3 (Divisional Champions)
    Raiders 7-6
    Chargers 5-7

EDIT: updated 19:15 on 31/3

• Advertisement

Who did the jags beat?

Who did the jags beat?

Chargers, Browns, Panthers, Steelers, Dolphins, Falcons and Buccaneers. They're on a 4 game winning streak since losing narrowly to the Colts.

They finish with Texans, Titans, Ravens and Texans again. There's a chance 3 AFC South teams will go to playoffs.

Ah stevo isn't around was wondering how they picked up the win

• Registered Users Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Chargers, Browns, Panthers, Steelers, Dolphins, Falcons and Buccaneers. They're on a 4 game winning streak since losing narrowly to the Colts.

They finish with Texans, Titans, Ravens and Texans again. There's a chance 3 AFC South teams will go to playoffs.

The Jags will make the playoffs over my dead body! :mad:

Raiders lose to the Broncos, so it's back in the Bills control. They should beat the Patriots and go ahead again. An interesting what-if: Had the Raiders not disastrously collapsed against the Bills earlier in the season, they would have a 3 game lead and the tiebreaker over the Bills. Instead they have a 1 game lead and the Bills have the tiebreaker.

Pudsy33 wrote: »

If it happened i think it would be the firs time the CPU has gotten to the play offs since i joined the franchise

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

If it happened i think it would be the firs time the CPU has gotten to the play offs since i joined the franchise

Broncos were cpu last year, think they were 8-8, typical AFC west

etloveslsd wrote: »
    Broncos were cpu last year, think they were 8-8, typical AFC west

So last year the west had no humans?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

matthew8 wrote: »
    So last year the west had no humans?

The Raiders were controlled but he left before the playoffs. Not sure about the start of the season though

Pudsy33 wrote: »

I can see the headline now:
    "Jags walk over weak Texans to make playoffs, annoy Raiders/Bills"

• Advertisement

matthew8 wrote: »
    I can see the headline now:
    "Jags walk over weak Texans to make playoffs, annoy Raiders/Bills"

Not sure comments like that will help or hurt your cause

Not sure comments like that will help or hurt your cause

Shut up and focus on your week 17 game.

AFC East
    Jets 12-0 (Divisional Champions)
    Bills 7-6

AFC North
    Bengals 6-7
    Ravens 6-7

AFC South
    Titans 8-5
    Jaguars 7-6

AFC West
    Raiders 7-6
    Chargers 6-7

The Bills keep themselves in the hunt with a vital win against the Patriots.

3 teams have clinched playoff berths so far (Jets, Broncos and Colts) but we probably won't see them take the foot off just yet as they still have seeding to play for.

Titans hold the lead in the race for a wildcard (could still take their division as unlikely as it is) but only have a single game lead over the Jaguars, Bills and Raiders. A Chargers win this week would see them in position to step up if a couple of those teams falter.

The Raven's win in this weeks big AFC North match leaving both teams with losing records with only 3 games to go. The Cardinals losing their head coach could be vitally important to the Bengals who probably (until that) had the slightly tougher final few games to play.

The Titans crazy hungover loss to the Steelers makes things a bit interesting!
    However.. the Titans will beat the Jags in the next game week.

Then the Broncos and Ravens.

Bengals/Titans wild card i think at this point.

The Titans crazy hungover loss to the Steelers makes things a bit interesting!
    However.. the Titans will beat the Jags in the next game week.

Then the Broncos and Ravens.

Bengals/Titans wild card i think at this point.

Bengals won't get wildcard, I expect they'll win their division.

Your Titan's should get one of the wildcards but hard to predict the other. A Jags win though in the next gameweek would make the wildcard hunt incredibly interesting, we'd have 4 or 5 teams with a chance at the 2 spots.

You'd better make sure you're in tip top condition for that game.

Bengals won't get wildcard, I expect they'll win their division.

Your Titan's should get one of the wildcards but hard to predict the other. A Jags win though in the next gameweek would make the wildcard hunt incredibly interesting, we'd have 4 or 5 teams with a chance at the 2 spots.

You'd better make sure you're in tip top condition for that game.

But they'll probably be the worst division winner so they'll play 5th place (wildcard)

The Jags will be dismantled by Best.. I will not be airing it out thats for sure!!

But they'll probably be the worst division winner so they'll play 5th place (wildcard)

Oh, yes. I thought you were saying that Bengals and Titans would be the 2 wildcard teams.

Wildcard round as it stands:
    Titans @ Bengals
    Bills/Jaguars/Raiders @ Broncos

Titans face: Jaguars, Broncos, Ravens. Looking at the other teams run ins, 1 win may be enough (2 almost certainly enough).
    Bills face: Chargers, Giants, Colts.
    Jaguars face: Titans, Ravens, Texans. Jags probably won't be able to keep pace with others
    Raiders face: Bears, Chargers, Packers.

I can see Bills and Raiders ending up with same record, not sure who has tiebreaker there.

The Chargers have games against both the Bills and Raiders and could force themselves into contention.

All that will change rapidly as we approach the end of the regular season. A Ravens win this week followed by a Jaguars win next week would leave us with 6 teams all with a good chance at 2 play off spots (and probably another 1 or 2 with an outside chance).

AFC East
    Jets 13-0 (Divisional Champions)
    Bills 7-6

AFC North
    Bengals 6-7
    Ravens 6-7

AFC South
    Titans 8-5
    Jaguars 7-6

AFC West
    Raiders 7-6
    Chargers 6-7

We've still got a wide open battle for the 2 wildcard spots though Titans should still be favourites to pick one up. Bills, Raiders, Jaguars and Chargers still all in play for a wildcard and the runner up in the AFC North still has a chance too. A change of coach at the Cardinals gives the Bengals the edge in taking the AFC North's automatic playoff spot.

Raiders beat the Bears so the Bills need to beat the Chargers to go back in the lead. Right now it looks like the only team I'll hold a tiebreaker against is the Chargers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭daflood

The plot thickens.....

Robs Bengals beat the Colts to keep the AFC North tight and it means that Colts and Broncos are both 11-3 and the playoff picture has gotten more difficult to figure.

Broncos have tough game against the Titans followed by an easy finish against the cpu Vikes (who have Mr Giselle though..)

Colts have to go to playoff hungry Bills in week 17.

Depending on who has the tiebreaker, this could go down to the wire.:pac::pac:

Advertisement