Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do we lack Sophistication ?

• 28-03-2012 10:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, so we're not as bally-go-backward as we used to be...but compared to our european cousins the english, the dutch, the french, the swedes we're still in some respects light years behind.

I mean that insular narrowminded parochial mentality still prevails in certain parts of the country which i find a real drag:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

fryup wrote: »
    Okay, so we're not as bally-go-backward as we used to be...but compared to our european cousins the english, the dutch, the french, the swedes we're still in some respects light years behind.

I mean that insular narrowminded parochial mentality still prevails in certain parts of the country which i find a real drag:(

that happens in a lot of other european countries... while their cities are fairly ahead alot of the country villages are not much different to ours. ever been to Devon or Norwich?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I mean that insular narrowminded parochial mentality still prevails in certain parts of the country which i find a real drag

That happens in every country. You need to travel more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I am happy to be 'Bally-go-backwards' Irish than 'Chavtastic' English tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Who, pray, are 'we', darling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Confab wrote: »
    That happens in every country. You need to travel more.
    +1

And by travel I don't mean go to Tenerife for a weeks pissup with 10 of the lads from ballymun..

Go experience other cultures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Our politics have been shameful over the last GAWD since the foundation of the state.

But since this government and the findings of the Mahon Tribunal were publicised I think thing will change.

Otherwise Ireland punches way above its weight, from literature, music, sport, our diaspora even our international presence.

Personally I would like to see the constitution rewritten or at least fundamentally reformed.

There are things I love about this country and I am proud of, but there are also things I hate about the place. I suppose that is a healthy attitude in a democracy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

That exists in every country when you go out into the boonies.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Lack of sophistication is what I love about Irish people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

CageWager wrote: »
    Lack of sophistication is what I love about Irish people

there's a back-handed compliment! We put the dick in sophisdickation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm a sophistication and you can too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Are you mad, the Dutch like to give the impression of being an open free society, but as a rule they are a moody, rude, insensitive bunch of pr1cks! Wouldn't p1ss on ya if you were on fire, they'd just keep on cycling by, and bring it up at one of their "birthdays" (a phenomenon I can't explain, you'd need to experience it). And they eat their veggies mashed up with potatoes like baby food...

If that's sophisticated, I'm happy to be a Paddy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I find the naiveté of the OP quite endearing.
    :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Some stuff can be cringey - e.g. politicians, but it's not worth it to get too bothered by what other nations think of us. Anyone with brains will realise the mucksavages don't represent us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

If we could reduce the gombeenery and greed and increase the sense of kinship i.e. thinking about what's good for the country and its people as a whole we'd be flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

If we could reduce the gombeenery and greed and increase the sense of kinship i.e. thinking about what's good for the country and its people as a whole we'd be flying.
    The voting system is set up to encourage gombeenery and clientelism, not sure if deliberately or accidentally, but that needs to change before anything else. +1000 on the new constitution by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Everyone wants a Gregory deal for their area
    The first item on the Gregory-Haughey deal is the provision of 500 jobs for unskilled workers in Dublin Corporation.
    article
    Jobs for the constituents

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

what are ya sayin we lack sophistication :confused:

sure listen to dis...

up there with sgt peppers begob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I think that much of what became the norm in the Celtic Tiger years lacked sophistication on a much grander scale than people who continued to live a more traditional lifestyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

44leto wrote: »
    Our politics have been shameful over the last GAWD since the foundation of the state.

But since this government and the findings of the Mahon Tribunal were publicised I think thing will change.

Otherwise Ireland punches way above its weight, from literature, music, sport, our diaspora even our international presence.

Personally I would like to see the constitution rewritten or at least fundamentally reformed.

There are things I love about this country and I am proud of, but there are also things I hate about the place. I suppose that is a healthy attitude in a democracy.
    Not really. You just make a bigger deal about it. The English has a huge diaspora too. So do many other countries. Only the Irish Republic seem to make a huge deal about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,510 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Lack of sophistication?

I nearly choked on my prawn sandwich upon reading that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Lack of sophistication?

I nearly choked on my Tesco Value prawn sandwich upon reading that
    FYP. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Not really. You just make a bigger deal about it. The English has a huge diaspora too. So do many other countries. Only the Irish Republic seem to make a huge deal about it.

But we don't, the opposite is true, we could make a hell of a lot of money from it. The Gaelteacht could be sold as an Irish return to your roots Blah Blah Blah. Israel do this all the time and look at their poke.

Also the Irish do not organise St Patricks parades worldwide our ex-pats do. A kind of strange fact about that is we never started the paddies day celebratory phenomenon, the Americans did, then it came here.
    I never seen a a Saint Georges day Google doodle every year but I see a Paddy's day one. We also have yearly access to the American President no other small nation does.

Make no doubt about it the Irish punch way above their weight in worldwide recognition. But I will give some Northern Irish Scots Protestant pride. Who was the first Irish american President. Load of "yee". But the real answer would be Woodrow Wilson, first generation irish.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=irish%20american%20presidents%20list&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FList_of_Irish_Americans&ei=SgJzT7q_NYiphAfS6-mlBQ&usg=AFQjCNGdWNxsQcfGSWrtkGNEdLeoxc_w6Q

44leto wrote: »
    But we don't, the opposite is true, we could make a hell of a lot of money from it. The Gaelteacht could be sold as an Irish return to your roots Blah Blah Blah. Israel do this all the time and look at their poke.

Also the Irish do not organise St Patricks parades worldwide our ex-pats do.

ya, but they're still irish of sorts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Define sophistication.

If you mean we're "lightyears" behind becoming smug, politically correct a**holes on high horses, who like sniffing wine, buying pointless, materialistic **** and who frown upon the traditional culture of the land, well then I'll gladly continue to come home drunk and bate the wife :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Define sophistication.

If you mean we're "lightyears" behind becoming smug, politically correct a**holes on high horses, who like sniffing wine, buying pointless, materialistic **** and who frown upon the traditional culture of the land, well then I'll gladly continue to come home drunk and bate the wife :D

you drink stella artois then i see ;)

as long as the catholic church and the GAA are the main social influences in this country then i'm afraid ireland will always be a wee bit backward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Are you mad, the Dutch like to give the impression of being an open free society, but as a rule they are a moody, rude, insensitive bunch of pr1cks! Wouldn't p1ss on ya if you were on fire, they'd just keep on cycling by, and bring it up at one of their "birthdays" (a phenomenon I can't explain, you'd need to experience it). And they eat their veggies mashed up with potatoes like baby food...

If that's sophisticated, I'm happy to be a Paddy!

This is true from my experience anyway. Just because there's a couple of cafe's you can legally buy a bit of weed doesn't mean that your life isn't restricted by the Power that Be, with the aid of your nosey neighbours in every way possible.
    MaxSteele wrote: »
    Define sophistication.

Sophistication is much overrated. Never mind the bull****, the wasting money on things you don't need to appear modern and with the times, the rat-race and one-upmanship. I prefer the more simple and relaxed way of life

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

*belches*

*scratches nuts*

*belches*

*scratches arse*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

sophistication is over rated didn't we all try to look great during the boom and look what that got us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

Lack sophistication??

I saw a man yesterday on College Green wearing a top hat.

A TOP HAT!

Advertisement