Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Circus (elephant in Cork)

• 28-03-2012 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

After seeing the video of the elephant in Blackpool yesterday it got me thinking on whether circuses should be operating anymore. The animal looked clearly distressed and if they had any sense they wouldn't have paraded the elephants through Blackpool Shopping area, it's a busy old place and of course would affect the animals.

I don' understand how these things operate anymore. There's obvious abuses in circuses (not all) but it's apparent.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

'cos it's a bleedin' circus......innit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

chin_grin wrote: »
    'cos it's a bleedin' circus......innit?

But like that's the thing. Is there a need for the circus anymore? The popularity back in the day was down to people never having the chance to see the animals in their lives. Nowadays though with the advent of internet and travel, does a person really need to go to the circus? The appeal has died down a lot because people are aware that animals are being abused (in some circuses) and understand the fact that it's pretty ****ty on the animals to be paraded around the place like tinfoil on a communion dress back in the '40s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Stop being caring and watch the damn clowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

aww i was hoping to see the elephant destroy stuff.... what a let down!!!

pandaboy wrote: »
    But like that's the thing. Is there a need for the circus anymore? The popularity back in the day was down to people never having the chance to see the animals in their lives. Nowadays though with the advent of internet and travel, does a person really need to go to the circus? The appeal has died down a lot because people are aware that animals are being abused (in some circuses) and understand the fact that it's pretty ****ty on the animals to be paraded around the place like tinfoil on a communion dress back in the '40s.

In a word: no.

In an elaborated reason for the word: reality tv.

In an explanation for reality tv: idiots watching it.

Well not really, just thought I'd get a cheap dig in at reality tv. G'wan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

How do you kill a circus?

Go straight for the juggler!

aww i was hoping to see the elephant destroy stuff.... what a let down!!!

I was expecting the same but it was fairly small to be honest. Heart jumped into my throat when I saw it run for the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I didn't know a panda could operate the internet :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Ghandee wrote: »
    How do you kill a circus?

Go straight for the juggler!

But the rot goes all the way to the Big Top!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Looks like he had a few on him:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Wtf is a Elephant doing in a car park in the first place?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Poor 'Fellah' just wanted a run when he saw a chance at freedom ..What a life ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Circuses are way out of modern times. Only even been to Cirque de Soleil, if that even counts as a circus. Never want to go to a crappy Foster's joke.

They are indeed. I saw the parade type thing they had in Waterford and it was horrible to look at. There's obviously an appeal if these things are still in operation but I just don't get it.

The only thing I have against Cirque du Soleil is the price, robbing fecks.

Pandas have lots of talents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

ollie1 wrote: »
    Wtf is a Elephant doing in a car park in the first place?

it's the latest hybrid from ford does 50miles per haybale

oil is just way too expensive now... back to horse n cart for most but those that liked suv's now go for elephants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Ah, that's where I parked my elephant...

-Funk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

brave handler getting between them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Assasin Elephant: An elephant never forgets ...

... to kill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

They're using bullhooks on him to try to control him

That's cruel, :( I do hope this circus burns to the ground with all the cruel people inside and all the poor animals on their way to a rescue facility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,362 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

ooooooooooooooooo...
    Nellie the elephant pack her trunk and
    said goodbye to the circus
    of she road with a trumety trump
    trump trump trump

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

They're using bullhooks on him to try to control him

That's cruel, :( I do hope this circus burns to the ground with all the cruel people inside and all the poor animals on their way to a rescue facility.

Actually, this elephant was a well known eater of babies. Total dick. Pisses all over the toilet seat too. You can imagine the mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

MarkR wrote: »
    Actually, this elephant was a well known eater of babies. Total dick. Pisses all over the toilet seat too. You can imagine the mess.

Don't care, the people made him that way.
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Oh Stampy, the hilarious hijinks you get involved in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Trying to get out of Cork. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭doxy

I was actually there yesterday when the poor thing was trying to flee, he looked really scared and unhappy. It's shocking that they still allow circuses to keep animals in this day and age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Another two years of recession and he'll be elephant stew and we'll all be gald to ate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

Riamfada wrote: »
    Assasin Elephant: An elephant never forgets ...

... to kill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Execution_by_elephant

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

its on liveline now

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PostHack

I assume this is the usual circus publicity stunt?? Animal "escapes" from the visting circus and ends up in the news.... Happens suspiciously often.... Disgraceful, prosecutions should follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

Cloverfield done cork style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I always like seeing an Elephant break from a circus, but pity it has to here. I thought circus animal acts were illegal, if not it should be.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Great comment on youtube.

"Give her some pyjamas and she'd fit in well with the rest of the elephants that hang around up there!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Disgusting that a circus is allowed to keep elephants or other large animals, maybe this will draw some attention to the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Andy!! wrote: »
    Great comment on youtube.

"Give her some pyjamas and she'd fit in well with the rest of the elephants that hang around up there!"

Thats out of order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

booboo88 wrote: »
    Thats out of order

Spot on, it's not fair to compare a innocent animal to all the fat yokes in pj's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

philstar wrote: »
    its on liveline now
    do they have a translator who speaks elephant telling joe what it's saying? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's crazy that circuses involving animals are still operating in 2012!

Apart from the animal rights issues, the Health and Safety Authority should investigate that incident. Someone, or even several people, could have been killed or badly injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Sounds like a concept album

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Now I have seen everything! ha

So did Nelly the Elephant go back to the Circus then!?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Poor thing overheard someone saying 'jungle is massive init' and thought he was near home.

I hate when a beautiful big creature like that is reduced to performing for idiot humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭NonSickle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDMyEHY6ELs&feature=related

Sorry dont know how to get the you tube clip to come up but this show's how a poor baby elephant is trained from a circus trainer himself and he even admits its brutal, its is hard watching for anyone and the use of bull hooks were used here and on the elephant in cork.

chin_grin wrote: »

That's this thread, is it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

with the advent of internet
    Victor Barry is that you?

doxy wrote: »
    I was actually there yesterday when the poor thing was trying to flee, he looked really scared and unhappy. It's shocking that they still allow circuses to keep animals in this day and age.

I completely agree. Though they may be kept to the best of animal standards, it's still not their natural environment. If a circus goes into debt and the animals, either auctioned or re-homed, are stuck in limbo.

eth0 wrote: »
    Victor Barry is that you?

I could only dream of being him. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

I completely agree. Though they may be kept to the best of animal standards, it's still not their natural environment. If a circus goes into debt and the animals, either auctioned or re-homed, are stuck in limbo.

Harsh on Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭NonSickle

NonSickle wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDMyEHY6ELs&feature=related

Sorry dont know how to get the you tube clip to come up but this show's how a poor baby elephant is trained from a circus trainer himself and he even admits its brutal, its is hard watching for anyone and the use of bull hooks were used here and on the elephant in cork.

Worth a look..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Solair wrote: »
    It's crazy that circuses involving animals are still operating in 2012!

Apart from the animal rights issues, the Health and Safety Authority should investigate that incident. Someone, or even several people, could have been killed or badly injured.

I feel the same way, the cruelty involved in training an Elephant to prance around a ring and stand up on it's hind legs is horrendous. It's not like Elephants are a curiosity from the heart of the dark continent which nobody has ever seen. We seen them in a host of fascinating wildlife documentaries, or Zoos which IMO are fine.

I would not attend or bring a child to a circus that involves animal acts, you might as well allow Bear baiting, dog fighting or cat burning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement