Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ormonde Bridge / River walk

Options
  • 28-03-2012 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

Anyone parked up at Ormonde bridge on the ring road and gone for a walk down along the river on that new walkway? What's it like? Can you cycle on it?

Seems to be getting popular.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Only seen it from the bridge, I don't think I'd fancy cycling it though, I was actually thinking of taking a stroll there this week.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

The walkway is quite narrow so I'm not sure if a bike would really fit comfortably. Apart from that it's nice. Lots of places to sit. It was very busy last Sunday which is nice to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Only seen it from the bridge, I don't think I'd fancy cycling it though, I was actually thinking of taking a stroll there this week.

Yeah I walked it a few weeks back, but started in at the tax office. The wooden walkway only extends from town to the ring-road, after that it's a forest/field path along the river. The walkway would be too narrow for a bike I think, you could cycle the forest path but it's not ideal for cycling either I'd imagine. It's really just a walked path through fields/forest.

It's a lovely walk though and a great asset to Kilkenny.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I've cycled the path on my mountain bike, the problem is that you need to lift the bike over gates every two minutes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The raised walkway are nice but it gets very busy at the weekend,

Its very very narrow to the point that even with two people passing its not very great, so cycling on it if you meet even one person is just going to be a pain, sure you could cycle on it but you wouldn't want to meet anyone.

I recently walked the river route up until it re-joins back into the fields with cattle, its not bad, liked the wooded area after the bridge and there's nobody else walking that end of the route either.

• Advertisement

Sunny day so I decided to walk it, it's grand but there's no way you'd be able to cycle past anyone. We walked down from Maudlin St. across the bridge and back down the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Im surprised the funkie junkies haven't taking over, hopefully it stays usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I was actually thinking of taking a stroll there this week.

Really?

Be sure and let us know the day and exact time.

Will you be alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Really?

Be sure and let us know the day and exact time.

Will you be alone?

You for real???? :eek:

Advertisement