Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United thread closed

Options
  • 27-03-2012 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

Apparently galway united closed down this morning

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055558537&page=102

This has come as quiet a shock to the many of us that follow the club and are looking forward to the remaining games in the u19 league and who are working hard to see a club re admitted to the loi.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

Apparently galway united closed down this morning

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055558537&page=102

This has come as quiet a shock to the many of us that follow the club and are looking forward to the remaining games in the u19 league and who are working hard to see a club re admitted to the loi.

Please stop, lets just get on with it and give all our support to SD Galway United

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

bensweeney wrote: »
    Please stop, lets just get on with it and give all our support to SD Galway United

What the hell is an sd galway united?

Also as an update to my earlier post Galway United next under19 game is this weekend (Sunday 2pm at East United fc) all support welcome. Despite Biko closing them down (without any link to back it up) they are still on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭chickencurry02

no such team as SD Galway united

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Biko,

Why are you banning Galway United discussions? Many of us who follow(ed) United use the Galway City forum all the time, but never use the Soccer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved these posts out of another thread since the discussion would have derailed the other one.

First a few questions
    There is a dedicated forum for all soccer related topics. What's wrong with using that?
    Is it because it's more moderated than Galway?
    Do you not want to apply for access to Soccer forum?
    Do you think your "insights" into soccer are more visible in the Galway forum?
    If you just don't want to use Soccer forum for some reason then perhaps this is the time to expand your forum list?

The soccer thread was fine initially but as it got longer things started to happen.
    Outsiders and non-supporters posted and this started causing work for me when people reported their posts.
    Discussion in not nice terms of individuals like managers or others linked to the team.
    People reporting each other for not agreeing on how to go about things/run the team/blah..
    Discussion on other soccer teams in the city.
    Suddenly Corinthians wanted their own thread because GUFC had one and I'm just waiting for other sports teams, including the local chess team, to want their threads because you got yours.

The difference is, the rugby thread hasn't caused any bother at all but for some reason the soccer threads always attract muppets.
    Muppets is very reason behind Soccer forum not being open to the public any more.

The "What's On?" thread can still be used to advertise the games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

biko wrote: »
    Moved these posts out of another thread since the discussion would have derailed the other one.

First a few questions
    There is a dedicated forum for all soccer related topics. What's wrong with using that?
    Is it because it's more moderated than Galway?
    Do you not want to apply for access to Soccer forum?
    Do you think your "insights" into soccer are more visible in the Galway forum?
    If you just don't want to use Soccer forum for some reason then perhaps this is the time to expand your forum list?

The soccer thread was fine initially but as it got longer things started to happen.
    Outsiders and non-supporters posted and this started causing work for me when people reported their posts.
    Discussion in not nice terms of individuals like managers or others linked to the team.
    People reporting each other for not agreeing on how to go about things/run the team/blah..
    Discussion on other soccer teams in the city.
    Suddenly Corinthians wanted their own thread because GUFC had one and I'm just waiting for other sports teams, including the local chess team, to want their threads because you got yours.

The difference is, the rugby thread hasn't caused any bother at all but for some reason the soccer threads always attract muppets.
    Muppets is very reason behind Soccer forum not being open to the public any more.

The "What's On?" thread can still be used to advertise the games.

Fair enough. I didn't think the debate was that bad and, just speaking for myself, I'm far more engaged with 'Galway City' threads than 'Soccer' threads.

I'm not against soccer per se but when it causes to jump at each other and there is already a forum on boards that caters for the very discussion you guys want then imo its better to use that.

I do understand the "I never visit Soccer forum but want to discuss soccer" sentiment but don't think it's good enough reason to have a thread here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Is there a whiff of "Traffic" from Galway United then Biko??? :p

Let's try to keep them separate but yeah.
    Traffic, soccer, occupy and local politics are issues that get people hot behind the collar for sure.
    What I'm trying to do is to cool this forum down a little by referring to speciality forums that won't attract the same type of postings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

What the hell is an sd galway united?

Also as an update to my earlier post Galway United next under19 game is this weekend (Sunday 2pm at East United fc) all support welcome. Despite Biko closing them down (without any link to back it up) they are still on the go.
    no such team as SD Galway united

Salthill Devon have agreed to register themselves as SD Galway in order to keep a representative Galway team (as opposed to two local ones) in the LOI. The original plan was that next year GU would be able to re apply for LOI status and SD Galway would revert to being to SD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

I echo the sentiments of the poster above who suggested all us former United fans throw our weight behind our new club, SD Galway. I'm just glad that someone was able to ensure that LOI football remained in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sword of light

I see the trolls are already here. It's a shame that the thread was locked, but if people can't keep their arguements civil then I can see the point. But at the same time, the thread was running a long time without much problems(I presume) and it seemed that while it probably didn't technically belong in Galway City in the first place, it had been there so long it would be a shame to move it now. How about a broader thread title to incorporate all the LOI teams from Galway, including the one that thinks it's the other one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

yeehaw wrote: »
    I echo the sentiments of the poster above who suggested all us former United fans throw our weight behind our new club, SD Galway. I'm just glad that someone was able to ensure that LOI football remained in the city.

The "problem" was that there was no representative team.

There was always going to be city soccer this year, regardless of what SD call themselves for the season. Your comment shows up the real problem in that people didn't associate MU & SD with Galway.

Ok "Galway United thread closed" closed.
    See yous in Soccer forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement