Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new sandstone patio

Options
  • 28-03-2012 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I need to put down a patio out back. I can get the slabs for 200 wholesale for an area that is 2 metres x 5. I saw an ad in the local paper for a guy that would do it for 595 in sandstone all materials supplied with labour. this seems pretty darn good to me as i was going to put down a deck in the same area but that was close to 2000. so my question is this. Will I be able to get a sandstone patio of that size for around 600 inclusive or should i but the materials myself and then get the labour in? I predict the materials should be 200 slabs and maybe 30 on sand and 30 on cement. not so sure about aggregate. so around 300 - 350 before labour. does this sound right? also half of the area mentioned above is already unevenly concreted so the sand would have to go directly on top of that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

anyone any idea of average price?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hi guys,

I need to put down a patio out back. I can get the slabs for 200 wholesale for an area that is 2 metres x 5. I saw an ad in the local paper for a guy that would do it for 595 in sandstone all materials supplied with labour. this seems pretty darn good to me as i was going to put down a deck in the same area but that was close to 2000. so my question is this. Will I be able to get a sandstone patio of that size for around 600 inclusive or should i but the materials myself and then get the labour in? I predict the materials should be 200 slabs and maybe 30 on sand and 30 on cement. not so sure about aggregate. so around 300 - 350 before labour. does this sound right? also half of the area mentioned above is already unevenly concreted so the sand would have to go directly on top of that.

That's a small area and laying on existing concrete base is no problem. Ensure that the sandstone is laid on a bed of mortar (Not pods of mortar). You should require a little less < 1 ton sand and c 5 bags cement (€ 25.00). €35.00/sq m would be a reasonable rate for larger areas with limited cutting but I think your requirements are basic and probably 1 size slab. Because area is so small, most likely to appeal to a handyman/1 man band. Make sure slabs are laid right way up, falls are uniform and joints are reasonably consistent and all joints are filled well with mortar, sealed and finished cleanly.

Plenty of suckers out there willing to take your money for a cheap price and provia de nasty finish. You'd be wise to see previous examples before deciding.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Zelkova

10 sw/m of paving ( Indian sandstone) €300
    Two tonnes of sand= €100
    Cement €80
    Labour= allow for €400
    You might not want to lay off the existing concrete unless you want your new levels 4 inches higher
    If so removal of concrete and some hardcore will have to be factored into the job

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Zelkova wrote: »
    Two tonnes of sand= €100
    Cement €80
    Labour= allow for €400
    You might not want to lay off the existing concrete unless you want your new levels 4 inches higher
    If so removal of concrete and some hardcore will have to be factored into the job

A good few builders providers sell building sand/mortar sand/plastering sand/sharp sand for around 30 euro per ton.

I got 2 tons delievered for 80 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Zelkova

paddy147 wrote: »
    Two tonnes of sand= €100
    Cement €80
    Labour= allow for €400

A good few builders providers sell building sand/mortar sand/plastering sand/sharp sand for around 30 euro per ton.

I got 2 tons delievered for 80 euro.

I was "estimating", prices are usually dearer in Dublin compared with same products in the country.
    Anyway, I don't think it'll be feasible to get the job done for under €600

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I was "estimating", prices are usually dearer in Dublin compared with same products in the country.
    Anyway, I don't think it'll be feasible to get the job done for under €600

80 euro is in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I am going to attempt this myself. I decided to go the whole hog and do the 21 square metres. I can get the slabs for 18 per square metre. so i take it i will need 2 tones of sand per 10 square metres so would i be ok with 4 tonnes? also I need 11 square metres hardcore and some edging stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Good luck with the job.

Was thinking of doing something like that size myself. Would appreciate it if you could keep us posted on your progress and post some before, during and after photos.

Advertisement