Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video game violence raises its ugly head again

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Hahahahaha. That's hilarious. He probably had the upper hand as a result of all the sharp edges.

Although I really don't see why they had to mention that he was dressed as a tetris block.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It's not a video gaming violence, it's just a psyco with a tetris suit. ( can't even imagine how it looks though ).
    I bet media will blow a freaking elephant out of this and blame gory, bloody game of tetris!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

It's not a video gaming violence, it's just a psyco with a tetris suit. ( can't even imagine how it looks though ).

Prob looks something like this

Tetris-Costumes_1.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That picture is really creepy :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

If the phenomenon of video-game violence inspiring real world violence actually existed, we'd have people being carjacked, dragon punched, & finished with babalities all the time.

The whole thing is just PC bolox

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    That picture is really creepy :(

Yer mans face? Yeah, I'll be having nightmares about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

EnterNow wrote: »
    If the phenomenon of video-game violence inspiring real world violence actually existed, we'd have people being carjacked, dragon punched, & finished with babalities all the time.

It's funny how they seem to think that doing something in a video game causes players to do it in real-life...but only if it's violent. If their premise is correct, then why aren't all Farmville players going out and raising sheep, and why wasn't there a massive upsurge in the demand for ocarina lessons circa 1998?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

How does this have anything to do with political correctness?

No, really, how? Or am I missing out on some joke that's too obvious to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Kinski wrote: »
    why wasn't there a massive upsurge in the demand for ocarina lessons circa 1998?

I looked at getting an ocarina recently :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Vegeta wrote: »
    I looked at getting an ocarina recently :o

Me too. I blame Link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

twinQuins wrote: »

I find its more mobile than ever.
    Covers many platforms

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

How do you even beat someone up while dressed as a Tetris block?
    :confused:
    That block at crotch level would push the victim away every time you tried to throw a punch.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    That block at crotch level would push the victim away every time you tried to throw a punch.

Never said in the article which block he was. Although for ease of movement and violent behaviour I'd say he was the line one....Typical troublemaking line.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

you have to be pro at tetris!

*i am not proud of this, sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Or it'd smash them right in the balls. When they're on the ground you could jump and land on top of them, which would be an apt finisher.

There's always one :p

Someone who picks up on you using a term incorrectly?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Hey lets not turn this into another PC vs Console flamewar :p

Someone who picks up on you using a term incorrectly?

The politically correct brigade, deem it not politically correct to have graphic violence, sex, drugs, nudity in games. To those inclined, it manifests in the real world equivalent of such things. Personally speaking, tighter parental control is far more apt, rather than just censoring games. But then again, you know, my mind is open to reason. I wasn't referring specifically to this Tetris case however.
    Political correctness (adjectivally, politically correct; both forms commonly abbreviated to PC) is a term which denotes language, ideas, policies, and behavior seen as seeking to minimize social and institutional offense in occupational, gender, racial, cultural, sexual orientation, certain other religions, beliefs or ideologies, disability, and age-related contexts, and, as purported by the term, doing so to an excessive extent.

Source

So to answer your question, no.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Hey lets not turn this into another PC vs Console flamewar :p

i-see-what-you-did-there.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

I wonder did the sing the Tetris theme tune while "performing a sneak attack" and dropping down from above.

It's be better if he missed; landed perfectly on some more tetris pieces and his legs dissolved away.
    (I'd actually quite like to play Tetris now...)

On a serious note; unnessecary behavious from a thug!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Rabies wrote: »
    Prob looks something like this

Tetris-Costumes_1.jpg

How could you possibly beat someone while while wearing that attire :confused:
    The mind boggles...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,128 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Maybe the other guy was dressed as one of those Z-shaped blocks. Who really likes them anyway?

Hmmm, you think Command and Conquer was big in Austria/Germany in the forties?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

So that's where all the red line ones are - off assaulting people.

🤪

The politically correct brigade, deem it not politically correct to have graphic violence, sex, drugs, nudity in games.

That's not what political correctness is... which you can see from the very definition you've posted.

Nothing in there about violence (in general, which is what I assume you mean), sex, drugs or nudity.

Political correctness isn't just a term to ignorantly hurl at everything you don't like. I'd like to think we can strive for a little more intellectual honesty than that.

That's not what political correctness is... which you can see from the very definition you've posted.

Nothing in there about violence (in general, which is what I assume you mean), sex, drugs or nudity.

Political correctness isn't just a term to ignorantly hurl at everything you don't like. I'd like to think we can strive for a little more intellectual honesty than that.
    Political correctness (adjectivally, politically correct; both forms commonly abbreviated to PC) is a term which denotes language, ideas, policies, and behavior seen as seeking to minimize social and institutional offense in occupational, gender, racial, cultural, sexual orientation, certain other religions, beliefs or ideologies, disability, and age-related contexts, and, as purported by the term, doing so to an excessive extent.

Violence isn't a form of behavior in your lexicon no? Anyway, the pc brigades definition of what is deemed acceptable or not, covers a vast swathe of wording...depending on the day & their mood of course.

Your not going to convince me, & I'm not going to convince you, so for the sake of the other users, we should prob get back OT :)

Violence isn't a form of behavior in your lexicon no?

This is taking pedantry to such a new high I have to believe I'm being wound up here. There is no way anyone could actually be this obtuse, I refuse to believe it.

Mod Edit: Abuse removed.

Yes, please, please ban me, I know I deserve it I just don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The dude in the yellow block costume on the right looks freakishly happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yes, please, please ban me, I know I deserve it I just don't care.

Nope, infraction first. Ban is next. Tone down the abuse please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sarky wrote: »
    The dude in the yellow block costume on the right looks freakishly happy.
    Have you worked out the penis metaphor in that costume yet?

Advertisement