Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog going Deaf

• 28-03-2012 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Our senior dog is going deaf, is it straight to the vet or does anybody have any suggestions for remedies? Dog is otherwise in good health

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

As you say it is a senior dog, I expect its just a natural effect of old age, but it would be worth getting the vet to check it out, just in case its something simple like a build up of ear wax, or mites etc.

If it is indeed deafness, then you just need to be a bit more careful, always keep the dog on a lead while out, as he/she won't be able to hear traffic or other dogs or people coming towards it etc. Be aware in the house, when opening and closing doors, and when you approach the dog, as you may startle it into an unexpected response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

My eldest is in the same situation but I really do think she has perfected the art of selective hearing :D

I have had her checked out whenever I have been in the Vets and she always gets the all clear on her ears. Just think time is taking its toll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

it's just natural just watch him though, I had a lovely german shepherd when i was growing up he used to jump over our back wall and make his way down to a field which was connected to the house by commanage and then he'd go for a walk and come back to the front door.we did put up fencing to try and stop him but he always managed to find a way to get out. anyways he started going blind deaf and got hit by a car and left for dead on our road. he was 18 though so he had a good long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

One of mine to totally deaf, he is a golden oldie too! He had some hearing, very loud noises were about all he could hear, when we first got him but now he hears nothing. Doesn't really make much of a difference to his life, sometimes frightens the crap out of us when he is totally still in his bed while all the others are running around when we come back from somewhere (:rolleyes:) but he doesn't notice. He has no recall (obviously), and cannot be let off the lead, and can get a fright if he doesn't realise you are coming but it doesn't stop him barking his fuzzy arse off when he wants something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

We have a foster lab aswell who is partially deaf. Also watch out when reversing you car incase he's behind it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement