Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mail.itnet.ie

Options
  • 28-03-2012 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed that this hasn been down quite a bit recently? Does anyone know what's causing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Hi Folks,

I have just finished posting a notice up on the main page.

Basically someone has decided it would be a good idea to run their spam through us and we have been battling back waves of brute force attacks against users accounts for a while. It ramped up last night again and is still on-going.

POP and IMAP access are still OK and it's only the web portal that is really suffering. So you can use the likes of Outlook express, Outlook, thunderbird etc. to connect.

We are putting together a plan to upgrade the hardware behind the service too.

Sorry for the outages but we are doing what we can while still trying to maintain some services.

It would be nice if some of our users did not use their username as their password!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Thank you for your very swift reply. I am waiting on a very important email, however i have a smart phone so i am just wondering if anyone knows the settings for this. It asks for things like is it smart or pop and also server names,

I wouldn really appreciate any advice.

You can set it up as pop or imap - use mail.itnet.ie for incoming and outgoing servers. Click the box to say the server required authentication on sending and your done!

Hope that helps
    ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Thank you for your very swift reply. I am waiting on a very important email, however i have a smart phone so i am just wondering if anyone knows the settings for this. It asks for things like is it smart or pop and also server names,

I wouldn really appreciate any advice.

Its asking for incoming and out going ports. Which are numbers. Thanks for all advice normally i wouldn't care its just im waiting on an important email.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I think the college needs to kick ass and force people to move over to the ittd.ie emails. Maybe use this as an excuse.
    Is it possible to transfer emails from itnet to ittd accounts? Coz I'd say thats probably the only reason people are relucatant to move.

• Advertisement

I tried to do that a while ago, but it'd seemed very difficult for graduates.

I tried to do that a while ago, but it'd seemed very difficult for graduates.

I have been trying to set up this email account on my iPhone it's not working. Can anyone please explain it me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I think the college needs to kick ass and force people to move over to the ittd.ie emails. Maybe use this as an excuse.
    Is it possible to transfer emails from itnet to ittd accounts? Coz I'd say thats probably the only reason people are relucatant to move.
    Alumni aren't able to use the new address so unless they put something in place then itnet mail will still be used by alumni.

Yeh that's what I thought, it seems unusual that they would not give everyone access to the new platform. Who actually looks after the the servers etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Ian1986

I have been trying to set up this email account on my iPhone it's not working. Can anyone please explain it me?

Ye I am trying the same trying to set it up on my iphone as IMAP and it just says that the server is not responding. I am going away next week and need my booking References. Is there any other way I can get access to my mail?

• Advertisement

Ian1986 wrote: »
    Ye I am trying the same trying to set it up on my iphone as IMAP and it just says that the server is not responding. I am going away next week and need my booking References. Is there any other way I can get access to my mail?

I have the exact same problem as you, I'm headed away and my flight and hotel bookings are there. I think I'll give them a call today if I get a chance.

Sorry Folks - Was away for a few days.

It looks like there has been some further problems. Let me work on this today and see what we can do.

For POP and IMAP the default ports are in use so you should not need to configure anything there unless it's having trouble contacting the server. I am looking into that now.

If you have an ittd account under options you can set up your ittd to stream in your itnet.ie E-Mail by adding the server in there. Same with hotmail and gmail I believe.

Sorry about this problem - it's the first in a long time and it's a biggie.

macrubicon wrote: »
    Sorry Folks - Was away for a few days.

It looks like there has been some further problems. Let me work on this today and see what we can do.

For POP and IMAP the default ports are in use so you should not need to configure anything there unless it's having trouble contacting the server. I am looking into that now.

If you have an ittd account under options you can set up your ittd to stream in your itnet.ie E-Mail by adding the server in there. Same with hotmail and gmail I believe.

Sorry about this problem - it's the first in a long time and it's a biggie.

Thank you for replying on here, you are right ive never had a problem with it before. Once it is back up and running I'll have it on my iPhone so these things shouldn't be an issue. Thanks again.

Thank you for replying on here, you are right ive never had a problem with it before. Once it is back up and running I'll have it on my iPhone so these things shouldn't be an issue. Thanks again.
    It seems to be working on my Iphone now. It pulled in all my mail and saved mail so i'm all good now. Thanks for your help macrubicon

Ian1986 wrote: »
    It seems to be working on my Iphone now. It pulled in all my mail and saved mail so i'm all good now. Thanks for your help macrubicon

What server and things did you use?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 NiThigim

Not working on iPad., looking for SSL credentials.

Don't seem to be able to ping or trace to mail.itnet.ie.

Great - services might be a little intermittent as we try things out but it should come through on the next poll.

What server and things did you use?
    IMAP account, Incoming mail server and outgoing mail server: mail.itnet.ie
    my username and password as i would use when logging in. I was getting that this morning when i tried that it wasn't responding but i just left it try to update and it did. macrubicon has said it may be intermittent so this may be why you have not been able to do it. Create the account and then open the mail app and just let it update.

NiThigim wrote: »
    Not working on iPad., looking for SSL credentials.

Don't seem to be able to ping or trace to mail.itnet.ie.

Turn off SSL for now.

Any credentials will be your login name and password.

Folks,

Services are restored - We will still be working on the system in the background so you may see the odd blip but aside from that we are back in action.

• Advertisement

Thaks for the update, I haven't been able to receive emails since Tuesday. Any idea when this will be back up? Thanks.

Wierd - I will have a look into that. I use an account on the system so see the up's and down's as well.

Yeah it seems strange, I can send them but if I send one from my work email or to myself I don't receive them. Thanks again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 NiThigim

Thank you, macrubicon, for your efforts.

I can get into my mail account now but have the same problem as ANXIOUS.
    Cant send or receive mail. lots of
    not authenticated
    in the undelivered header. Looks like you have REALLY tightened security!

NiThigim wrote: »
    Thank you, macrubicon, for your efforts.

I can get into my mail account now but have the same problem as ANXIOUS.
    Cant send or receive mail. lots of in the undelivered header. Looks like you have REALLY tightened security!

More that the system was rebuilt from the ground up and restored. Some default configurations are still going back into play. You should only have seen those undelivered for a brief time on Tuesday night ?

Sending mail seems fine for me a small delay, but nothing is coming in.

Ok - We have support back on it. Most likely it is a queue configuration for some containers...

macrubicon wrote: »
    Ok - We have support back on it. Most likely it is a queue configuration for some containers...

Ok - that should be everything we hope. Some serviced containers needed the config applied again. The mail was queued so you should have had it delivered yesterday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fishsticks

Hey guys, anyone know who I can contact for some support on my email.

I finally got access to my itnet email after probably a year and now when I login it just keeps loading as if there are loads of emails backed up to be read. I setup an IMAP configuration within Outlook and it only receives my oldest 10 or so emails. I have some accounts associated to this email and need to access my latest mail, how will I go about this?

• Advertisement

You can PM me, call to the helpdesk in the college, E-Mail the helpdesk in the college or ring the helpdesk in the college. :)

It is probably indexing your E-Mail if it has been unread for so long. PM me your X number and I will take a look.

Advertisement