Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to tell Rude Aggresive tenant to Leave

Options
  • 28-03-2012 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

So ill cut a long story short. Have a tenant in who can be a bit aggresive. I know he beat up his girlfriend on 2 occasions. Recently he has made some rude comments to me and also send me a text MEANT to be sent to his new girlfriend calling his landlord ie me a C"£T. He made a cock and bull story about it but its obvious who it was for. Like really obvious.
    In the last week
    I put on makeup during the day to go to shops (just a little btw) he sees me and stands there with a face and says "Oh going to the shops and you put on make-up tffph its not a fashion show ya know honey" (in quite a snide insincere way while winking at his girlfriend and other house mates who were in the room) I felt like such a fool and belittled.

My best friend came over with her new guy and again a comment was made. "Oh look she did herself up to meet your new boyfriend ha ha your some girl" Which I didnt, i brushed my hair as I was having guests! again my friend and boyfriend looked at me like Ehhh ok interesting whats this about

On top of that he owes me about 800 back rent so I have just had it. I have 2 other tennants also who are GREAT, Is there a tactful way to have this tenant leave? He is on rent allowance and rarely pays his bills. I left him a letter last night explaing I was not happy with some comments he had made in front of my friends and other tennants re my appearance and make-up and we would have to have a chat, as he is 6 foot 5 and quite intimidating i left a letter im only 5 foot. This morning I was in the kitchen and what i hoped for ie a quick chat to sort our problems when he came in he just brushed by me and ignored me. I said morning and he just made his coffee and walked out. So I think if thats going on in my own home, well i cant see it getting better in the future. any thoughts on how to tell him to leave without him getting nasty?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Sounds like you're an owner occupier and just renting out rooms in your house. If that's the case he has little or no rights and you can ask him to leave immediately.

I would have a large (preferably male) friend over and have them as your witness. Tell the tenant that they will have to move out, that their behaviour and the delay in rent is unacceptable. In theory you don't have to give them any notice but you might decide a week/fortnight/month is reasonable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Tell him he owes money and he must leave if he doesn't pay. Give him a week. After that wait till he is out. Change the lock on the front door and give keys to the other tenants. If he comes back and tries any violence call the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

You might be surprised if you just say "it isn't working out, I think its time you moved out - ok?"

What do you have in your contract about notice for him to leave? Also - how could his rent get to 800 unpaid!!!

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Snazzy_Chazzy

athtrasna wrote: »
    Sounds like you're an owner occupier and just renting out rooms in your house. If that's the case he has little or no rights and you can ask him to leave immediately.

I would have a large (preferably male) friend over and have them as your witness. Tell the tenant that they will have to move out, that their behaviour and the delay in rent is unacceptable. In theory you don't have to give them any notice but you might decide a week/fortnight/month is reasonable.

Yeah owner occupier in the 8 years of renting i have never asked anyone to leave.

Advertisement