Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starter Plane

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bonfirey2k6

No pictures of it yet Quandry but I do have a video of the first flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3k8jAv_dg

I think the balance is fine, it is at the spar that goes through the wing. I checked just now and it is at the thickest part of the wing also. The loops it did where down to my own reactions from over compensating.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Quandry

Good stuff! looks like a decent size.

It might be the video but it looks a little tail heavy, maybe worth shifting the CG a wee bit further forward and see if it's smoother. Otherwise putting in some exponential on the elevator or reducing the rates a bit might help.

Great job though and nice day for flying by the looks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It does look a little tail heavy alright. I usually put the CG further forward than what the plans would say as well.

Everything is as far forward as it can get. I added a few of the washers that it came with to the inside of the nose.

I'll give it another go later on, lets see how I get on.

Where is that your flying it?

• Advertisement

It is a farmers field near the house. I do not plan on flying there all the time. Will have to find somewhere better. It is good for now because the grass is nearly two foot high.

Had a flight today, it was better than yesterday, maybe the washers in the front helped or I had a better idea of what I was doing. It flew straight and level. It was going fine untill I managed to hit the one and only tree in the field. I think the plane was just that bit too far away from me. I may have gotten a little disorientated. The prop snapped in two but I think that happened on the ground. The wing has a euro sized piece missing on the front edge. It should be easily fixed. Other than that there was no other damage. It will see another day. I need more practice and more pactice. Hopefully next time the flight will last longer than a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Miamiheat

from a beginner to another: try to fly high although it may not seem reassuring at first it gives you the extra time you need to get out of trouble.
    Are you near the Phoenix park? you could come meet us there one evening and check out the planes we fly. (radian has been very good to me no crashes so far).

Robbie I have a WOT4 foam-e and no matter how careful I am it has the tendency to gets snagged on landing and the nose goes down. Props get broken, broke 3 motor shafts, the wheels are small. Anyways not the easiest thing.
    However, I was thinking flaps could help me out perhaps by slowing down the plane last minute and with a bit of up elevator try to keep the nose up. What do you think?
    I have been watching on youtube and managed to program the flaperons on dx6i but before i actually try it I wanted to get advice.
    cheers

Miamiheat wrote: »
    Robbie I have a WOT4 foam-e and no matter how careful I am it has the tendency to gets snagged on landing and the nose goes down. Props get broken, broke 3 motor shafts, the wheels are small. Anyways not the easiest thing.
    However, I was thinking flaps could help me out perhaps by slowing down the plane last minute and with a bit of up elevator try to keep the nose up. What do you think?
    I have been watching on youtube and managed to program the flaperons on dx6i but before i actually try it I wanted to get advice.
    cheers

Its just down to small wheels on ground thats not smooth enough for that size of wheels probably. Bigger wheels and maybe move them further forward if thats possible might help. The further in front of the CG the easier to avoid the tipping over.

You could kill the throttle just before landing to save props etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

hope you dont mind me posting here ,
    im looking to buy my first plane , somthing cheap and cheerfull , any info on where to buy online

• Advertisement

antocann wrote: »
    hope you dont mind me posting here ,
    im looking to buy my first plane , somthing cheap and cheerfull , any info on where to buy online

A few lads on this forum recommended the Parkzone Radian (not the PRO version): I have had it about 3 months and its very nice to learn on it. I am a beginner myself.

Where will you be flying?

A few lads on this forum recommended the Parkzone Radian (not the PRO version): I have had it about 3 months and its very nice to learn on it. I am a beginner myself.

Where will you be flying?

have you got a link to that one ?
    ill be flying it in the GAA field down the road from me , plenty of space their

have you got a link to that one ?
    ill be flying it in the GAA field down the road from me , plenty of space their

That is a link to just show you how it looks. http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=PKZ4700

I bought it from Sussex models in the UK, however a few days later I remember i saw it cheaper on another website, so my advice is shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Hi,I got the radian as my first plane and would recommend it but you will need some help flying it if you never flew before.

Another option if your in Dublin would be these planes for sale on adverts which seem to be great value and contain everything you need to fly..The cub would be a great flyer and easy to repair if you crashed and the seller also has plenty of spares with it. The planes also come with a simulator which would teach you to fly without worrying about crashing.

Any plane (except motorized gliders) that is not a "high wing" is not recommended for learning from the little experience I have. I would no go with the previous suggestion either because I see different radios, different types of battery packs, and that will just load you up with lots of different gear. Radian or similar, cub could be nice as well. With one radio that allows you to program a few models because if you are like most lads within a few weeks you will start buying more models and not necessarily more transmitters. You want to be dealing with models that use lipo batteries (unless you go nitro) of a size and capacity that you can use easily for other models. May sound confusing but you will quickly figure things out.

Yea id agree with miami`s post, I think you cant go wrong with a radian. It has a lipo battery, spektrum radio, brushless motor, and is easy to learn to fly with.

They are also good for attaching a camera.

The one you linked may be cheaper, but you will probably quit flying before you get started if you go for that, simply because it will be harder to learn to fly for a beginner, uses ni-mh battery, and a brushed motor, so wont have the ease of learning, or anything like the flight duration of a radian which is a powered glider. 30 minute flights are the average with that.

Lipo powered aircraft with brushless motors are the only way to go these days if going into electric power`d aircraft.

So if you really want to have a go at learning to fly a proper RC aircraft, the radian is a good one to start with in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Vertical

Hi all,

I recently got a radian and tried the diy approach to learning to fly today (I know, I know..).
    Result was a crash and a power wire broken off the ESC by the battery moving on impact.

I've repaired the damage and tested the motor operation.

I'm keen to try again, anyone in the Dublin area available to give me a few pointers tomorrow (Sunday)?
    I have a Futaba 6J transmitter if thats suitable to buddybox.

Thanks

Vertical wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recently got a radian and tried the diy approach to learning to fly today (I know, I know..).
    Result was a crash

I remember taking that route myself, in the field where the national aquatic centre is now, with the same result. It looks easier than it is.

Vertical wrote: »
    Hi all,

Result was a crash and a power wire broken off the ESC by the battery moving on impact.

I've repaired the damage and tested the motor operation.

I'm keen to try again, anyone in the Dublin area available to give me a few pointers tomorrow (Sunday)?
    I have a Futaba 6J transmitter if thats suitable to buddybox.

Thanks

Will probably fly today afternoon at the Phoenix park, but you need to be a member of the club to fly there. However if you just want to "watch" i can give you a few basic pointers with my own radian.

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Yea id agree with miami`s post, I think you cant go wrong with a radian. It has a lipo battery, spektrum radio, brushless motor, and is easy to learn to fly with.

They are also good for attaching a camera.

The one you linked may be cheaper, but you will probably quit flying before you get started if you go for that, simply because it will be harder to learn to fly for a beginner, uses ni-mh battery, and a brushed motor, so wont have the ease of learning, or anything like the flight duration of a radian which is a powered glider. 30 minute flights are the average with that.

Lipo powered aircraft with brushless motors are the only way to go these days if going into electric power`d aircraft.

So if you really want to have a go at learning to fly a proper RC aircraft, the radian is a good one to start with in my opinion.

What I did was ask the shop that sold me the Radian to upgrade the transmitter as the one provided can deal with one plane at a time. I paid a bit extra but now I have 3 models programmed on the transmitter plus the flight simulator so I still have 6 more models I could add to it. (mine is Spektrum DX6i).

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭seanmcgrath48

Will probably fly today afternoon at the Phoenix park, but you need to be a member of the club to fly there. However if you just want to "watch" i can give you a few basic pointers with my own radian.

If I was still in Dublin this weekend , I'd of joined you.:D..

Flying in Phoenix Park .

Sean.
    B.M.F.C

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

I've one of these for sale in Galway. I was told it is good for beginners but never got around to getting it off the ground. All controllers etc included with more extras...

dont suppose anyone arround roscommon, longford , has a cheap starter setup for sale ?

dont suppose anyone arround roscommon, longford , has a cheap starter setup for sale ?

You should look at the bixler from hobbyking. Cheap enough and seems a decent one.

ok so i just orders one of these little things to get me started , nuthin fancy , but was cheap :p

not happy :confused: plane was in mid air , started smoking , took a nose dive and is ****ed ,
    further inspection basicly shows the inside was as good as on fire

ouch sorry to hear that: cheap planes are equivalent to cheap components and cheap batteries: was this lipo battery?

ouch sorry to hear that: cheap planes are equivalent to cheap components and cheap batteries: was this lipo battery?
    would i be entitled to a refund on it ? dont even have it 12 hours lol

edit : battery stated is Ni-Mh

• Advertisement
Advertisement