Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athy-Kilcullen Roadworks

Options
  • 28-03-2012 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

There are pipes being laid on this road (R418) apparently and a small section is "closed off". The detour around this section that I take every morning is very long, going through Calverstown to eventually come back onto the R418. Every morning I see cars going into the closed off area of the road to an unknown destination. I wonder if they are just driving around the roadworks and skipping the detour. Anybody been doing this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I don't know about during the day as I don't travel it but I do drive along at night time and I go through the roadworks.

It's a small section of one lane traffic only at the moment and no light signals in place. It's easier at night as you can see any coming traffic with their headlights on. They have a pole with a bright light at this section. There's 2 other spots along the router where you have to go around if you're traveling in the Athy direction but it's a quick pull out and back in.

The one lane that is closed for a period of time is also in the Athy direction so if you are heading towards kilcullen, watch out for on coming traffic. As I said I haven't driven it during the day so there may be workers there who stop you or some such. At night time it's empty.

Also when you come to the end of the roadworks you must stop and give way to traffic coming from the detour. There's stop signs in place for this but just in case you don't see it. The detour route currently has right of way and some people won't be expecting traffic from the road work way.

Hope this helps.

I went through earlier today at 11:30 with workers there. Noone stopped and the only thing that caused a big delay was another driver who stopped to let all the traffic come through from the other side. We had the right of way and only had 3 cars total. The others were stopped and there was about 15 cars, but the driver let them all through. Would have made more sense for us to go through and then have the way clear for the other traffic to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

if you are actually travelling to from athy, kilcullen, use the M9 and come on or off at junction 3 the n78. its soo much safer, quicker and less stress on the vehicle. unless you are a learner or restricted from the motorway.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Yeah I usually use the M9 but sometimes need to go the old route cos it's longer to go around the M9 then back track up the kilcullen road.

Advertisement