Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Was just in the Pharmacy.....

• 28-03-2012 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭

I went in to buy a box of 'Panadol Extra' as I have a nasty headache, it contains Paracetamol and Caffeine.

As the lovely girl served me the pharmacist came down to me and said 'In future these will have to be on prescripton from my doctor'

I was quite taken aback and said I thought that was only for Solpadine etc.

She said 'No no, these will have to be put on prescripton in future'

I came away quite bemused about the whole thing!

Has anyone else heard of this!?!?

I'll also add I rarely buy anything from there although they do know me from getting my monthly script.

Madness!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Was the pharmacist saying that specifically YOU will need a prescription for them, or that in the future, everyone will?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Never heard of anything about that.

However, I can give you two magical words that will get you any pain killers without ever being quizzed by a pharmacist

ready?

Period Pain! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Then why are they still selling them in centra, dunnes etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

So just get paracetamol and a can of red bull. Sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Is she saying a law is being introduced that will require people to have a prescription or that you should've had a prescription but she'll let you off just this once?

If it's the former, be glad she warned you.
    If it's the latter then she either broke the law or is full of shit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

However, I can give you two magical words that will get you any pain killers without ever being quizzed by a pharmacist

ready?

Good one, must try that sometime.

"Ah hello good pharmacist, I have a Victorian pain in my leg..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭Wossack

ready?

ball ache, if you're male

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

when I worked in boots we had to send anyone looking to buy paracetemol to a seperate counter. Even if it was just a bottle of calpol. Madness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

ready?

that might work for women but if your a bloke i think they would know your bullsh1tting to them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Was the pharmacist saying that specifically YOU will need a prescription for them, or that in the future, everyone will?

I took it as specificaly me which is crazy, my friend is convinced the pharmacist thought I was someone else!

Also correct on the point that it's sold in supermarkets as well, a point I should have made. It's the soluble brand of it which I don't think is sold in supermarkets, not that it should matter.

Let me add again that Im not down there on a daily basis stacking up on painkillers!!

• Advertisement

that might work for women but if your a bloke i think they would know your bullsh1tting to them :D

If you say it with enough conviction she might just be convinced that you're a transsexual who just hasn't had the final operation yet!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Yep - the pharmacists are in bed with the doctors and the doctors are in bed with the gubberment.

They basically want to charge you €62 for a box of headache tabs.

that's €50 for a presciption from your doc + €12 for the tabs if that's how much they cost.

It's all just a big scam really.

they are no better than heroin dealers pushing heroin onto users, then charging them once they're hooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

One time when I used to work on the tills in a supermarket I had one couple buy about €800 worth of booze. Almost anything with alcohol you can think of, even mouthwash, they bought. Next person in line was a guy with two packets of paracetamol. Till flashed up on the screen that it was illegal to serve him. Too bad. It was for his own protection.

I was buying a box of feminax once and the (male) pharmacist grilled me for about 5 minutes. He said to me 'have you tried a hot water bottle and a dairy milk?'

Ffs he was lucky I didn't pull him over the counter and rip off his bollox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Are you a male or female phasers?

Anyway buy generic paracetamol... you can buy an ass load for the same price as the big brand alternative and its the same sh!t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

i just walk in holding my gums complaining of wisdom tooth ache :D suint your eyes and just lok like your in pain :)

works too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

phasers wrote: »
    I was buying a box of feminax once and the (male) pharmacist grilled me for about 5 minutes. He said to me 'have you tried a hot water bottle and a dairy milk?'

I thought you were a bloke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Your not the first one to say that, it came up in a couple of AH threads before.

I had that too, was trying to buy some neurofen women.

Guy goes "And is it really that bad?"

I almost castrated him then and there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Sky King wrote: »
    Are you a male or female phasers?

Telling people on the internet you're a woman is like telling your parents you're gay.

It starts with surprise and ends with a feeling of distrust and "I feel like I never knew you!".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Yep - the pharmacists are in bed with the doctors and the doctors are in bed with the gubberment.

that's €50 for a presciption from your doc + €12 for the tabs if that's how much they cost.

Wait till they get the dentists on board. We'll need a prescription for toothpaste!!:D

Fúcking scam artists the lot of them

everyone assumes I'm a guy for some reason, Obviously I give off some kind of manly aura online. Keeps the weirdos at bay at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

everyone assumes I'm a guy for some reason, Obviously I give off some kind of manly aura online. Keeps the weirdos at bay at least.

That, and your big adam's apple as well of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Your not the first one to say that, it came up in a couple of AH threads before.

Giggidy. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I reckon you were mistaken for someone who buys them all the time, op. I'm a pharmacist and I've had a kind of similar situation where I had a guy in buying them every second day for a few weeks for headache, finally convinced him of the existence of medicine overuse headaches and to stop using it. It would be stupidly irresponsible to know someone was suffering for constant headache for weeks on end and not get them to get it checked out. Either that or the pharmacist half caught sight of the shiny red box and assumed you were buying solpadeine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Too right, side effects from panadol extra include **** in public

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Too right, side effects from panadol extra include **** in public

Is this a case of "that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it"? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

pampootie wrote: »
    I reckon you were mistaken for someone who buys them all the time, op.

Ya, my friend said the same to me. It was quite a surreal encounter!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

so.......did you try the dairy milk and hot water bottle? :D It may not have to be a dairy milk specifically, could be a caramello, fruit & nut, picnic, turkish etc.

In my local Centra, if the till alerts that you cant buy 2 products, they will complete the sale for 1, then ring up the second item.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,141 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

He wouldn't have allowed you to do that without a prescription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

I was once in a queue for the Checkout in Dunnes and had Lemsip and Calpol in the Trolly. I thought I was going to get jumped by bloody security the way the checkout woman reacted. She basically accused me of being a suicide risk if she sold me the two together.

I know suicide is a serious issue but some gob****e in the department of health saw that there were cutbacks coming and decided to justify his/her pitiful existence by issuing this instruction. If you walk around any pharmacy or supermarket you will find endless tools and chemicals far better suited to the process than a couple of boxes of paracetamol. They might as well ban the sale of toasters with bath salts or washing lines with step ladders. This law does nothing to save lives and is just a half arsed attempt to be seen to tackle a serious problem in society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Wossack wrote: »
    ball ache, if you're male

Blue balls ....now that requires morphine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Clearly, you have no idea what PMS and period pains can do to a woman. I'm a dainty barely 5ft 6.61 stones midget but even my much bigger and heavier husband knows not to have any nasty remarks about the intensity of my pains and bad mood at those times cause I'd castrate him before he finishes the sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,141 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If the HSE had been around at the time of Moses, there would have only been 5 commandments because he would only have been allowed to take one tablet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

If you say it with enough conviction she might just be convinced that you're a transsexual who just hasn't had the final operation yet!

lol even if you did have the operation they dont give you a womb and ovaries YET maybe one day in the future it might work.... there has already been many sucessful womb transplants in women already.... some of which went on to have children.

when your done with yours you could sell it to a tranny to see if it works :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

lol :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I might be wrong about this but I thought the whole reason paracetamol specifically was chosen for the restricted sale in supermarkets etc was because after a suicide attempt its a while before your liver shuts down and there was lots of 'cry for help' type attempts that unfortunately ended with the person in question dying of liver failure days later. Can't find anything to back this up at the moment though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The whole situation is crazy

Situation 1: 2 bottles of your finest whisky my good man, i'm celebrating, today's dole day don't you know. No problem sir, might one be requiring a mixer this fine afternoon?

Situation 2: A box of solpadeine please, back is acting up again. Get out of my shop you vile fiend!
    Ok, just give me 2 packs of paracetemol then. Now now,suicide is hardly the answer, think of the wife and kiddies wont you. tut tut tut!

What fúck wit thought this one up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

pampootie wrote: »
    I might be wrong about this but I thought the whole reason paracetamol specifically was chosen for the restricted sale in supermarkets etc was because after a suicide attempt its a while before your liver shuts down and there was lots of 'cry for help' type attempts that unfortunately ended with the person in question dying of liver failure days later. Can't find anything to back this up at the moment though.

There is possibly some truth to that. In fact taking way, way too much while you are feeling ill can have worse results than a suicide attempt. As the sooner the antidote is given the more successful it is. Putting your liver under pressure for days and days before it fails makes it less likely to recover. Also liver damage can be asymptomatic for quite a while so you have no idea that you are in desperately in need of medical intervention even though you are. Your best bet if that happens is that the liver failure puts the kidneys under pressure as you are more likely to feel the symptoms of the kidney problems and seek help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Smack Head!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

touts wrote: »
    I was once in a queue for the Checkout in Dunnes and had Lemsip and Calpol in the Trolly. I thought I was going to get jumped by bloody security the way the checkout woman reacted. She basically accused me of being a suicide risk if she sold me the two together.

I know suicide is a serious issue but some gob****e in the department of health saw that there were cutbacks coming and decided to justify his/her pitiful existence by issuing this instruction. If you walk around any pharmacy or supermarket you will find endless tools and chemicals far better suited to the process than a couple of boxes of paracetamol. They might as well ban the sale of toasters with bath salts or washing lines with step ladders. This law does nothing to save lives and is just a half arsed attempt to be seen to tackle a serious problem in society.
    Yea the razors you shave your legs with(or wherever) couldnt be used as a suicide attempt.

The whole situation is crazy

Situation 1: 2 bottles of your finest whisky my good man, i'm celebrating, today's dole day don't you know. No problem sir, might one be requiring a mixer this fine afternoon?

Situation 2: A box of solpadeine please, back is acting up again. Get out of my shop you vile fiend!
    Ok, just give me 2 packs of paracetemol then. Now now,suicide is hardly the answer, think of the wife and kiddies wont you. tut tut tut!

What fúck wit thought this one up!!
    Sadly very true:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The issue with paracetamol is from a suicide risk?

First I heard of that. Knew about liver problems if used over the maximum dosage though.

also,

As mentioned by someone earlier, with a shop doing 2 sales, there's nothing to stop you walking from 1 shop/pharmacy into another.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭secrecy_ie

they are no better than heroin dealers pushing heroin onto users, then charging them once they're hooked.

If you're a regular migraine sufferer it gets worse. I have to pay 60 quid to see my doctor for my migraine tabs (prescription only) - one pack of 6 tablets costs me over 50 quid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Where the hell are you getting those figures? You just plucked €12 out of the air.

There is no way that basic paracetamol products like this will be made POM. Although it's easier to go off in a rant against doctors and pharmacists than to answer the question posted in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

In the chemist I go to they ask ya to fill out a form if you you want to buy solpadeine, just put down ya have back pain! works everytime and the form is good for a month so you dont have to keep filling it out!! :p their not as sympatheic if you say its period pain!! f***ers!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

bleg wrote: »
    Where the hell are you getting those figures? You just plucked €12 out of the air.

There is no way that basic paracetamol products like this will be made POM. Although it's easier to go off in a rant against doctors and pharmacists than to answer the question posted in the thread.

Do you not see my point or would you prefer exact figures. I like to round everything off like a pair of t!ts.

Doctors visit ( depending on where you go )
    roughly €50

tabs 12 or 24 packs, we'll go with a 24 pack.
    how much anyone know, I'm not arsed googling the exact cost for Bleg so I said €12

Jeez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

There's no way they'll relegate paracetamol containing products to Rx-only. That'd be akin to completely discouraging self-medication which just doesn't make sense.

That said... the PSI are proposing that codeine-containing products (And many other medicines) should be relegated to a new class of pharmacist-prescribed medicines. To be honest, there are many conditions where a quick clinical evaluation by the pharmacist would be more than sufficient. Over in the UK, people can go directly to their pharmacist for certain conditions. It'd save patient's time and money and make medicines more accessible for those who need them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

haminka wrote: »
    Clearly, you have no idea what PMS and period pains can do to a woman.

I don't and to be honest, I don't really care.

Advertisement