Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFC Playoff Picture

Options
  • 28-03-2012 12:51pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭

After the excellent post on the AFC side of things lets have a look at the NFC:

Currently:

NFC North:

Packers 10-2
    Bears 8-4

Lions 6-6

NFC East:

Cowboys 7-4
    Eagles 7-4
    Giants 5-6

NFC South:

Buccs 7-4
    Falcons 5-7

NFC West:

Cardinals 11-0
    49ers 9-3

Key Games Remaining:

Week 13:
    Giants @ Eagles

Week 14:

Eagles @ Cardinals
    49ers @ Cowboys
    Falcons @ Buccs

Week 15:

Packers @ Buccs
    Giants @ Lions

Week 16:

Cowboys @ Eagles
    Packers @ Lions

Week 17:

Giants @ 49ers
    Lions @ Bears

Analysis:

Teams in bold above are currently in a wild card spot. I think the absolute minimum for a wildcard is likely to be 10-6, though possibly 11-5 will be needed. I've included Atlanta as they could still win the division.

The East is the most interesting, its a 3-way shoot out though the giants have a bit of work to do to catch up. IT doesn't look like there is a wildcard team in this division though its not impossible.

In the North the Packers are a virtual certainty to make the playoffs with the bears looking good for a wild card spot. The Lions need to win out and hope that other results go their way.

In the South it looks like Tampa Bay are heading for the division win though if the falcons beat them in week 14 the race for the division is still on.

In the West the cardinals will win the division and should claim the number 1 seed with the 49ers looking good for a wildcard spot.

In the end it may come down to who comes up against teams that are resting players in the last few weeks.

Predictions:

1st Cardinals
    2nd Packers
    3rd Eagles
    4th Tampa
    5th 49ers
    6th Cowboys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

I was hoping someone would do the NFC too.

Things look a little more clear cut in the NFC with the 49ers and Bears looking good for the two wildcard spots.

As mentioned the East is providing a great battle for what is very likely to be only one playoff spot but the other 3 divisions are close to be set in stone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well the Bears are only one game ahead of the Eagles/Cowboys, what's great about the east is that the 3 teams still have to play each other a good bit too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well the Bears are only one game ahead of the Eagles/Cowboys, what's great about the east is that the 3 teams still have to play each other a good bit too...

that's also going to help the Bears seal the wildcard spot, can't see two East teams picking up enough wins to pass the Bears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

I agree with Mcg, the nfc east play each other to much and I can see Paddy winning at least 2 more games.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Big win for the Cowboys tonight who go 9-4 at the top of the NFC East with the Eagles in second place with a record of 7-5.

Bad news for me with the Cardinal's HC having to step down for a couple of weeks as I would have expected him (12-0) to beat the Eagles this week but Rizzo should beat the CPU leaving him on 8-5 and still to play me.

Remaining games:

Cowboys:

CPU Patriots (4-8)
    Eagles (7-5)
    Redskins (4-9)

Eagles:

CPU Cardinals (12-0)
    Jets (12-0)
    Cowboys (9-4)
    CPU Seahawks (6-7)

My predictions are that I'll beat the CPU Patriots, lose to the Eagles (already have once this season) and beat the Redskins.

I predict the Eagles win 3 and lose to Berty's Jets giving them a record of 10-6.

Final standings prediction - Cowboys 11-5, Eagles 10-6.

• Advertisement

NFC East and Wildcard Spots Update:

Cowboys beat Patriots and Jets beat Eagles, so the East currently looks like this at the top:

Cowboys 10-4
    Eagles 8-6

However, massive game next gameweek as the Cowboys face the Eagles (who have the tiebreaker). A win would see Dallas clinch the division, but a loss and the pressure is on against the Redskins in week 17 as I'd need a win there to take the division.

The main thing to consider I suppose is that it's now in the Cowboys hands and they have two chances to seal the division, so I can't really have any complaints if I mess it up (which is very possible with 2 tough games).

There may be more than one NFC East team getting playoff football though, as the Bears lost to the Raiders today and go 9-5. The 49ers will probably have the first NFC wildcard sealed now with a 10-4 record, but you never know in Madden.

Important remaining games:

NFC East:

Week 16 - Cowboys V Eagles
    Week 17 - Cowboys V Redskins; Eagles V Seahawks

Games apart from the above that may affect Wildcard Spots:

Week 16 - Bears V Redskins; Rams V 49ers
    Week 17 - Bears V Lions; 49ers V Giants

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Raoul

Paully d, i think if i beat the packers next week it sets me up with a game against the bears where the winner of that gets the playoff spot. So unless me and the bears lose next week, i dont think the eagles can get a wildcard spot. So they have to try and win the division.

I could be wrong though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Right, this is to get rid of the confusion going into the last two games of the regular season.

As it stands:

1. Cardinals (12-1)
    2. Packers (12-2)
    3. Cowboys (10-4)
    4. Buccaneers (7-7)
    5. 49ers (10-4)
    6. Bears (9-5)

In the hunt:
    Lions (8-6), Eagles (8-6), Falcons (6-7)

Remaining Games:

Cardinals: PIT, CIN, STL
    Packers: DET, OAK
    Cowboys: PHI, WAS
    Buccaneers: NO, CAR
    49ers: STL, NYG
    Bears: WAS, DET

Lions: GB, CHI
    Eagles: DAL, SEA
    Falcons: NO, CAR, NO

One more win for the Bears and they will make the play offs by my reckoning. With a win from their last two games, they will have an 8-3 conference record, something that neither the Lions or the Eagles can get to.

Edit: 49ers are in play offs due to wins over both the Lions and Eagles.

My prediction is:

1. Packers :p
    2. Cardinals
    3. Cowboys
    4. Falcons
    5. 49ers
    6. Bears

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So am I in the playoffs already then?

The best the lions or eagles can do is 10 wins and I hold head to head tiebreakers over both.

• Advertisement

I don't think you are because if the Eagles win their division and the Cowboys finish in the wildcard spot and the Bears finish in the wildcard spot, you would miss out.

So just not yet, if I am correct. One more win for you, or one win from the Cowboys or one loss from Eagles.

NFC Playoffs:

The playoof picture is getting clearer

NFC North

Green Bay will advance to the playoffs and get a first round bye

NFC East

The cowboys need 1 more win or an eagles loss to take the division
    The eagles need to win both their remaining games and hope the cowboys lose theirs.

The cowboys and eagles face off in week 16.

NFC South:

The falcons are 7-8 with 1 game to go. The CPU Buccs are 7-7. It's in the lap of the cpu gods for the falcons as if the bucs win their 2 cpu v cpu games they will advance as division winners.

NFC West:

The Cardinals will advance to the playoffs as division winners and will have a first round bye.

Wildcards:

The 49ers will advance to the playoffs as the number 5 seed.

The other wildcard spot remains up for grabs with any of the following teams in with a chance:

Bears (9-6), Lions (9-6), Cowboys (10-4), Eagles (8-6)

Bears play Lions in Week 17, while the cowboys play the eagles in week 16 and in week 17 both the eagles and cowboys have human v human games.

Currently

1. Cardinals
    2. Packers
    3. Cowboys
    4. Buccs
    5. 49ers
    6. Bears

Can the Eagles or the Cowboys get a wildcard spot? Do they not have to win their division to get through?

I'm not sure to be honest, it is possible to have 3 teams on 10-6 (Cowboys, eagles and whoever wins your game) in that scenario I'd have to dig out the NFL rulebook on tie breakers. I think the first tie breaker would be conference record, so don't know who comes out on top there.

Edit, in that scenario the eages would win the division so it would be slightly simpler (maybe head to head or common opponents??))

I think Eagles the Eagle have to win the division to get through as their conference record isn't as good as me and Paddy.

If the Eagles win the division and I win then Cowboys and Lions, we will have the same conference record. We haven't played head to head. So it will be down to common games, don't think we have enough, so then it will come down to strength of schedule, where I think I might edge him

If the Bears win they are through.

If the Eagles lose then it is a straight shoot out between me and the Bears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

so the playoffs start next week for the loins and bears should be a good game i maybe wrong but i think there has only been one score in all our games so i know you won the second game last season with an ot feild goal

Yeah its a habit of mine having really close games. Usually lose them but stopped that habit today.

I am mad to get this played asap. Think I had the same game with Dave before where he beat me on the last day of the season to put me out of the playoffs.

Cowboys beat the Eagles 32-17 to seal the NFC East and a playoff spot.

Updated

NFC Playoffs:

The playoff picture is getting clearer

NFC North

Green Bay will advance to the playoffs and get a first round bye

NFC East

The cowboys win the division and will advance to the playoffs.

NFC South:

The falcons are 7-8 with 1 game to go. The CPU Buccs are 7-7. It's in the lap of the cpu gods for the falcons as if the bucs win their 2 cpu v cpu games they will advance as division winners.

NFC West:

The Cardinals will advance to the playoffs as division winners and will have a first round bye.

Wildcards:

The other wildcard spot remains up for grabs.

Bears (9-6), Lions (9-6),

Bears play Lions in Week 17 with winner advancing to the playoffs as the number 6 seed.

Currently

1. Cardinals
    2. Packers
    3. Cowboys
    4. Buccs
    5. 49ers
    6. Bears

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

Paully D wrote: »
    Cowboys beat the Eagles 32-17 to seal the NFC East and a playoff spot.

Congrats, Jerry must be happy!!

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    Currently

1. Cardinals
    2. Packers
    3. Cowboys
    4. Buccs
    5. 49ers
    6. Bears

What way do the playoffs work then? Is it the 1st two seeds get a bye and then 3rd plays 6th and 4th plays 5th?
    etloveslsd wrote: »
    Congrats, Jerry must be happy!!

Cheers mate. Delighted considering when I joined I thought I'd be lucky to pick up a few CPU wins and that would be it.

What way do the playoffs work then? Is it the 1st two seeds get a bye and then 3rd plays 6th and 4th plays 5th?

yeah, and then the highest remaining seed will play the number 2 seed and the lowest remaining seed plays the number 1 team.

Just realised I can now be pipped to 2nd seed by the Cowboys. Starters may need to play!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

SantryRed wrote: »
    Just realised I can now be pipped to 2nd seed by the Cowboys. Starters may need to play!!!!

Muhahahhahahaha

SantryRed wrote: »

Leaves me with a big choice.

I'd definitely expect you to win with your starters playing, and that will guarantee you 2nd seed even if I win. If I play my starters against the Redskins and end up without the 2nd seed but coming out with injuries to say Bradshaw for example I'd be absolutely fucked for the playoffs. Do I take the chance and risk them? I was lucky today with Steve Johnson only picking up a 1 week injury so maybe that's a sign :pac:

Just on that, if I do want to play my second string do I have to adjust my depth chart? Or is there a button I can press which would be much handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

The Raiders Packers game will be played after the Cowboys game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Just on that, if I do want to play my second string do I have to adjust my depth chart? Or is there a button I can press which would be much handier.

Depth chart

Only takes a minute or two

Updated

NFC Playoffs:

The playoff picture is getting clearer

NFC North

Green Bay will advance to the playoffs as the number 2 seed and get a first round bye

NFC East

The cowboys win the division and will advance to the playoffs as the number 3 seed

NFC South:

The Falcons will advance to the playoffs as the number four seed.

NFC West:

The Cardinals will advance to the playoffs as the number 1 seed and will have a first round bye.

Wildcards:

The other wildcard spot remains up for grabs.

Bears (9-6), Lions (9-6),

Bears play Lions in Week 17 with winner advancing to the playoffs as the number 6 seed.

Currently

1. Cardinals
    2. Packers
    3. Cowboys
    4. Falcons
    5. 49ers
    6. Bears/Lions

Advertisement