Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nitrate & Nitrite too high!

Options
  • 28-03-2012 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Recently added a few fish to a full cycled tank.
    Since then the nitrate and nitrite level have gone quite high...
    I am guessing that not having fish in there for a few days, the bacteria in the filter must have died. I have been doing 25L water changes per day (120L tank) for 3 days now and it is lowering but only a bit. I just bought some filterboost (JBL) to help just in case that is the problem. Fish all seem ok though, Dwarf Gourami is fine, few tetras fine, Minature albino Pleco seems fine all feeding.. Water temp is 25 degrees..

I was going to do another 25L water change this evening, add the filter boost and stop feeding them for a few days but please if there is anything else I can do please let me know... I just picked up some aqua salt and was going to add that as well..

On another note, I added 2 pieces of driftwood last weekend and one of them seems to have a fungus growing on it. I took it out last night and boiled it for about 3 hours.. A horrible smell and colour came off it and burnt my pan so I might not put that bit back in.
    I didnt realised after only a few days the white furry fungus would grow on this, is this normal? Would this have any affect on the levels in the water or any cause of the nitrate and nitrite to shoot up?

Thanks in advance,
    Cian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

not sure about the driftwood, but if anything had a fungus on it, id be making sure it was well clean before putting it back in. I wouldnt consider that normal.

Your bacteria should survive for a few days without fish really, assuming they were kept in the tank and filter/heater were all still on? But your data suggests there may be a problem.

You are doing the right thing, minimal food, multiple water changes til nitrites get down. What levels are they at?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

fungun wrote: »
    not sure about the driftwood, but if anything had a fungus on it, id be making sure it was well clean before putting it back in. I wouldnt consider that normal.

Your bacteria should survive for a few days without fish really, assuming they were kept in the tank and filter/heater were all still on? But your data suggests there may be a problem.

You are doing the right thing, minimal food, multiple water changes til nitrites get down. What levels are they at?

Yeah I left everything running..

The levels have dropped a bit.

The Ph was about 7.4 before changing, Sunday it was 6.8, today it is 6.5...
    Ammonia was 0.25 but now is 0
    Nitrite was up to 5.0ppm! But after doing the water changes and using aqua salt, it is down to normal now at 0ppm
    Nitrate is still very high though. Today it tested at 20ppm.

Do you think that bacteria died and it is really cycling all over again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

From my recent experience, that sounds likely....

Have a look here to see a similar situation I found myself in.

Al.

alproctor wrote: »
    From my recent experience, that sounds likely....

Have a look here to see a similar situation I found myself in.

Al.

jeasus yeah sounds similar alright! My fish were fine through out though. Until Whitespot entered my tank last night:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

When the water quality deteriorates, the fish become very susceptible to disease as their immune system has broken down. A lot of those parasites are always there in the tank, but only when the fish are weak do they take hold.

• Advertisement

When the water quality deteriorates, the fish become very susceptible to disease as their immune system has broken down. A lot of those parasites are always there in the tank, but only when the fish are weak do they take hold.

makes perfect sense.

Lost one german ram but the other is taking well to the treatment. He is the only one left that is still on the cards, hopefuly he will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

The fungus growing on the wood is quite normal and Plecos love it.
    I would be wary of the smell though..

Be careful adding filter boost bacteria to a tank already containing fish
    as it can increase the nitrites in the water.

Keep doing what you are doing. The salt will help against blood poisoning
    from the nitrite but the Pleco won`t appreciate it.

Do you know anyone who can give you filter squeezings from one of there
    tanks. If you are really stuck I can give you some. I live on the northside
    of Dublin. It will sort your tank our instantly..

Advertisement