Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Household Charge in Broomfield, Midleton

Options
  • 28-03-2012 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

I noticed on the Household Charge website FAQ that Broomfield is listed as an "unfinished estate" and so it appears that all the residents get away with no charge.

Is this really the case that the biggest estate in the Midleton area is exempt?

Many of those houses have been completed and lived in for years so why should there be no charge for the free services they receive ?

We have no water, sewerage or street lighting and are liable for the full charge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

there are a number of uncompleted areas in Broomfield (complete with abandoned scaffolding, falling down fences and so on), and I presume this is why Broomfield is exempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 gmb

deRanged wrote: »
    there are a number of uncompleted areas in Broomfield (complete with abandoned scaffolding, falling down fences and so on), and I presume this is why Broomfield is exempt.

My point is though that there are large areas of Broomfield that are a long way from those unfinished areas. So to exempt the whole estate seems a little crazy.

Whilst I appreciate that those people in the vicinity of the abandoned development are affected and should be exempt, the only inconvenience to those a long way from those areas is to notice as they drive past.

If this broad brush approach is taken then they may as well exempt the whole of Midleton. I think this just goes to show the idiocy of the charge and the ineptitude of those who created the rules

I wish I hadn't paid now when I realise the inequality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

St Colman's Park in Macroom is on the list too. It's completed 30 or 40 years at this stage.....
    My point is though that there are large areas of Broomfield that are a long way from those unfinished areas. So to exempt the whole estate seems a little crazy.
    Bit odd - I've seen some estates on the list where only certain parts were exempted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 gmb

Also Cois Na Farraige in Whitegate where all the houses are finished

The developer is still renting out properties there so it is hardly abandoned

Anyone who pays this charge (including me) is a mug

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭CorkBabe33

I'm guessing the reason is that Broomfield doesn't belong to any council? Isn't the household charge supposed to go to councils so that they can provide services within their area. McInerneys hadn't handed Broomfield over before they went bust. I think that's the reason. I live in Broomfield & I wouldn't be paying it whether we were exempt or not !!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement